Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1454

LOL yeah, people assuming the whole character on just a few clips? (not just here, in many trailer reviews)
    Just cause in any trailer you want to tell a quick story narrative, all the Billy scenes they chose are him being intense for dramatic set up purposes, which then shift to when he's SHAZAM = ...is when all the fun begins!

At abt 1:30 you see a bit of (immature) Billy joking around too.
    And in that you see Zach Levi actually surprisingly reads incredibly well as that same kid, in an adult form.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-08-2018 at 07:18 AM.

A better shot of the Wizard's staff...

Definitely the same, reveals Sivana gets his hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Wow they are really pushing the powered up magic-Sivana for the film, and as a counterpart brawler to SHAZAM.

I know Sivana has pursued Magic even gotten powered up before.
    But I prefer him as the classic mad scientist, cleverly working behind the scenes and getting or manipulating others to do his fighting.

So powered up, he's very much reading as a hybrid of Sivana and Adam.
    That catching a punch scene above^ , is almost exact from the N52 Shazam, they just switched Adam with Sivana.
    Now seeing him cary a magic staff? ...

In Johns' and Frank's N52 Sivana has a hand in releasing Teth Adam, and is exposed to magic, hence his "blinded" eye, which actually allows him to see magic?
    Yet it's Adam, and the released Deadly Sins who are the main big 3rd act actual physical fight.
    Not Sivana, who is mostly manipulating things.

It's a little weird seeing Sivana forced into this lead brawler role and pushing him as a straight magic user.

Hopefully it reads right in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Sivanna’s role is the one aspect that kind worries me about the movie. It seems like he’s less of the classic mad scientist and more like a stand in for Black Adam. There’s a rumor that this version of Sivanna was almost granted the power of Shazam when he was a kid but was passed over by the Wizard, so now he holds a grudge.
    I guess that ^ works.
    N52 Shazam begins with the implication sevral people were pulled to the Rock of Eternity and rejected, before the Wizard finds Billy.
    So yeah Sivana (a scientist) looking for a way to save his family, is now convinced there is magic out there, that if he can access it, he can use it to his own ends.
    So he's still a scientist, just in pursuit of magic, which in his world he now knows exists.

It reads different enough from Adam, who actually was chosen as a Champion, but in wanting to do "good" let the power corrupt him, becoming more of an anti-hero, which will play out in his own film.

I do hope like in N52 they show the magic is corrupting Sivana, and he is slowly degrading into his more familiar Max Schreck (Count Orlok) look, ...and they need to add the thick glasses which we know he does get at the end of 52 - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3889300

SHAZAM Magic corrupt.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I liked how they did it in the Nu52 comics where the power itself is what twisted him into the small frail man. He starts out big and buff and the power burns him out leaving him looking more like the classic Dr. Sivana. To me it creates more of a reason why Sivana really hates Shazam too.

I agree that that was a great way to showcase Sivana's progression. Rather than naturally make him this nebbish, evil scientist stereotype, they introduced him as the healthy, fit, and buff man that you'd expect of a modern archaeologist that's doing field work out in ruins and such. Then, the misused magic begins to ravage his otherwise healthy body, due to not being able to handle it, such that he begins looking like this classic design. It's a way to give him the look in a logical (for comic books) fashion, rather than "he's evil so he looks ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-...mic-1827938804

...wanted to inject all that into a superhero book, because it feels new and unique to me. So, I came up with the idea that there’s seven realms of magic that are all connected by the Rock of Eternity, and [Billy Batson and his friends] will explore those realms. Uncovering the ideas and mythologies and characters, just cracking open a magical corner of the DC universe that’s never been seen that’s more fun, more bright and colorful—with some danger to it.
    Interesting (see bellow image from N52 SAZAM! backups) the idea of these magic realms connected by the Rock of Eternity, was being set-up from the go of his run.
    I guess he's been sitting on that for a while.
    I'm glad he's embracing the truly whimsical, magic side of the character, and universe.

SHAZAM! #1
    written by GEOFF JOHNS
    art and cover by DALE EAGLESHAM

....when Shazam unlocks a shocking secret deep within the Rock of Eternity, it challenges everything he knows about the worlds of magic and his family’s future as its champions! Also, witness the bizarre team-up of Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind as they set off to build a society all their own! Don’t miss the start of an epic run in the making as “Shazam and the Seven Realms” begins!
    ON SALE 11.21.18
    Hopefully Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham's upcoming: Rock of Eternity and the Seven Realms of Magic ongoing SHAZAM! series, opens the Fawcett flood gates, ...
    So anyone know if there was any specific precedence in the classic Fawcett titles, fore these "Seven Realms"?
    (or anywhere else in the DCU?)
    Any specific ideas what they might allude to, or could be?

Also (besides the great hint towards the return of the Monster Society) nobody has any ideas or guesses to this... ?
    .... We only got a glimpse of Sivana's transform, and who and what lies ahead (Mr. Mind)?, and the ground-work hint of the seven realms of magic.
    I can't wait to see where it all goes next!

I was wondering why Mr.Mind was "trapped" in the Rock of Eternity.
    Also the intro of the character in the mirror reflection, who served as a bit of a guide to Billy, is also there.
    I wonder if there will be other similar objects or beings, in the Rock of Eternity revealed, likely as hints of these other realms?
    And hopefully used as a vehicle to introduce more of the oddball classic characters (and villains) too.
    ?

Help me out, while I was reading N52 Justice League as it came out (honestly I ended up reading it mostly for the SHAZAM! backups)
    As the JL title began to tie-into the next big event I dropped, it. And the SHAZAM! backups had ended anyway.
    So, I'm wondering, was this character in the mirror, who guided Billy, ever explored further?
    Were she (and Mr.Mind) prisoners in the Rock of Eternity?
    Were they guests?
    Was the mirror just a gateway/window from another realm?
    Did she turn out to be significant in that event I never read?
    Was it ever revealed who exactly she was? Or her (if any) connection to the Rock of Eternity?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Help me out, while I was reading N52 Justice League as it came out (honestly I ended up reading it mostly for the SHAZAM! backups)
    As the JL title began to tie-into the next big event I dropped, it. And the SHAZAM! backups had ended anyway.
    So, I'm wondering, was this character in the mirror, who guided Billy, ever explored further?
    Were they guests?
    Was it ever revealed who exactly she was? Or her (if any) connection to the Rock of Eternity?

Thanks!
    I don't believe Johns ever revisited any of those concepts actually. The backup in JL ended and Billy joined the League in the next arc, but Johns never returned to the subplots and characters from his Shazam backup. Word was we were supposed to get a ongoing within a year of the backup ending but it never materialized until now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I struggled to understand detractors "wild hatred" of Johns' DCnU Billy Batson when the character was so intriguing and nuanced and belied a hidden depth and goodness that we got savor rising within him, chapter by chapter. His Billy and the rest of the characters' personalities and story beats were the most interesting the Shazam cast (heroes, villains, supporting characters, and <ahem> tigers) has ever been - at once grounded in their mortal foibles and/or zeal and/or POVs and juxtaposed by their joy and/or tyranny in their marvelous forms.

Everyone (Billy, Black Adam, the Wizard, Sivana, Freddie, Mary, etc) was just trying to "figure it out" (i.e. life) and it was so refreshing that no one was perfectly good or perfectly evil.

I liked Captain Marvel before, but I never found him compelling. This brief story changed that. Now, out of all the dualities out there; Clark Kent/Superman, Bruce Wayne/Batman, Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, or Peter Parker/Spider-Man; I find Billy Batson/Shazam the most intriguing. Johns hit all the right notes of a somewhat troubled, somewhat traumatized, but ultimately heroic teen gaining one of myth's great wishes of all time. And I can't wait to see that play out with his character, and his new family, and the new threats and discoveries (e.g. a long lost sis) he'll make.

Maybe it was easier for me because I had no expectations going in and just wanted an interesting read on a character that's been around for a long time. Johns and Frank stayed true to the character and the concept and his mythology with some new twists - and it was fulfilling to me. You really can't ask for more as a longtime comic's reader, at least one who's not stuck in a particular "it must be this way" era for a character. I can't wait to see what Johns and Eaglesham do with the characters and concepts and themes in the new series.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 09-16-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I struggled to understand detractors "wild hatred" of Johns' DCnU Billy Batson when the character was so intriguing and nuanced and belied a hidden depth and goodness that we got savor rising within him, chapter by chapter. His Billy and the rest of the characters' personalities and story beats were the most interesting the Shazam cast (heroes, villains, supporting characters, and <ahem> tigers) has ever been - at once grounded in their mortal foibles and/or zeal and/or POVs and juxtaposed by their joy and/or tyranny in their marvelous forms.

Everyone (Billy, Black Adam, the Wizard, Sivana, Freddie, Mary, etc) was just trying to "figure it out" (i.e. life) and it was so refreshing that no one was perfectly good or perfectly evil.

I liked Captain Marvel before, but I never found him compelling. This brief story changed that. Now, out of all the dualities out there; Clark Kent/Superman, Bruce Wayne/Batman, Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, or Peter Parker/Spider-Man; I find Billy Batson/Shazam the most intriguing. Johns hit all the right notes of a somewhat troubled, somewhat traumatized, but ultimately heroic teen gaining one of myth's great wishes of all time. And I can't wait to see that play out with his character, and his new family, and the new threats and discoveries (e.g. a long lost sis) he'll make.

Maybe it was easier for me because I had no expectations going in and just wanted an interesting read on a character that's been around for a long time. Johns and Frank stayed true to the character and the concept and his mythology with some new twists - and it was fulfilling to me. You really can't ask for more as a longtime comic's reader, at least one who's not stuck in a particular "it must be this way" era for a character. I can't wait to see what Johns and Eaglesham do with the characters and concepts and themes in the new series.
    Honestly, New 52 Billy wasn’t to my taste, but just about everything else was. I think the set up was awesome, loved the idea of the foster family, I actually like New 52 Freddy more than I like classic Freddy (blasphemy, I know), and I find the idea of Sivana trying to use magic highly intriguing.

I don’t mind Billy being flawed, but in my opinion, Johns made him too much of a brat. I think the movie looks like they’ve dialed it back to a level that’s more to my taste. (That said, I’m not going to pull the “true fan” line. That bugs me no matter who says it.)

One question I have is why do so many people hate Darla? She pretty much is a peppier classic Billy as a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    One question I have is why do so many people hate Darla? She pretty much is a peppier classic Billy as a girl.
    I've never seen or can't remember anyone hating Darla specifically? (maybe another thread?) Or I just ignored it cause that's so ridiculous.

She was great, Billy almost broke her heart, then she unflappably saw right threw his phony I need to reject everything and everyone so nobody will want me angst, and instead just loved him right back.
    ( I wish more of the fans were like her, and knew how to "read" Billy )

Hopefully her Uncle is eventually revealed, and he shows up, bringing lots of trouble and fun!

There is some posters here who seems to hate the whole idea of the Shazam family, which seems to go against the whole point of what Billy can do, and what he inspires.

I struggled to understand detractors "wild hatred" of Johns' DCnU Billy Batson when the character was so intriguing and nuanced and belied a hidden depth and goodness that we got savor rising within him, chapter by chapter. ...
    Me too, and it's not just their "wild hatred" it's like they made it their mission to make sure everyone else had to hate it too.
    And some of them hadn't even read it all?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.

I've never seen or can't remember anyone hating Darla? (maybe another thread?) Or I just ignored it cause that's so ridiculous.

She was great, Billy almost broke her heart, then she unflappably saw right threw his phony I need to reject everything and everyone so nobody loves me angst , and instead just loved him right back.
    ( I wish more of the fans were like her)
    I think it was another site, though I can’t remember where. The reviewer found her obnoxious and called her the worst part of the story, and a few people agreed with him.

I didn’t get it, but as I said before, I actually like the foster siblings angle.

Hopefully her Uncle is eventually revealed, and he shows up, bringing lots of trouble and fun!
    I know, right? I know I want them to be related, even if some people don’t agree.

Me too, and it's not just their "wild hatred" it's like they made it their mission to make sure everyone else had to hate it too.
    I can’t speak for others, but personally, I have a hard time caring about someone when the first impressions we get of someone are that they’re being nasty. Maybe if they had shown him be nice, then try to cover it over by pretending to be a brat to make it clear it was a mask, it would have gone over better.

That said, I am willing to give the upcoming series a chance. I don’t really believe in wildly hating something in a comic book.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 09-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There are actually people who hate Darla?

She was my favorite of the new kids. I hope she gets a lot of usage coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Honestly, New 52 Billy wasn’t to my taste, but just about everything else was. I think the set up was awesome, loved the idea of the foster family, I actually like New 52 Freddy more than I like classic Freddy (blasphemy, I know), and I find the idea of Sivana trying to use magic highly intriguing.

I don’t mind Billy being flawed, but in my opinion, Johns made him too much of a brat. I think the movie looks like they’ve dialed it back to a level that’s more to my taste. (That said, I’m not going to pull the “true fan” line. That bugs me no matter who says it.)

I liked and had no problem with the "brat" angle as I read it as a protective/defensive mode or cover up for how Billy truly feels. Brat characters, like bullies, often use the disposition as a coping mechanism...they don't bother me, because I'm mostly like, "how is this going to play out for this character?"

The days of one dimensional brat and bully characters seemed to die in the 80s and early 90s. I guess I didn't buy it as a long term stance for Billy, so I was more interested in how he was going to change or overcome it. And that made for interesting reading. :: shrugs shoulders ::

I love Darla. I think some people (fanboys) hate cute and earnest characters (which is weird considering how often Billy is historically portrayed that way, at least the latter) and/or there's racist sentiment out there, which is HORRIFYING.

(But unsurprising considering the sad, tired, misguided DnC and Comicsgate world we live in.)

Here's hoping Darla kicks some a$$ in the new series by Johns and Eaglesham.

Exactly. Why are you all up in this when you didn't like the little bit you heard about and didn't read because of what you heard?

Human nature and some people's dedication to "having to be right" and/or have people (or a mob) agree with them is strange.

I love a lot of characters, but literally spend no time demonizing others if they like a version of a character (I love) that I don't gravitate towards.

I'm curious what they'll do with Mr. Mind, based on his portrayal in the last chapter.

Sivana seems vastly improved to me, with new motivations and at least one ability to view magic. I hope we get to see his wife and kids though, as another take on the family theme in the title.

The same goes for Black Adam and Rebirth Isis and Osiris. I'd also be curious to have the the Wizard and Lord Satanus and Lady Blaze's story told. As far as I know, the identity of their mother with the Wizard has never been revealed.

Between Mrs. Batson, Mrs. Sivana, and the mother of Satanus and Blaze, that's a lot of missing maternal figures in the Shazam mythology that I'd like to see get explored alongside the paternal figures.

I liked and had no problem with the "brat" angle as I read it as a protective/defensive mode or cover up for how Billy truly feels. Brat characters, like bullies, often use the disposition as a coping mechanism...they don't bother me, because I'm mostly like, "how is this going to play out for this character?"

The days of one dimensional brat and bully characters seemed to die in the 80s and early 90s. I guess I didn't buy it as a long term stance for Billy, so I was more interested in how he was going to change or overcome it. And that made for interesting reading. :: shrugs shoulders ::
    As I said, a bad first impression can ruin it for a lot of people.

I’m willing to give the new series a chance, though.

I love Darla. I think some people (fanboys) hate cute and earnest characters (which is weird considering how often Billy is historically portrayed that way, at least the latter) and/or there's racist sentiment out there, which is HORRIFYING.

Here's hoping Darla kicks some a$$ in the new series by Johns and Eaglesham.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There are actually people who hate Darla?

She was my favorite of the new kids. I hope she gets a lot of usage coming up.
    Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't believe Johns ever revisited any of those concepts actually. The backup in JL ended and Billy joined the League in the next arc, but Johns never returned to the subplots and characters from his Shazam backup. Word was we were supposed to get a ongoing within a year of the backup ending but it never materialized until now.
    Thanks! yeah although I loved the Shazam back-ups, and somewhat enjoyed the JL reboot, I just could not follow the book into another event. So I dropped it (and the other JLA title at the time), kind of missed Billy actually joining the League.
    And was left wondering about (among other things) the girl in the reflection.

Edit: Although I'm remembering, and looking at the wiki now, the event was Trinity War, where a character "Pandora" seems to feature prominently, and Johns apparently seeded into many books building to the event.

That wasn't her was it?

If not, I imagine we might finally get the explanation of who/what she was, and why Mr. Mind was at the Rock of Eternity, and more, in the new ongoing.
    Looking forward to it.

I was wondering why Mr.Mind was "trapped" in the Rock of Eternity.
    Also the intro of the character in the mirror reflection, who served as a bit of a guide to Billy, is also there.
    I wonder if there will be other similar objects or beings, in the Rock of Eternity revealed, likely as hints of these other realms?
    And hopefully used as a vehicle to introduce more of the oddball classic characters (and villains) too.
    ?
    .... I'm wondering, was this character in the mirror, who guided Billy, ever explored further?
    Were they guests?

Thanks!
    Looking at that scene again ^ , there are actually three talking beings highlighted there.
    Very Beauty & the Beast(ish):
    The mirror, the bell-jar which turns out to contain Mr. Mind, and the third is a talking Knights armor. Which has SHAZAM logo emblazoned on the shoulder, and wrist guard.
    Also a lethal looking scar across the chest.
    Does this visual reference anything/anyone from one of the past Fawcett stories?

?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-17-2018 at 06:09 AM.