Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mscorley View Post
    I was surprised that he was in it, but pleasantly surprised! Honestly I was a little disappointed with the original Vampire of Prague story because not being drawn by Mignola it just felt off, more than other comics he hasn't drawn. And I really wanted to see how the vampire and all that would have been with Mike's hand at the wheel. Well now I know!

Honestly when the guy showed up at first I thought it was the guy from 'The Island', I forget his name, but you know Mr. Secret History of the World. I would have also been pleasantly surprised if it was him.
    The art style was a departure in that story but I loved the tone, it felt very old school Hellboy. And man, I'd love to see that guy from the island again, I mean he did take Hellboy's blood so it would be interesting how that would play in Hell.

Did anyone notice that Hellboy was almost wasting away to skin and bones near the end. I like that subtle change in his design, like being in hell is having a physical effect on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Did anyone notice that Hellboy was almost wasting away to skin and bones near the end. I like that subtle change in his design, like being in hell is having a physical effect on him.
    Yeah. just like the other ghosts-that 'minister of the doomed' guy and other Ghosts. Watching Hellboy's true form? his Corpse? was pretty sad.

Fantastic Member

finally got around to reading #6. I enjoyed it a lot. It's a 4 star issue for me...

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Yeah, that most definitely stuck with me. I wasn't sure if it was just some sort of effect from the vampire, or if we were actually seeing Hellboy become like the other creatures he encounters that appear flesh and blood one moment, and dead and skeletal the next. As sad as it is to see the Big Guy like this, I hope Mignola continues to play with it. It just adds another layer of that surreal dreamlike quality this book is all about, and I couldn't be more excited to see just how weird this book may get.

I was actually thinking the other night about what this book may look like when it finally comes to the very, very end. I mean, even looking at those first issues of Seed of Destruction through to where Mignola's style is now... It's leaps and bounds different. And his style isn't done evolving yet. It could be so design-y and surreal by the end, that reading the saga from beginning to end could be like nothing else we've ever seen in comics.

Reread it again last night, and I enjoyed it much more than second go around.

Who was the demon-lady in the third(?) to last panel…? Not Hellboy's sister… right? The panel beneath it was in reference to Hellboy's slaying of Satan, so it made me wonder if Satan had a wife.

I guess this issue left me with a LOT of questions… but I still enjoyed it.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storey View Post
    Reread it again last night, and I enjoyed it much more than second go around.

Who was the demon-lady in the third(?) to last panel…? Not Hellboy's sister… right? The panel beneath it was in reference to Hellboy's slaying of Satan, so it made me wonder if Satan had a wife.

I guess this issue left me with a LOT of questions… but I still enjoyed it.
    Whoa, good eye, Storey! Just compared the panel in question with a few from The Midnight Circus, and I think it may very well be Hellboy's sister. Very much looking forward to where that thread is going.

I was under the impression it was Hellboy's sister, Gamori.

By the way, I'm really looking forward to this being collected in a library edition alongside The Three Gold Whips. While those two stories stand alone, they flow into each other really nicely, and they're better read back to back, especially to keep track of the four skeletons in the bar at the beginning of The Death Card. If it's too long since The Three Gold Whips, you're left wondering who the skeletons at the bar with the monkey are.

I enjoyed The Three Gold Whips much more than this one. It was still a very good issue and there was lots to learn. The men at the table describing the geography of hell (according to them). Also, the priest fellow in Hell was quite a suprise to see. I think my mind melted at the sight of the panel where we see the priest tied to the bell at the bottom of the sea. Fantastic stuff!

I'm sad to see that the skeleton guys are gone already, I would have liked to see more of them

Quote Originally Posted by Gruagach View Post
    I'm sad to see that the skeleton guys are gone already, I would have liked to see more of them
    Yeah, I was hoping they'd stick around a little longer. Oh well, hopefully Hellboy will run into them again.

I enjoyed the scene of redemption… the white dove was very powerful.

When Hellboy dissapears from the bar, was he transported to the real prague or was it just a different area of Hell that looks like prague?

Also, another thing I didn't notice the first time was when Hellboy was talking to those guys making the map of Hell, they turned into skeletons just before they left.

All-New Member

They turned back into skeletons! They're the two dead soldiers Hellboy met out in the graveyard with Captain Dulot in the previous issue.