Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Does This Forum Think of Andy Kubert's Adam Strange?

I just purchased the aforementioned miniseries from my local comic book store in it's entirety, and to my surprise, it was highly enthralling. Which is quite suprising considering that it has this reputation of needlessly implementing a gratuitous and dark tone on a previously relatively light hearted and escapist character.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-01-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I thought the writer, Richard Brunning, did an admirable job balancing the various subplots, while still retaining a tight, coherent (for the most part, but we'll get to that later.) narrative. Which, trust me is no small feat, especially for Vertigo-esque 80s and 90s comics such as this one. Another reason for why I was enamored by this mini, was it made Adam Strange and Rann compelling. No offense to Adam Strange fans, but I always felt he was merely a slightly more modernized variation on John Carter of Mars and nothing more. I would've loved to have seen an ongoing starring Strange written by Bruning, and in a lot of ways this miniseries feels like a prelude to some greater narrative, (but I will talk shortly, as to probanly why didn't happen.)

Andy and Adam Kubert's art complements the writing tremendously. While I am no fan of Andy and Adam Kubert's sons, I must admit this has to be their greatest work of their entire career.

However, in spite of my praises, the story really turns to **** in the last chapter. It turns out that the rebellion against Alanna's father and his council was coopted by a rival city state hostile to Rannagar. Alanna dies giving birth to Adam's daughter. Adam Strange almost abandons his newborn daughter. Alanna's father turns into a complete carrot and rockets Rannagar into the sky. The final issue is a mess, and it's probably why this series is not as fondly remembered as it deserves to be in my opinion.

If you do check out this miniseries, which I suggest you do, only purchase the first two issues. It is almost pointless to read the third installment, as much of the changes to the status quo, brought forth in issue number three are retconned later. Perhaps rightfully so.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/adam-strange/4050-4351/
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think Adam Strange: Planet Heist by Andy Diggle with Pascal Ferry on art is the best Adam Strange I have read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think Adam Strange: Planet Heist by Andy Diggle with Pascal Ferry on art is the best Adam Strange I have read.
    I agree, i was pleasently surprised how good it is.

I haven't read it and I've been wanting to read some more Adam Strange. I'll check it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Spectacular Member

I can't remember all the details you mention, but I definitely do remember enjoying that miniseries whenever I discovered it. Maybe I treated it as kind of an Elseworlds story, enjoyed the ride, and didn't let anything bother me. Adam Strange as a concept has always appealed to me. His omnibus is in my collection, plus later bronze age appearances.

Astonishing Member

It was a product of the desconstruction era -- so it was a little too dark, and it had to kill off the long-time love interest. I enjoy the one with Pascual Ferry much more.

I quite like the Brunning/Kubert mini. It was in the vein of what DC was doing at the time with things like Dark Knight, Chaykin's Shadow & Blackhawk, Hawkworld, and other reimaginings of classic DC concepts that cold stand on their own and weren't necessarily meant to be the ongoing version of the character (though many became that because of the success of the series, it wasn't the intention of the series as it came out). As a standalone take on Adam Strange it is quite good, but the status quo it would have established for Adam in that final issue might have been a tough sell moving forward.

As for the Diggle/Ferry Planet Heist series, I also quite like that one, it is a fun energetic story and takes readers on an entertaining ride. I would have enjoyed seeing more from that team on Adam Strange, but alas it was not to be. The status quo for Adam established in that mini was picked up and built upon by other writers, but none seemed to capture the kinetic energy and fun that Diggle and Ferry had on the page when using it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato