Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Amazing character! Just give him an ongoing and I'll buy it!

Shazam

Really wished DC comics did more with Captain Marvel. Didn't see him anywhere in Futures End #0, but that might be a good thing.

I really want Johns to do a Shazam New 52 series... but now he has his hands on Justice League and Superman and its rumoured he has been given his marching orders to do only two books so I don't see that happening soon. Unless that gets reversed and he juggles three books... or alternatively, he gets someone good to co-write with him and do some of the heavy lifting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I really want Johns to do a Shazam New 52 series... but now he has his hands on Justice League and Superman and its rumoured he has been given his marching orders to do only two books so I don't see that happening soon. Unless that gets reversed and he juggles three books... or alternatively, he gets someone good to co-write with him and do some of the heavy lifting.
    I just don't get why Shazam can't go back to being a back-up in the Justice League comic, that format actually worked rather well last time!

Astonishing Member

This is another one of those characters that is begging for an ongoing but DC is being extremely boneheaded about it. Shazam and the Marvels, get the right guy on it for art and you should be good.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It's going to take awhile for me to get used to calling Billy "Shazam" rather than "Captain Marvel".
    Ain't that the truth. For over 40 years, I have been calling him Captain Marvel. I still haven't told my father what his new name is, because I know he wouldn't be too happy about the change, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I just don't get why Shazam can't go back to being a back-up in the Justice League comic, that format actually worked rather well last time!
    I suppose this makes him more part of the greater DC universe if he is part of the team but yeah the back-up covering some of his adventures would have been nice as well. Its kind of interesting but it looks like Shazam has pretty much replaced Superman in the post-Forever Evil makeup of the Justice League since Clark doesn't seem to be among them.

Spectacular Member

I just had this thought in a Wildstorm thread...

Repost: Give Shazam the "Majestic" name so he can be called "Cap" for short again and Mary doesn't have to suffer being "Mary Shazam" and Freddy, "Shazam Junior". Mr. Majestic can be the Earth-2 counterpart (with the Daemonite backstory) and if/when Earth-2 gets folded into the Prime Earth timeline or whatever happens in 2015, they can all coexist.

How would you guys feel about this? The trademark is still DC's and isn't in play yet in the New 52. Mr. Majestic being a Superman analogue can be a Cap analogue instead kind of like a nod to the way Captain Marvel was when DC acquired the rights to that property.

Captain Majestic, Mary Majestic, Majestic Junior (or Freddy Majestic...always hated CM3 and Junior as names), The Wizard can be Shazam again.

Might just be me but I don't mind the name Shazam for the character himself. I used to think his name WAS Shazam as he would shout the word to transform. Though 'Mary Shazam' and 'Shazam Junior' would be horrible. I would like Mary to remain as Mary Marvel... don't know what name Freddy could get. Mind you, its complicated even further with the added members of the Shazam family.

Mighty Member

I like his moves in the Injustice game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    I just had this thought in a Wildstorm thread...

Repost: Give Shazam the "Majestic" name so he can be called "Cap" for short again and Mary doesn't have to suffer being "Mary Shazam" and Freddy, "Shazam Junior". Mr. Majestic can be the Earth-2 counterpart (with the Daemonite backstory) and if/when Earth-2 gets folded into the Prime Earth timeline or whatever happens in 2015, they can all coexist.

How would you guys feel about this? The trademark is still DC's and isn't in play yet in the New 52. Mr. Majestic being a Superman analogue can be a Cap analogue instead kind of like a nod to the way Captain Marvel was when DC acquired the rights to that property.

Captain Majestic, Mary Majestic, Majestic Junior (or Freddy Majestic...always hated CM3 and Junior as names), The Wizard can be Shazam again.

I think this suggestion would compicate more the perception. I understand why DC wanted rebrand the character: They can't promote him on the cover with his original name and also is the name of the competition. But with Shazam and the magic word they don't have to take the name of others characters but use the one more asociated to the original.
    But you are right, Mary Shazam doesn't sound exactly fine, maybe Lady Shazam is a better alias.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Reading through the posts, I feel like one of the few people who actually likes the New 52 Shazam. He has a lot of story potential. Him being a part of the post Forever Evil Justice League gives him time to shine as I'm sure he'll get his solo book down the line. In the mean time he can grow, learn and pick up experience as a hero with The League. A lot of us forget that Billy has very little experience in the hero "business". With Black Adam being his only "technical" solo battle (The Marvel/Shazam Family helped partly). Yes a version of Sabbac showed up but in all honesty he/it was more of a distraction rather than a enemy. As for the names of said Marvel/Shazam Family, Freddy does reveal that he wants to be called "King Shazam". The rest don't reveal their Shazam names but we can safely assume that they'll be changing their names quite a bit.

I can't wait until his own series hits the shelves. With a storyline being teased involving Dr. Sivana and Mr. Mind at the end of Justice League #21. His involvement with the 7 deadly sins, opening up potential for the Marvel/Shazam family to return. The Shazam mythos being rooted in Greek mythology also opens the door for Wonder Woman crossovers. Not to mention Hercules being recently reintroduced means Shazam could possibly help the once great hero return to his former glory, and these ideas are just off the top of my head.

The future for young Billy Batson looks bright.

SHAZAM!
    " I've always done what I truly believed was right. At first, people called me a hero for it ... and then a villain. As the memory of what I've done — and been — fades, I hope I will be seen ... in a different light." - Hal Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by LanternWolf View Post
    Reading through the posts, I feel like one of the few people who actually likes the New 52 Shazam.
    I'm a long time Captain Marvel fan and I love the new Shazam. I can't wait for the story to continue. Don't love the name change but it is what it is. Still feel strongly that Mary Marvel should keep her iconic name. And junior could then be called just Captain Marvel now. I know it can't be trademarked, but it can be used in story no problem.

I love Captain Marvel, but I hate Shazam.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/06/shaz...eague-variant/

DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has released a look at an upcoming Justice League variant cover which shows the youngest members of the League -- Shazam and Cyborg -- engaged in a bit of friendly, virtual combat...

...even if it looks like Cyborg might be using his machine-savvy to cheat a little.

The release, of course, comes the same week Warner Bros.'s Shazam movie was made official, with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson tweeting that he had accepted the role of Black Adam, a sentiment that was retweeted by Johns and then shared to the DC blog.

It's not clear what issue this will be a variant for, or whether it will be part of one of DC's variant theme months or just a variant cover.
    The J-man