Page 72 of 97 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1454
    BANNED

Exclamation Iconic & Controversial CAPTAIN MARVEL/SHAZAM Story Coming Back to Print in 2019

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as codenames...well, the Shazam identity doesn't really lend itself to catchy names like Captain Marvel does, but I'm curious to see how Johns would handle it.
    Mary - Tempest
    Freddy - Thunderlord
    Darla - Swift or Whirlwind
    Eugene - Paragon
    Pedro - Ajax

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I’m really surprised they’re releasing this before the movie comes out. While it’s a classic story, it also has some incredibly racist content. I’m sure many people will just understand that it’s a product of its time. Sadly that was just a common practice in the 40s. I would think DC/WB would want to hold off on this story being reprinted as it could cause some bad press for the upcoming film.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m really surprised they’re releasing this before the movie comes out. While it’s a classic story, it also has some incredibly racist content. I’m sure many people will just understand that it’s a product of its time. Sadly that was just a common practice in the 40s. I would think DC/WB would want to hold off on this story being reprinted as it could cause some bad press for the upcoming film.
    Put a disclaimer in the book and trust the audience to understand that a work can be good overall while containing objectionable elements, given the time in which it was made. I look forward to finally being able to read this story, given the reputation it has for being a classic.

Spectacular Member

idk if anybody as read aquaman and jabberjaw but shazam(the wizard) and the spectre had a short story.
    aquaman and jabberjaw.jpgaquaman and jabberjaw 2.jpg

Official pictures for the movie look very good so far IMO. I just really wish they would call him Captain Marvel and not draw inspiration from the New 52 stuff.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Official pictures for the movie look very good so far IMO. I just really wish they would call him Captain Marvel and not draw inspiration from the New 52 stuff.
    Legally they can’t place the Captain Marvel name on the movie or the comic though. His name could still be Captain Marvel in continuity. However, to avoid confusion and potential loss of sales it makes sense to change his name to something that is associate with his history and that they can actively advertise on DC’s promotional material.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Legally they can’t place the Captain Marvel name on the movie or the comic though. His name could still be Captain Marvel in continuity. However, to avoid confusion and potential loss of sales it makes sense to change his name to something that is associate with his history and that they can actively advertise on DC’s promotional material.
    Of course not. But they can still call the character Captain Marvel. It makes no sense to call him Shazam if that's the magic word.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

"I just really wish they would call him Captain Marvel and not draw inspiration from the New 52 stuff.

Legally they can’t place the Captain Marvel name on the movie or the comic though. His name could still be Captain Marvel in continuity.
    Or place Captain Marvel name on that magazine cover just posted.
    That's just it, they cant use it to promote, advertise, as a brand name to sell anything.
    That includes a movie. Or a magazine cover promoting it.
    This has been the case since the 70s, this isnt something new, Marvel the competition streight up owns the brand name DC can not use it for that.
    And DC/WB were not going to bankrole a film whose character name they cant use to title, merchandise and sell, not even on a magazine cover promoting it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-18-2018 at 02:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Of course not. But they can still call the character Captain Marvel. It makes no sense to call him Shazam if that's the magic word.
    New 52 did have a good explaination giving the word a purpose instead of just changing into Captain Marvel/Shazam so that probably applies here as well

Incredible Member

Here's the SHAZAM! Feature from EW:

Last edited by ironman2978; 07-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Part 2:

Last edited by ironman2978; 07-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Yeah they could. But again risk of confusion and thereby loss of sales is a good reason for them not too.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Or place Captain Marvel name on that magazine cover just posted.
    That's just it, they cant use it to promote, advertise, as a brand name to sell anything.
    That includes a movie. Or a magazine cover promoting it.
    This has been the case since the 70s, this isnt something new, Marvel the competition streight up owns the brand name DC can not use it for that.
    And DC/WB were not going to bankrole a film whose character name they cant use to title, merchandise and sell, not even on a magazine cover promoting it.
    Yep. Plus it is just too risky one slip up by someone in house and the company could be slap with a lawsuit for trademark infringement. What company would want to deal with that noise. DC road out the name for as long as they could but when Marvel started pushing their Captain Marvel and joined hands with Disney it was for sure time to bow out.

No one messes with the mouse.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-18-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Yeah they could. But again risk of confusion and thereby loss of sales is a good reason for them not too.

Yep. Plus it is just too risky one slip up by someone in house and the company could be slap with a lawsuit for trademark infringement. What company would want to deal with that noise. DC road out the name for as long as they could but when Marvel started pushing their Captain Marvel and joined hands with Disney it was for sure time to bow out.

No one messes with the mouse.

There’s no denying that.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Oh my goodness! This movie looks like it'll be genuine fun and I wanna see it bad now!

The fact that they're adapting seemingly whole-cloth from the part in the New 52 story where Billy turns into Shazam for the first time and he and Freddy just spend time exploring it and being kids is awesome! That part of the story is probably my favorite (I like a lot of things from it, so it's hard to pinpoint). I can see that the actor playing Billy-as-Shazam really works just from these pictures alone. He manages to sincerely bring the essence of a kid in a superpowered adult's body to life, while still looking the hunky hero that Shazam is and giving the impression he'll be able to play the serious hero later on when it counts, too.

I'm kinda hyped for this now.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.