THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default How would you like the return of Mr. Mxyzptlk to the new 52?

So I was just thinking today about how much I enjoy the grounded yet fantastical "Doctor Who-like" style that the new 52 Superman has solidified into.

I'd like to see more modernizing and grounding of his larger and harder concepts that writers sometime run away from or just tack on for tradition sake. I'd like to see inspired ideas like really highlighting that the phantom zone into a purgatory that blurs the lines of the supernatural and scientific. Superman is literally plagued by ghost from his past! The fortress of solitude is literally haunted with soundless cries from a forgotten world. The Collector of Worlds becoming every information data base he collects. Such novel reimaginings to tried and true concepts in the Superman world need to keep coming.

Now I'm asking for more of this. Lets push more lets make more concepts more novel and modern. Lets take an almost "Ultimate Marvel" look at the bigger concepts and mold them into something that keeps and respects the original concept yet gives us something new. Mxyzptlk is the ultimate source of imagination and possibility in Superman and maybe the DCU. How do you bring that in to the new 52?

You're likely thinking "we already saw Mxy and we got a 5th D story with Vyn in Morrison's run. Just do that again". I don't think it's that simple. Vyn was malevolent and devilish. His goal was to crush and destroy Superman and all he stood for. Mxy is just about mischief and having fun with Superman. He's like a the reader of a comic book. We want to see Superman put through a hard time, but in the end we still want to see him win so we can do it all over again. Given the fact that Mxy must now play with rules (rules that Pak could flesh.... only just a bit) how would he function in the new 52?

Maybe he decides to actually stick around as the Loki of Superman's world? There is a lot of potential in this character and concept and I just hope it's done well and interesting.

Also remember that Mxy actually dies in the 3 dimensional world in his human form. How do you get him back in 3 dimensional space now? It seems like you need to be born into the 3D world in order to function.

Goodness, what if he comes back as a 10 year old kid or something? Now he'd be less of a little person god in an derby hat and more of a child with the mind of a god....in and old derby hat. OOOH, maybe he goes to Susie's school? Maybe he'll have her use her powers and mess with Superman without knowing it like in the old golden age stories?

However Pak brings Mxy in (and I do hope it's Pak who brings him in) I hope he handles him well. Pak did mention in the zero issue 25 that the supermacists were sacrificing people to 5th dimension plasma gods so at least Pak acknowledges that aspect of the last run (along with quite a bit else from it). Maybe Mxy is a cult leader god. Like a little statue that can only be heard by his followers?

There's quite a bit you can do with this character and given the new "rules" to his powers writers will have to get REALLY creative in how they bring him back after Superman gets him to say his name backwards. Really wanna see this guy back!

Oh man, Mxy with the 3 Dimensional body of a child would be freaking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So I was just thinking today about how much I enjoy the grounded yet fantastical "Doctor Who-like" style that the new 52 Superman has solidified into.

You're likely thinking "we already saw Mxy and we got a 5th D story with Vyn in Morrison's run. Just do that again". I don't think it's that simple. Vyn was malevolent and devilish. His goal was to crush and destroy Superman and all he stood for. Mxy is just about mischief and having fun with Superman. He's like a the reader of a comic book. We want to see Superman put through a hard time, but in the end we still want to see him win so we can do it all over again. Given the fact that Mxy must now play with rules (rules that Pak could flesh.... only just a bit) how would he function in the new 52?

Maybe he decides to actually stick around as the Loki of Superman's world? There is a lot of potential in this character and concept and I just hope it's done well and interesting.
    I never got the impression that Mxyzptlk was malevolent or spiteful of Superman in the past version (despite the Timm version of him being rather peeved at Superman's constant sending him back to the 5th dimension). In fact, there were plenty of times in the Modern Era where he was actually quite in Clark/Superman's corner, especially when it came to the relationship between him and Lois. Now it'd be interesting to see that interaction with the Diana, a creature of magic herself. How would he interpret them being together, especially in light of some of the things he said with regards to the Clark/Lois thing when they were broken up.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    I never got the impression that Mxyzptlk was malevolent or spiteful of Superman in the past version (despite the Timm version of him being rather peeved at Superman's constant sending him back to the 5th dimension). In fact, there were plenty of times in the Modern Era where he was actually quite in Clark/Superman's corner, especially when it came to the relationship between him and Lois. Now it'd be interesting to see that interaction with the Diana, a creature of magic herself. How would he interpret them being together, especially in light of some of the things he said with regards to the Clark/Lois thing when they were broken up.
    Well have you ever read WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? He is literally Satan in that.

I agree beyond that though. I like Mxy as sort of a Loki figure. He'll help when it benefits him, he'll betray you when that's a better option.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It's tough, because as great as it worked in the context of that one story, I'm not crazy about the idea of Mxy tormenting Superman on anyone's behalf. I'm going to be crazy super generous with you all and share a bit of my pitch for Superman (Superlad93, you know what I'm talking about. I'll share it with Flash Gordon too, and anyone interested in our little 'braintrust'. Now that it's summer for me, it should be coming in chunks relatively soon), in regards to Mxy:

"At the furthermost rim of our universe is a gateway to another: the pocket dimension of Zzrff. Inhabiting this realm are a curious and terrifyingly powerful breed of beings; rather than perceiving and being able to manipulate reality in three spatial dimensions, they have access to five, giving them virtually limitless power over the cosmos. However, crime is an entirely unfathomable concept to them, as they are incapable of harming each other or inflicting lost-lasting damage to their universe, and have little curiosity for realms beyond. Except for one.

"Law, leadership, constraint of any sort…all impossible for Zzrffians. But in Mxyzpltlk’s travels, he encountered something startling. He discovered an alien refugee that, with clever usage of his natural talents, could shape his world comparably to how Mxy’s people shape reality, with no one to stop him. But instead, this god among men chooses to utilize his star-spanning gifts only in service of beings that, to him, should be little more than paramecia. The very concept utterly baffles even Mxyzpltlk’s 5-D consciousness, and he decides that for the time being, this “superman” is a worthy focus for his attentions. Forget flying buildings and the Daily Planet cast being turned into geese: time and space are but clay in the hands of this master sculptor, who now exists only to test Superman’s physical, intellectual and moral limitations in a game of wits that will come to be all that can light up Mxy’s world anymore. And that is why, thank goodness, he will never be a major threat: he has too much fun with what he does to ever risk the life of his favorite playmate.

"As for the “Kltlpzyxm” weakness, it can remain as a rule Mxy sets up to keep things fair for Superman, but frankly, I think it should be ditched. He’s two dimensions above Superman; Mxy being legitimately tricked by that guy is like one of us being fooled by a point on a graph. The point isn't in Superman beating him, it's in showing Mxyzptlk the worth of these weird mortal concepts of perseverance, morality and inventiveness he can scarcely wrap his mind around."

Similarly, and showing some examples of how this could work, the Superman 2000 pitch's concept of Mxy:

"A Loki-ish prankster who uses people's lives as his game pieces. Mxy employs his awesome, five-dimensional reality-warping powers to trap Superman in dangerous, unreal scenarios... a high-stakes upgrade of the Elseworlds concept. No longer content to make buildings sprout wings, Mxy warps the facts of Superman's life in a sustained effort to test and break the Man of Steel's spirit (because the imp's fifth-dimensional intellect rightly understands that Superman's pure soul is his true power). Sometimes aware that he's been thrust into warped histories and sometimes not, Superman can only win these games by rising above the Mxyworlds' temptations to be less virtuous, less positive, less dedicated, less effective than we know he can be. Superman's own inner strength is the key to making Mxy disappear."
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh man, Mxy with the 3 Dimensional body of a child would be freaking awesome.
    Yeah I think it'd be a really fun twist to the idea of the character and it's more than possible given the impossibly that the character can do.

Make it happen Mr. Pak. I believe in you!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    I wasn't actually saying Mxy was malevolent. I was saying that his son/brother/rival, Vyn was the bad one who actually wanted to destroy Superman in every sense of the word down to his very concept. Mxy, as his wife/sister/mother Mrs. N told Clark, just wanted to play with Superman more or less. He enjoyed the cat and mouse games they'll play in the future. Mxy knows he'll be beat by Superman but he enjoys the ride all the same. It's the "rules of the trick" as he puts it.

What I'm wondering is how will what Morrison alluded at the end of his Action run (Mxy's return and his games with Superman) be interpreted in the future. As for Wonder Woman, I'm not really sure he would act any special way towards her for being a form of magic. I'd rather not root him in any pre established magic in the DCU (maybe a link to Zatana though just off the novelty of the power of words). Most forms of power are quite below Mxy to be honest.

He'll likely just interested in her for being another aspect of Superman's life that he can mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well have you ever read WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? He is literally Satan in that.

I agree beyond that though. I like Mxy as sort of a Loki figure. He'll help when it benefits him, he'll betray you when that's a better option.
    What if every time Superman sends him back Mxy "reinvents" himself like he said he did in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Like maybe he comes back as a crime boss one time, or he's back as homeless magician, or a 10 year old boy with the mind of a god, ect. Maybe each time he comes back with a slightly different outlook on "fun".

Then what if one time he comes back and only does good deeds like a hero. We could have a year of Mxy as a "reformed Loki" type of character helping Superman and adding to his cast. Then one day he's mortally wounded and the only thing left to do is close his eyes and say his name backwards to stay alive. The next time he comes back Superman will know he's it is and isn't his old friend.

Each way he comes back will have to be more clever than the next given the "rules" to his powers in the "flat" worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It's tough, because as great as it worked in the context of that one story, I'm not crazy about the idea of Mxy tormenting Superman on anyone's behalf. I'm going to be crazy super generous with you all and share a bit of my pitch for Superman (Superlad93, you know what I'm talking about. I'll share it with Flash Gordon too, and anyone interested in our little 'braintrust'. Now that it's summer for me, it should be coming in chunks relatively soon), in regards to Mxy:

"At the furthermost rim of our universe is a gateway to another: the pocket dimension of Zzrff. Inhabiting this realm are a curious and terrifyingly powerful breed of beings; rather than perceiving and being able to manipulate reality in three spatial dimensions, they have access to five, giving them virtually limitless power over the cosmos. However, crime is an entirely unfathomable concept to them, as they are incapable of harming each other or inflicting lost-lasting damage to their universe, and have little curiosity for realms beyond. Except for one.

"Law, leadership, constraint of any sort…all impossible for Zzrffians. But in Mxyzpltlk’s travels, he encountered something startling. He discovered an alien refugee that, with clever usage of his natural talents, could shape his world comparably to how Mxy’s people shape reality, with no one to stop him. But instead, this god among men chooses to utilize his star-spanning gifts only in service of beings that, to him, should be little more than paramecia. The very concept utterly baffles even Mxyzpltlk’s 5-D consciousness, and he decides that for the time being, this “superman” is a worthy focus for his attentions. Forget flying buildings and the Daily Planet cast being turned into geese: time and space are but clay in the hands of this master sculptor, who now exists only to test Superman’s physical, intellectual and moral limitations in a game of wits that will come to be all that can light up Mxy’s world anymore. And that is why, thank goodness, he will never be a major threat: he has too much fun with what he does to ever risk the life of his favorite playmate.

"As for the “Kltlpzyxm” weakness, it can remain as a rule Mxy sets up to keep things fair for Superman, but frankly, I think it should be ditched. He’s two dimensions above Superman; Mxy being legitimately tricked by that guy is like one of us being fooled by a point on a graph. The point isn't in Superman beating him, it's in showing Mxyzptlk the worth of these weird mortal concepts of perseverance, morality and inventiveness he can scarcely wrap his mind around."

Similarly, and showing some examples of how this could work, the Superman 2000 pitch's concept of Mxy:

"A Loki-ish prankster who uses people's lives as his game pieces. Mxy employs his awesome, five-dimensional reality-warping powers to trap Superman in dangerous, unreal scenarios... a high-stakes upgrade of the Elseworlds concept. No longer content to make buildings sprout wings, Mxy warps the facts of Superman's life in a sustained effort to test and break the Man of Steel's spirit (because the imp's fifth-dimensional intellect rightly understands that Superman's pure soul is his true power). Sometimes aware that he's been thrust into warped histories and sometimes not, Superman can only win these games by rising above the Mxyworlds' temptations to be less virtuous, less positive, less dedicated, less effective than we know he can be. Superman's own inner strength is the key to making Mxy disappear."

I like your pitch very much. I'm a little iffy on them being located in a relatively "reachable" place if I read your pitch right. I do have a question for you, though: do you think this would translate over to the new 52 given what Morrison has set up? Like for example, he's set up the backwards name deal as a weakness, and I've always found it very charming that Mxy and his kind are beat by the power of words in a comic book by a writer (Clark). But I will say that I do think that the idea of the name backwards should be changed each time he comes to the "flat" worlds. Superman must use his investigative skills, sharp wits, and every bit of power that he can muster just to understand the "rules of the new game". The "trick" is always the same but the "game" changes.

I've always loved the idea of bringing back Elseworlds and imaginary stories via Mxy and his powers. He takes Superman and fully implants him in a reality of his making with his rules to test Superman on his character more than his power. This aspect just opened up a WHOLE lota story for Superman and an unlimited number of stories that could be told just off this.

Beyond that though I'd also be into the idea of making things more subtle like Mxy helping out a foe of Superman's. One or two throw away lines about the foe hearing words that "he'd never heard before, then lighting" or "prying to 5 dimensional imp gods" or something subtle like that. He could go as far as having a small yet part in facilitating a big event for the DCU all just to mess with Superman. The you could bring in the idea of Vyn mucking with Mxy by turning his plans a bit more "hardcore" and dangerous. A mischievous but well meaning angel and a mean spirited devil on the shoulders of Superman and the DCU.

Taking ideas as big as these and "grounding" (I mean this in the sense that the reader has a form of common ground to stand on as they take this in. Much in the same way the new Phantom Zone was presented or equating Mxy to a Magician and putting everything under the umbrella of a "magic trick") them into more modern things should a good chunk of the thinking.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I like your pitch very much. I'm a little iffy on them being located in a relatively "reachable" place if I read your pitch right. I do have a question for you, though: do you think this would translate over to the new 52 given what Morrison has set up? Like for example, he's set up the backwards name deal as a weakness, and I've always found it very charming that Mxy and his kind are beat by the power of words in a comic book by a writer (Clark). But I will say that I do think that the idea of the name backwards should be changed each time he comes to the "flat" worlds. Superman must use his investigative skills, sharp wits, and every bit of power that he can muster just to understand the "rules of the new game". The "trick" is always the same but the "game" changes.
    Whether it's a pocket dimension, a planet or a parallel universe doesn't much matter, it's just a matter of how the idea of the 5th dimension as a place you can visit doesn't really fit anymore (unless you think of it as Earth-5, which is already inhabited by the Marvels...who live in a cartoonish world where power is derived from words oh my god it's all coming together) with what we know about physics. And there have been trips to Zzrff in the past, in Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch's JLA: Heaven's Ladder, or that one story where Superman visited the 5th dimension to ruin Mxy's mayoral campaign and thus teach him a lesson.

As for the name bit, that was actually from something I wrote years ago, back when it looked like the Little Man in Action would turn out to be Mxy. I still don't think it's necessary, but the end of that story, like you said, made a good enough argument for it that I'm perfectly fine with it, if done well. And I think the motivation I set up could still be used to explain why Mxy noticed Superman's universe in the first place, and raised it to the king's attention.
    Buh-bye