Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Wonder Girl - Donna Troy

So, what's up with Donna Troy always having a weird Backstory?

I feel like the DC reboot would have been a perfect time to fix her up but it was never done. In fact The Wonder Girl title was even more alienated from Wonder Woman by having Cassandra Sandsmark from the start of Teen Titans and never appearing in her book.

I don't read Teen Titans (don't like the book) and apparently she's Lennox's daughter now? That's nice. Why couldn't it have been revealed when Lennox was still alive in still part of Wondie's cast?

Whatever, I came here to talk about Donna.
    Her origin is, mirror reflection, childhood friend, alternate dimension, bubbling cauldron, Hecate's loins. Just a jumble of stuff that changes every decade.

I know the original Wonder Girl was Diana having past/present adventures with herself and her mom.
    Then she became a character unto herself.
    Then the Wonder Girl title was pretty much removed from Wonder Woman as she was introduced in the 80's Reboot before Wonder Woman herself was introduced (by Perez in 87). Then they never met up until Wonder Girl was Troia sometime in the 90's and almost towards the end of Perez' run.

So what's wrong with making Wonder Girl more part of Diana's cast? Or hell, just having her be part of her family.

The 70's show with Lynda Carter had Wonder Girl simply be Diana's sister, called Drusilla. Can't we just have that again but with her secret identity being Donna Troy (to protect her as she is much younger than Diana).

It could even be a good explanation as to why Vanessa becomes the Silver Swan in the future. They'd be about the same age, almost rivals. But Drusilla would always be Wonder Girl because she had powers and skill while Vanessa is just an average girl. And then some other nobody girl comes along and gets to be Wonder Girl. You sorta get it.

Also, Wonder Woman should be set in Washington DC. Perfect stage with the Smithsonian Institution being the working place for Julia Kapatelis and Helena Sandsmark (and Diana before Themyscira being part of the world and she becomes an official dignitary to the rest of the world). You also have numerous government agencies for Steve Trevor and Etta Candy to be working in (along with Diana too). And its buildings have that classical taste that would mesh well with Wonder Woman. But I guess this part would be well for another future thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LCI View Post

I feel like the DC reboot would have been a perfect time to fix her up but it was never done. In fact The Wonder Girl title was even more alienated from Wonder Woman by having Cassandra Sandsmark from the start of Teen Titans and never appearing in her book.

I don't read Teen Titans (don't like the book) and apparently she's Lennox's daughter now? That's nice. Why couldn't it have been revealed when Lennox was still alive in still part of Wondie's cast?

Her origin is, mirror reflection, childhood friend, alternate dimension, bubbling cauldron, Hecate's loins. Just a jumble of stuff that changes every decade.

I know the original Wonder Girl was Diana having past/present adventures with herself and her mom.
    Then the Wonder Girl title was pretty much removed from Wonder Woman as she was introduced in the 80's Reboot before Wonder Woman herself was introduced (by Perez in 87). Then they never met up until Wonder Girl was Troia sometime in the 90's and almost towards the end of Perez' run.

So what's wrong with making Wonder Girl more part of Diana's cast? Or hell, just having her be part of her family.

The 70's show with Lynda Carter had Wonder Girl simply be Diana's sister, called Drusilla. Can't we just have that again but with her secret identity being Donna Troy (to protect her as she is much younger than Diana).

It could even be a good explanation as to why Vanessa becomes the Silver Swan in the future. They'd be about the same age, almost rivals. But Drusilla would always be Wonder Girl because she had powers and skill while Vanessa is just an average girl. And then some other nobody girl comes along and gets to be Wonder Girl. You sorta get it.

Also, Wonder Woman should be set in Washington DC. Perfect stage with the Smithsonian Institution being the working place for Julia Kapatelis and Helena Sandsmark (and Diana before Themyscira being part of the world and she becomes an official dignitary to the rest of the world). You also have numerous government agencies for Steve Trevor and Etta Candy to be working in (along with Diana too). And its buildings have that classical taste that would mesh well with Wonder Woman. But I guess this part would be well for another future thread.
    Yes, I think DC missed the boat with this new origin for Donna. They could have made it so easy and made her Diana's little sister. I've said this numerous times. Even if they kept Diana being created out of clay origin, she still could have been Diana's little sister. With the new origin that Diana is the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta it could work also. Hippolyta's affair lasted longer and she had a second daughter with Zeus. Hippolyta new that she could not use the same lie again to protect this child, so she sent Donna to man's world with an Amazon to protect her and raise her. Donna's first story line could be Diana finding out that she had a little sister and her search to find her. This way Donna also could remain the girl next door character that was such a major part of her original characterization.

You are also right that the original Wonder Girl that appeared in the Wonder Woman comic was Diana in the past that came to the present to have adventures with her current self. But that is not the origin of Donna Troy, and I think people forget that. That Wonder Girl was never known as Donna Troy as far as I remember. Donna Troy's original origin was told in Teen Titans. She was saved by Wonder Woman from a fire and taken to Paradise Island and given amazing powers by the purple ray. I know that the Wonder Girl that first appeared in Teen Titans was an editorial mistake, but Marv Wolfman corrected that mistake by giving Wonder Girl the name Donna Troy and blessing her with her own origin.

...So what's wrong with making Wonder Girl more part of Diana's cast? Or hell, just having her be part of her family.

It could even be a good explanation as to why Vanessa becomes the Silver Swan in the future. They'd be about the same age, almost rivals. But Drusilla would always be Wonder Girl because she had powers and skill while Vanessa is just an average girl. And then some other nobody girl comes along and gets to be Wonder Girl. You sorta get it...
    'Nobody girl?' Where have you ever heard talk, like that, from Wonder Woman or Wonder Girl?

Being a 'Wonder' is supposed to be an achievement, based on merit, ..and not a dynasty. The title is not something you can pass down or around, like party favors at a family reunion or exclusive club. There is no exclusivity or elitism amongst the Amazons or surrounding the mysteries of Wonder Woman, because that flies in the face of everything the Amazons fought for and left Man's World to get away from. Being a 'Wonder' isn't in the blood, ..and there are no 'nobodies', amongst the Amazons.

There are certainly no nobody girls, anywhere in the Wonderverse. Ever.

The 'Wonder thing' is not a hereditary trait, like blue eyes or heat vision or a big . Diana became Wonder Woman, because she earned the title, and not because she's Hippolyta's daughter. Even Drusilla had to earn it, by calling the power forth, with her desire to fight for injustice, against the Nazis. Drusilla didn't run back to Paradise Island, but decided to stay in America and fight, which took some measure of courage. She didn't just inherit the power, because she's a 'somebody'.

The Wonder Woman of the original, Golden Age stories constantly professed that any and every woman can be a 'Wonder Woman'. That is and should be the entire point of being Wonder Woman. That is the standard.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-31-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

It's tradition by now.

Because it's a retcon. Back when Lennox was still around they hadn't decided yet he was going to be her father.

BANNED

The simple explanation to the Cassandra/Lennox connection is that one book was written by Brian Azzarello, the other was by Scott Lobdell. Scott and others at DC were often trying to tie their stuff into whatever Brian was doing in his book. Azzarello however wasn't interested in letting various plots and events from other books spill into his, because they had nothing to add or do with the story he was busy telling.

If it will play a part in the future is left to be seen, but all in all it will essentially be someone picking up on Lobdell's idea rather than anything of Azzarello's.

'Nobody girl?' Where have you ever heard talk, like that, from Wonder Woman or Wonder Girl?

Being a 'Wonder' is supposed to be an achievement, based on merit, ..and not a dynasty.
    Sorry, but I'm just talking about a hypothetical scenario. Wonder Girl may not be a legacy character but she's not Robin either. Not just anyone or any Amazon for that matter can be Wonder Girl. It's like someone without powers being Superboy, it's just not done (or hasn't been done yet anyway).

Anyway, just imagine my scenario in which Donna and Diana are true sisters. Vanessa is part of Diana's adoptive family.

Can you imagine what Vanessa would feel like being Diana's #1 admirer and sister only to be instantly overshadowed by Donna coming onto the scene? And it's nothing new, Vanessa's struggles within the comic have always been feeling like she's invisible or #2. Her struggles against Lucy Spears even as they were friends. Feeling like Diana was taking her boyfriend away. Feeling like she's only popular because a superhero lives in her house. Being the distant second when another girl who used to have no powers suddenly is Wonder Girl.

I think it would make for a nice, complete character arc for her to feel superior and cool only for the real Wonder Girls to come onto the scene and for her to realize she's nothing. Then she can mature into an adult when she realizes that being Wonder Girl is not what should have defined her ever.

Sorry, but I'm just talking about a hypothetical scenario. Wonder Girl may not be a legacy character but she's not Robin either. Not just anyone or any Amazon for that matter can be Wonder Girl. It's like someone without powers being Superboy, it's just not done (or hasn't been done yet anyway)...
    Didn't mean anything personal by it, LCI. That was just me thinking aloud in print, and I apologize for the pontifical tone of my post. I've been grumbling about the 'Wonder dynasty' thing for years, on these boards.

BTW, ..welcome.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-12-2015 at 03:25 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I'm always a little torn with where Donna should play her major role. I love her largely because she was the heart and soul of the Titans (back in the 80s) and I feel like she was an integral part to that book in a way she could never be in the WW solo series. Cassie is the better option for WG in the solo series IMO, but that's largely because I don't like the current Titans roster and would rather see Donna, Kori, Dick, Wally, Roy, Gar, Raven and Vic from The New Teen Titans. Also with Cassie being Diana's niece now it would fit well in the solo. Sadly what's happened to Donna with her horrid introduction into the N52 makes her difficult to engage with for now.

So…whats the deal with Donna being a new Dr Fate type character?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    So…whats the deal with Donna being a new Dr Fate type character?
    Hmm. Do you know something we don't?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    So…whats the deal with Donna being a new Fate type character?
    Fixed. She doesn't get a golden helmet.

The deal appears to be some convoluted idea that the Olympians became weak and killable as mankind stopped believing in them, Zeus then decides that whats needed is for the Fates to be replaced with fresh eyes... so the old Fates are slain and Donna is the replacement and 'poof' dead gods like Ares and Apollo come back to life.

Regarding my earlier post: Greg Pak appears to be the one thats going to mend the gap between Cassandra and Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Fixed. She doesn't get a golden helmet.

The deal appears to be some convoluted idea that the Olympians became weak and killable as mankind stopped believing in them, Zeus then decides that whats needed is for the Fates to be replaced with fresh eyes... so the old Fates are slain and Donna is the replacement and 'poof' dead gods like Ares and Apollo come back to life.

Regarding my earlier post: Greg Pak appears to be the one thats going to mend the gap between Cassandra and Diana.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Not the Gold helmet Fate. thanks
    I was having flashbacks to Donna being the new Harbinger during one of the previous Crisis Countdown deals...

Titans Hunt is great so far***SPOILERS**

They are just beginning to realize they had other experiences that they don't remember, other than their current 52 versions of themselves. Donna just tried to use a chord as a lasso, but was surprised that she did this...and that it didn't force the truth...and she remembered Dick had a different name at one point..."Robin." And Donna, Dick and Garth (still the current 52 versions) just landed at the entrance of the Teen Titans cave. Their memories are coming back, somehow via Lilith, and it appears the 80's New Teen Titans history may be fully intact, yet they've forgotten for some reason. Really excited to see where this goes, because I think we'll be getting Donna Troy back as Donna Troy.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 01-14-2016 at 06:10 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Earlier today I was reading an interview on Newsarama I think with Tom King concerning the recent Robin War and what it means coming up for Grayson, both the book and the character. One of the things he talked about was how amazing his editors were. He also talked about how exited other writers were and getting involved in a larger story due to that excitement. While reading that interview I was thinking about my other favorite DC character, Wonder Woman. How awesome would it be if her book had an editor who was just as dedicated to making her succeed as the Bat-editors are in making all their books succeed.
    Wonder Woman has the most...I'm not even sure of the word I am looking for here but their is such a divide between the characters that are supposed to be in her domain. Wonder Girl doesn't even HAVE a connection to her main character (which hopefully will be addressed soon) likewise i am not even sure what can be done about Donna Troy. She's created from clay, lead a massacre of Amazons' sons, then died herself and now is back to life as the living embodiment of the greek Fates? How is that supposed to be translated going forward? Wonder Woman doesn't have the strongest creative team right now, but one would think the editor would have some kind of input on how a story like this would affect the marketability of the character in how she can be used in future stories outside of the main Wonder Woman title. Unfortunately the book doesn't seem to have an editor that has any forethought into anything done on that title at all. Hopefully Dan Abnett can do something that will make the character somewhat worthwhile during Titans Hunt and that there is a plan for her outside of the Finchs' input.

In the perez era.antiope was queen hippolyta's sister why not just have donna be antiope's daughter that way donna n diana can be cousins