Page 89 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1454

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Interesting (see bellow image) the idea of these magic realms connected by the Rock of Eternity, was being set-up from the go of his run.
    I guess he's been sitting on that for a while.
    I'm glad he's embracing the truly whimsical, magic side of the character, and universe.

And LOL^ The Captain Marvel Santa image he's referencing.

or.-

https://io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-...mic-1827938804
    I wanted to inject all that into a superhero book, because it feels new and unique to me. So, I came up with the idea that there’s seven realms of magic that are all connected by the Rock of Eternity, and [Billy Batson and his friends] will explore those realms. Uncovering the ideas and mythologies and characters, just cracking open a magical corner of the DC universe that’s never been seen that’s more fun, more bright and colorful—with some danger to it.

I’m trying to do something in the tone and the style of, “If the Fawcett comics had continued to evolve over the decades, here’s where they’d evolve to.” There’s a real charm to the old Captain Marvel books. Specifically, there’s a cover I love where Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel are flying with Santa Claus. I want to do stuff where, if we did a cover like that, which we’re going to, it fits right in with the rest of the book. That’s what this book and world is. It makes Shazam! different from every other book on the stands, every other character on the stands, every book I’m working on.
    LOL WOW they were not kidding about embracing this stuff full-on!
    Dale Eaglesham takes it further, they are not only hauling Santa, but also a tree, Mis Claus, her Kitchen? And the whole Santa house!???

SHAZAM! #2
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art and cover by DALE EAGLESHAM
    variant cover by CHRIS SAMNEE
    “Shazam! and the Seven Kingdoms” part two! The acclaimed team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Dale Eaglesham continue the first all-new ongoing SHAZAM! title in decades!
    Billy Batson has uncovered a secret deep within the Rock of Eternity that sends him on his most personal mission yet—one that threatens to tear apart his family! Meanwhile, the truth behind the Rock of Eternity’s purpose and its forbidden past unveils new and familiar worlds (that Dale may go mad drawing)! Plus… talking animals?!
    ON SALE 12.19.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    Also for those afraid they were going to stay away from the more whimsical aspect of the Fawcett universe, make note:
    - "TALKING ANIMALS?!"

Story: "mission —that threatens to tear apart his family!" ... "truth behind the Rock of Eternity’s purpose and its forbidden past" all sound intriguing.
    Really looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-23-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

LOL WOW they were not kidding about embracing this stuff full-on!

Also for those afraid they were going to stay away from the more whimsical aspect of the Fawcett universe, make note:
    - "TALKING ANIMALS?!"
    That was my first thought when I saw that, too. Honestly, my hopes are high for this series, and that Christmas image raised them higher.

Also, Darla’s hair changed again. This one is my favorite look so far.

WOW! 324 pages for 50 cents! What a great Christmas Special!

It's strange, it adds nothing to the character, and if anything it visually robs him of the famous connection to Elvis, who somewhat molded his image off Freddy.
    Also the lightning emblem color (on all of them) seems to be switched to blue? Those two simple color corrections, would go a long way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Also, Darla’s hair changed again. This one is my favorite look so far.
    Has it changed again?, seems to be Eaglesham's new and consistent take on her from the go.

I wonder if he is somewhat basing Darla's adult look on what Meagan Good will look like in the upcoming movie.
    ((*note above^ is not the same or her from the movie, nor did I suggest it was, just an example of how Meagan has worn her hair)
    I imagine Dale and Geoff have access to what Meagan will be looking like and what they will all look like as adults in the movie.

That said Darla looks great, yet are we still allowed to gripe about Freddy's "new" hair?
    It not only conflicts with his upcoming movie look, but some 77 years of history, and betrays the classic Elvis look the character was famously known for inspiring.
    I freakin loathe what they've done there... LOL!

Also it looks like the colorist is sticking with the new blue energy lightning bolts? Which just seems off to me.
    And LOL, these are minor gripes. ...love what I'm seeing here.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-23-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Has it changed again?, seems to be Eaglesham's new and consistent take on her from the go.

I wonder if he is somewhat basing Darla's adult look on what Meagan Good will look like in the upcoming movie.
    ((*note above^ is not the same or her from the movie, nor did I suggest it was, just an example of how Meagan has worn her hair)
    I imagine Dale and Geoff have access to what Meagan will be looking like and what they will all look like as adults in the movie.

That said Darla looks great, yet are we still allowed to gripe about Freddy's "new" hair?
    It not only conflicts with his upcoming movie look, but some 77 years of history, and betrays the classic Elvis look the character was famously known for inspiring.
    I freakin loathe what they've done there... LOL!

Also it looks like the colorist is sticking with the new blue energy lightning bolts? Which just seems off to me.
    And LOL, these are minor gripes. ...love what I'm seeing here.
    Yeah, I’m not fond of the Fabio look, either. :P Hopefully they come up with something better later, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Yeah, I’m not fond of the Fabio look, either. :P Hopefully they come up with something better later, but it’s not a deal breaker.
    Same. I really, really dislike that they have dumped Freddy's characterization and visual (especially for something so generic), but it's not a big enough issue that I'll pass on the title.

Still, it would be 1000% better if they were handling Freddy with his rockabilly vibe. It's a easy character marker to use, and there are still kids out there who dig the retro thing.

I really doubt this, but maybe there's a plan for Freddy. I mean, Sivana was a tall, bulky, Lex Luthor-ish looking guy until the last issue of the backup where his body finally succumbed to the magic and now he looks as he should (well, magic-y eye notwithstanding). Perhaps Johns has a similar arc for Freddy, and we just haven't reached it yet? Yeah, I doubt it too but we can always hope, right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Same. I really, really dislike that they have dumped Freddy's characterization and visual (especially for something so generic), but it's not a big enough issue that I'll pass on the title.

I really doubt this, but maybe there's a plan for Freddy. I mean, Sivana was a tall, bulky, Lex Luthor-ish looking guy until the last issue of the backup where his body finally succumbed to the magic and now he looks as he should (well, magic-y eye notwithstanding). Perhaps Johns has a similar arc for Freddy, and we just haven't reached it yet? Yeah, I doubt it too but we can always hope, right?
    I don't think there is, or will be any in-story explanation or evolution of it.
    I honestly think the "thinking" behind it was as simplistic as this...
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    ... it helps him to appear more visually distinct. Before, all 3 of them had black hair. Now, though, there are 6 of them, and making them all have black/dark-colored hair, y
    Which is pretty outrageous first "all three of them" didn't have black hair, Marry's was always and still is brown .
    Nobody paying attention ever confused civilian Billy with Freddy who always looked and dressed different and (still is) always drawn with crutches.
    Or confused the transformed Billy with Freddy who wears a distinct Blue outfit.
    How was anyone confusing them?
    As to variety in the new kids, their varying shapes, sizes, ethnicity all distinguish them perfectly, and show plenty of variety and diversity, mission accomplished.
    Nobody is confusing them.
    If anything if they actually wanted to add more variety they could have made Freddy part native American, and kept his look and further connection to Elvis who was also part Native American.
    Which is a significant historical and cultural connection to betray, kids looking at the fully blond character today will never see that.
    If anyone Pedro could easily be drawn with lighter brown hair but it' not even necessary, rather than completley forsaking Freddy's look to where he's unrecognizable.

As to their adult forms, shapes Pedro gets a beard, Eugene hair gets spiked, and Darla are all more than obvious. And color coded costumes distinguish them even further.
    What's the problem? Not variety.
    The reason is now that they are suddenly to much alike after 77 years, when nobody confused them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Still, it would be 1000% better if they were handling Freddy with his rockabilly vibe. It's a easy character marker to use, and there are still kids out there who dig the retro thing.
    Agree, great dynamic, and visual characterization to play with, from the hair, the way he dresses to the way he even stands and carries himself.

Again minor gripe, won't keep from the title. ...over all love what I'm seeing here.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-24-2018 at 03:42 AM.

Which is pretty outrageous first "all three of them" didn't have black hair, Marry's was always and still is brown .
    Nobody paying attention ever confused civilian Billy with Freddy who always looked and dressed different and (still is) always drawn with crutches.
    As to variety in the new kids, their varying shapes, sizes, ethnicity all distinguish them perfectly, and show plenty of variety and diversity, mission accomplished.
    If anything if they actually wanted to add more variety they could have made Freddy part native American, and kept his look and further connection to Elvis who was also part Native American.
    Which is a significant historical and cultural connection to betray, kids looking at the fully blond character today will never see that.
    If anyone Pedro could easily be drawn with lighter brown hair but it' not even necessary, rather than completley forsaking Freddy's look to where he's unrecognizable.

As to their adult forms, shapes Pedro gets a beard, Eugene hair gets spiked, and Darla are all more than obvious. And color coded costumes distinguish them even further.
    The reason that they are suddenly to much alike after 77 years, when nobody confused them?
    I will second this opinion. While I don’t hate his blond kid form, I would have preferred him as part Native American and with a rockabilly lean, too. You could keep the mischievous part, as those aren’t mutually exclusive, and it’s would have given him more of a fleshing out.

Astonishing Member

The reason is now that they are suddenly to much alike after 77 years, when nobody confused them?

Agree, great dynamic, and visual characterization to play with, from the hair, the way he dresses to the way he even stands and carries himself.

Again minor gripe, won't keep from the title. ...over all love what I'm seeing here.
    That was more me providing a speculation as to why they changed Freddy's hair to blonde. And while I may be off with Mary having had brown hair instead of black, her hair was still dark. With the additions of Darla, Eugene, and Pedro, who all also have dark colored hair, all 6 of them would have had it, which doesn't lead much in the realm of visual distinction.

In the end, I guess I seem to be the only one who has an understanding of why they did it, and who, beyond that, actually likes the change.

As to the whole 'rockabilly' thing, I didn't even know that was a thing with Freddy's character prior, even when I read older (though not old) stuff with him in it. Like, this is something new to me that I only noticed because posters in this thread point it out every time the topic of the disdain for Freddy's blond hair comes up (not sure how they are strictly related, either). I had to google the word, too. While they could still give him the love for the style of music, they have to be careful, as doing it solely because "that's what was done before" would just date this contemporary take on the character.

As to the whole 'rockabilly' thing, I didn't even know that was a thing with Freddy's character prior,
    It's not, it's more a contemporary way to further distinguish him subtly without betraying the character visually, and a retroactive nod to the person he famously influenced.
    Which is somewhat lost with the extreme hair length and color change.

.. all also have dark colored hair, all 6 of them would have had it, which doesn't lead much in the realm of visual distinction.
    They are already visually distinct. Further as adults they all wear color coded uniforms.
    The dramatic hair change to where he's near unrecognizable wasn't really necessary.

In the end, I guess I seem to be the only one who has an understanding of why they did it.
    LOL no^, we all understand and recognize the simplistic reason why they did it.
    Just not everyone thinks it looks good, or was even necessary.

I'm Fabio
    \

No I'm not, Relax
    \

And again this is a pretty minor gripe, still until everyone is used to Freddy being a long-haired-blond (not likely that easy with 77 years of history, and even the movie reinforcing his more classic look), unless it's abandoned, it'll likely keep coming up.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-24-2018 at 01:40 PM.

LOL no^, we all understand and recognize the simplistic reason they did it.
    Just not everyone thinks it looks good, or was even necessary.
    Absolutely. I get what they were thinking, I just think it was a wrong-headed choice. They introduced three new heroes; if DC wanted a Shazam to have a different hair color, it should have come from one of the new faces.

This seems to make Freddy *less* distinct than he was, not more. Before he had various shades of Elvis visual appeal (depending on the artist and era, they'd play up his collar, etc) which you don't really see elsewhere. Now he's just another dude with long blonde hair. And it feels like a change no one put any real thought into, they just figured they'd change Freddy and picked the most obvious opposites; black hair to blonde, short to long. If they wanted to make Freddy more distinct, they should have pushed deeper into the Elvis-rockabilly vibe, not change long-standing elements of the character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

More fantastic SHAZAMILY! Fan art - https://www.deviantart.com/phil-cho/...h-27-763810779

Last edited by Güicho; 09-24-2018 at 01:47 PM.

More fantastic SHAZAMILY! Fan art - https://www.deviantart.com/phil-cho/...h-27-763810779

Gotta say, I love these designs, especially for Pedro, Eugene, and most of all Freddy.

Gotta say, I love these designs, especially for Pedro, Eugene, and most of all Freddy.
    Agree.
    Besides Freddy's correct hair color.
    All the kids look great.
    And transformed I always loved the lapel buttoned to one side look, as well as the rope element holding the capes. And in that image I can imagine them all going by a military rank Captain, Lieutenant etc...
    Also Mary in white, Eugene in Green, flipped with Pedro (now in orange) , which reads right to me too.

I'm not a fan of Eugene having the same color uniform as Adam, he does look better in Green.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I don't think any of the kids who get the Shazam power given to them should be as powerful as Billy,
    Not sure where yuo got that? They aren't all "just as powerful as Billy", other than flight they each appear to share mainly just one main attribute of his power.
    Pedro-Strength, Darla-Speed, Eugene-Wisdom (which doesn't even manifest the same).
    Freddy Stamina and Mary Courage are a bit more vague, particularly Mary who they seem to have hinted has a connection to the magic herself, and potentially share all the attributes.
    But John's didn't invent that those two Freddy and Mary always got all his same powers, so not sure how you blame Johns for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    More Geoff trying to make things generic by making everyone on the same footing, Conner Kent and the entire emotional spectrum comes to mind
    And Billy could always share his power with the Lieutenant Marvels. Johns didn't make that up either.
    Following up with this here too:

So far SHAZAM Billy is the only one shown to be able to call on and have all the powers.
    He was able to share them divide them among the new family. but they emphasized one power each.
    Although how exactly Mary and Freddy's specific power manifest was vague.

Mary - Courage - I'd really emphasis this, while the others might hesitate in a few situations, she should fearlessly step-up.
    Freddy - Stamina - Love this one, while as civilian he's in crutches, powered up he should outlast them all.
    Eugene - Wisdom - Manifests his own unique way used to communicate with technology.
    Pedro -Strength
    Darla - Speed

Plus they all gained flight, and some vague level of strength endurance etc...
    Also it's significant that sharing this power especially after extending it to Tawny as well, weakened Billy.
    So it's not something he could (so far) maintain indefinitely (although the implication is he was still learning what he could or couldn't do) , which should play out in the further books.
    So far it's only Billy who has all the powers, and powered them up.
    And I'm fine with that being how it works, (for a bit anyway)

If the kids will eventually be able to access the power themselves, remains to be seen.
    Significant were clues to Mary connecting to the "magic" directly all on her own.
    And her being tied to Billy directly - as in being actual siblings.
    Which should be revealed, and play out as the title continues.

So she may be, and should be the first to call-on, and access the full power-set directly on her own.
    And yes she should be pretty much just as powerful.

As far as a hint that they are indeed twins....

[IMG]

And this epic shot (although she embodies courage) definitely puts them on some equal footing as far as power,
    How it manifest long term in Freddy and the others, we will see?
    As far as my preference, I'd be fine with Billy and Mary being the ones who can call-on and access the full power-set on their own.
    While the others need to be powered up by one of them. And mostly channel one specific power/attribute, distinguishing a unique take on the specific ability.
    Although I'd be fine with it if they can eventually call on it themselves too.
    While Freddy's stamina being pretty vague (I guess he can outlast the others?), it should read as pretty much just as powerful. And the others, I'd again leave it as is pretty vague as to the over-all powers, but always emphasis them excelling in their specific attributes.
    Speed, Wisdom, Strength.

So yeah, While Billy and Mary I'd want to have and excel in all the powers, Freddy should be able to just outlast them in some aspects. Darla, should be able to just slightly sneak past them in speed specifically, Pedro should be able to lift just a tiny bit more. And Eugene as we've seen manifests wisdom always his own unique way.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2018 at 04:45 PM.