Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Ah, thanks. I wonder what issue it was?
    It was issue #22. Issue #21 was entirely dedicated to Captain Marvel and #22 started the whole 'Trinity War' crossover.

Which Shazam played a fair part in if you're interested....

BANNED

I do hope that, after Convergence, we get some news about the ongoing...

And now The Bunny, Art Baltazar' style...
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-15-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And now The Bunny, Art Baltazar' style...
    don't you just love toys? i know i do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    It was issue #22. Issue #21 was entirely dedicated to Captain Marvel and #22 started the whole 'Trinity War' crossover.

Which Shazam played a fair part in if you're interested....
    Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

comic geek speak is doing a Captain Marvel Shazam podcast
    http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episod...speak-1994.php

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    comic geek speak is doing a Captain Marvel Shazam podcast
    http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episod...speak-1994.php
    That was great, thanks for the link.
    Did not Know about Fawcett and Captain Billy's Whiz Bang!

If this is about the Nu52! Shazam, then color me a fan. I just got through a reading by Johns and I actually ended up enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    I do hope that, after Convergence, we get some news about the ongoing...
    i was so sure that there would a shazam series.... maybe he's being reserved(?) for wave 2.... fingers crossed.

BANNED

"prepares to be killed"

I think both New 52 Shazam and stuff like Thunderworld is bad for the character and the reason for why he is where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    "prepares to be killed"

I think both New 52 Shazam and stuff like Thunderworld is bad for the character and the reason for why he is where he is.
    What's your middle ground like then? What are the specific aspects from each interpretation that you reject?

Personally, I disliked the way they handled Bill Batson in the New 52 (although his goofy look when he realized he punched Superman had some charm to it).

As for Thunderworld, the one thing I might take issue with was that there the Marvels are the only big fish in a small pond - it diminishes them. I like the idea of Billy growing up in a world with Superman in it, encouraging him to remain a paragon of virtue, allowing him to earn his powers.
    Another thing that a shared DC world would allow for Billy would be that the shady figure that lead him to the wizard Shazam could be DC's Phantom Stranger, who has played a similar role before (for Tim Hunter in The Books of Magic).
    Also, Freddy's hair could have been more Elvis-like in Thunderworld.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Loona View Post
    What's your middle ground like then? What are the specific aspects from each interpretation that you reject?

Personally, I disliked the way they handled Bill Batson in the New 52 (although his goofy look when he realized he punched Superman had some charm to it).

As for Thunderworld, the one thing I might take issue with was that there the Marvels are the only big fish in a small pond - it diminishes them. I like the idea of Billy growing up in a world with Superman in it, encouraging him to remain a paragon of virtue, allowing him to earn his powers.
    Another thing that a shared DC world would allow for Billy would be that the shady figure that lead him to the wizard Shazam could be DC's Phantom Stranger, who has played a similar role before (for Tim Hunter in The Books of Magic).
    Also, Freddy's hair could have been more Elvis-like in Thunderworld.
    New 52 Billy is pure trash, and can not be defended.

To me, Thunderworld is not bad, but it's also not something that I would want to read on a monthly basis, let alone let it be THE main Captain Mar......err, Shazam!

To me, Billy himself needs to be sugary innocent, but the world around him can be a bit gritty, in an orphan with an embezzling uncle kinda sense. Making Billy a douchebag brat is one extreme, but making everything cheesy with Silver Age camp and "Sivanaday!" and such things is not necessary, and keeps the character back in just the same way that it keeps Superman back.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

New 52 Billy is pure trash, and can not be defended.

To me, Thunderworld is not bad, but it's also not something that I would want to read on a monthly basis, let alone let it be THE main Captain Mar......err, Shazam!

To me, Billy himself needs to be sugary innocent, but the world around him can be a bit gritty, in an orphan with an embezzling uncle kinda sense. Making Billy a douchebag brat is one extreme, but making everything cheesy with Silver Age camp and "Sivanaday!" and such things is not necessary, and keeps the character back in just the same way that it keeps Superman back.
    Depends on the camp level. If you're going with the idea that Billy is a kid and you want to sell the book to a younger audience then you need some cheese in there (no pun intended). I'm probably going to pick up the Thunderworld story. I really didn't like the new 52 version as I felt that one of the best things about billy is that he's an optimist. He's not dumb and thinks everything is perfect, but he tends to try to find the good in life and that's something that should be done. His personality is happy, not someone that's an outright snot.

I thought the handling in YJ was great and pre flash point JSA billy was done well too, until they booted him from the team, which was dumb.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Depends on the camp level. If you're going with the idea that Billy is a kid and you want to sell the book to a younger audience then you need some cheese in there (no pun intended). I'm probably going to pick up the Thunderworld story. I really didn't like the new 52 version as I felt that one of the best things about billy is that he's an optimist. He's not dumb and thinks everything is perfect, but he tends to try to find the good in life and that's something that should be done. His personality is happy, not someone that's an outright snot.

I thought the handling in YJ was great and pre flash point JSA billy was done well too, until they booted him from the team, which was dumb.
    Yeah but the mythos wasn't cheesy in Young Justice, JLA, First Thunder, Power of Shazam, or even Monster Society of Evil.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yeah but the mythos wasn't cheesy in Young Justice, JLA, First Thunder, Power of Shazam, or even Monster Society of Evil.
    Yeah, Morrison was definitely aiming for more Golden/Silver Age Capt than your tastes here indicate.

I would definitely want what you imagine over Johns' version. But I think Morrison's version could work really well and would be the truest modern update for Capt Marvel and the feel of the old Fawcett comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”