Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

man, you guys knew there was an actual show that starred captain marvel?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

I sure do. I watched it as a kid every Saturday morning back in the '70s. I still have my Limited Collector's Edition copy of the program, too! It later was paired with The Secrets of Isis (Joanna Cameron - sigh!).

It wasn't the first time I ever heard of the good Captain, though. There was some type of retrospective regarding the '40s serial on the NYC program Midday sometime during the early '70s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

I found this video earlier this week that explains Captain Marvel/Shazam's time pre-DC pretty well. I didn't know he was so popular then.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I sure do. I watched it as a kid every Saturday morning back in the '70s. I still have my Limited Collector's Edition copy of the program, too! It later was paired with The Secrets of Isis (Joanna Cameron - sigh!).

It wasn't the first time I ever heard of the good Captain, though. There was some type of retrospective regarding the '40s serial on the NYC program Midday sometime during the early '70s.
    Yeah, the TV show is what got me into comics. Can't be an alien with super powers, wasn't born rich to develop my mind or body to the peek of human perfection, but imagined myself stumbling into a secre place where I can get powers from a wizard. Man, I was weird as a kid in the '70s...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Yeah, the TV show is what got me into comics. Can't be an alien with super powers, wasn't born rich to develop my mind or body to the peek of human perfection, but imagined myself stumbling into a secre place where I can get powers from a wizard. Man, I was weird as a kid in the '70s...
    Nah. You sound normal to me. I can remember as a kid wishing I had Robby Reed's telephone from the "Dial H for Hero" series.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just saw Throne of Atlantis. Astin did a good job. (The best you could do for the New 52 version.) But it still made me cringe when other characters called him Shazam. Namely the fan saying "I love you Shazam." It's just not natural.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Just saw Throne of Atlantis. Astin did a good job. (The best you could do for the New 52 version.) But it still made me cringe when other characters called him Shazam. Namely the fan saying "I love you Shazam." It's just not natural.
    The program should have been longer in order allow all the characters to shine, including Billy.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

New fan of Captain Marvel. I saw the serial years ago and very gradually my interest in Capt Marvel grew.

I have the Monster Society Deluxe Edition (since DC saw fit to cancel its own release in 2009). I have of Whiz & CM on DVD. Have the serial.

I wish Morrison would do more with Capt Marvel. Sadly he said Thunderworld was all that he had to say on the character. I want classic silver agey Capt Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I wish Morrison would do more with Capt Marvel. .... I want classic silver agey Capt Marvel comics.
    "Classic silver agey "? Was there really a "classic" Silverage Cap? Fawcett's Goldenage "classic" run ended early 50s.
    And DC didn't revive the character till the 70s Bronzeage.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-02-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

Yep there was a cartoon too! Paul Dini wrote some episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    it still made me cringe when other characters called him Shazam. Namely the fan saying "I love you Shazam." It's just not natural.
    Actually that was pretty natural since allot of kids/fans alternately called him Shazam, when he had a live Action TV show and Cartoon both called SHAZAM! And all the toys, T-shirts and merchandise have since also been labeled SHAZAM!
    Despite finding clever ways to work it \like Power of "SHAZAM!" or With one magic word "SHAZAM!" etc. many neophytes just called him SHAZAM!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-02-2015 at 10:47 PM.

It's pretty odd that Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe treated Captain Marvel better than its DC-only counterpart Injustice did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGqbdNwTmE

In MKvDC, thought the Rockof Eternity he acknowledges the divine presences of the MK universe and learns about the broader story of the game, not to mention being the cooler head in some discussions. In Injustice, he (well, "Shazam") is only there to show how far gone Superman is by getting killed via heat vision to the eyes...

On another note, when thinking of the origin story in the Fawcett comics there's a shady figure in a hat and trenchcoat that leads Billy to the subway to meet the wizard. AFAIK he never came up again.
    When ht transitioned to the unified post-Crisis DC world, however, there was a hat-and-trenchcoat guy with a connection to the magic world that could have handled that role, the Phantom Stranger - is there any version of the origin story in the DC age where that character was used instead?
    It seems like it would have been a natural fit - especially considering Phantom Stranger once had a similar role, in The Books of Magic.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    "Classic silver agey "? Was there really a "classic" Silverage Cap? Fawcett's Goldenage "classic" run ended early 50s.
    And DC didn't revive the character till the 70s Bronzeage.
    Ended in 1953. I see your point, but I think there was some Silver Age type stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yep there was a cartoon too! Paul Dini wrote some episodes.

Actually that was pretty natural since allot of kids/fans alternately called him Shazam, when he had a live Action TV show and Cartoon both called SHAZAM! And all the toys, T-shirts and merchandise have since also been labeled SHAZAM!
    Despite finding clever ways to work it \like Power of "SHAZAM!" or With one magic word "SHAZAM!" etc. many neophytes just called him SHAZAM!
    i didn't know there was a shazam cartoon too... i vaguely remember a plastic man series.. i definitely knew there was a superfriends show back then. i totally missed captain marvel's.

Were these ones posted?

Convergance: SHAZAM

PRE-CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, EARTH S

SHAZAM
    Writer: Jeff Parker
    Artist: Evan “Doc” Shaner
    Colorist: Jordie Bellaire
    It’s Shazam versus Steampunk, as the world of Gotham By Gaslight takes on the Captain Marvel family and friends.

CONVERGENCE: SHAZAM! #1
    Written by JEFF PARKER

Art and cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD

Last edited by Güicho; 02-06-2015 at 04:04 PM.

I was hoping that there would be a new Shazam series post Convergence. Maybe after the mini-series' ends?

Shazam could lead wave 2 along with Supergirl aNd Booster Gold.