Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    For many fans, that means you can make a "good" movie in which the hero can kill the villain, but a "good Superman" movie can't have that.
    Which is non-sensical. imo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Which is non-sensical. imo
    Superman is held in higher regard among his fan base and the world in general for that matter. Everything needs to be perfect and of course that will never happen but there are rules that need to be followed with Superman that other superhero's simply don't need to follow as closely with including Batman. This is what those currently in charge at DC and WB don't seem to understand. Superman is not another hero, he is THE hero.

When you're the first and the best fans seem to expect higher standards.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-03-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, I get the point, but that's really splitting hairs.
    At the end of the day, there's only one question left:
    did you enjoy the movie?
    I don't know, maybe it's because I consider movies as Elseworlds in the end, but everytime hear someone say "ho, it was a good movie, but Superman/Batman/Green Lantern/ Robin Hood didn't behave the way I expect so it's a bad "insert hero's name" movie", part of me always want to tell them to get lost and let the adults do the talking.
    Ironically, I feel like it's the kids who accept what they see on the screen, and it's the adults who nitpick and say things like, "That's not Superman/Batman/Green Lantern!"

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Ironically, I feel like it's the kids who accept what they see on the screen, and it's the adults who nitpick and say things like, "That's not Superman/Batman/Green Lantern!"
    Considering that the adults generally define who "Superman/Batman/Green Lantern" is according to how the character was portrayed when they were kids, that actually makes perfect sense.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Considering that the adults generally define who "Superman/Batman/Green Lantern" is according to how the character was portrayed when they were kids, that actually makes perfect sense.
    Pretty much.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Pretty much.
    Which is why I never take "this is not how X should act" type of arguments seriously when it comes to movies, or anything that doesn't actually mean "this is in contradiction with how he behaves in this continuity" ( that's a different argument), because the same character will be perceived completely differently depending of when he came into contact with Superman or even how.
    Hell, if you think about it, most of the fans "favorite' (if such a term makes any sense) take on one character are a betrayal of the takes that came before. So the argument can come off as hypocritical.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Which is why I never take "this is not how X should act" type of arguments seriously when it comes to movies, or anything that doesn't actually mean "this is in contradiction with how he behaves in this continuity" ( that's a different argument), because the same character will be perceived completely differently depending of when he came into contact with Superman or even how.
    Hell, if you think about it, most of the fans "favorite' (if such a term makes any sense) take on one character are a betrayal of the takes that came before. So the argument can come off as hypocritical.
    Well sure, Ones idea of what Superman is could be completely different from what another fans is. That is part of the reason MOS didn't bother me as much as it did others who are long time fans. I knew this was a new take with different ideas. Did I like the ending, NO but that is just me. To others it was perfect and that is fine. We are never going to have the perfect Superman movie because that simply doesn't exist and never will. The only perfect Superman movie you will see is the one in your mind because that is how you see the character, if you wait around for someone to share the same vision you do you're going to be waiting at the gates of heaven and still you may not see it as God will see Superman differently then you do.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.

I wouldn't necessarily call it hypocritical. Everyone has a preference, and nobody's required to say that a version that he/she doesn't look should get as much exposure as the one he/she likes. Does it come across as a wee bit entitled? Sure, but root for what you like. Once you reach a point, there's no sense in rationalizing why X is better than Y, it just becomes a declaration of preference.

I do think some of the complaining goes to far (exactly how far is too far, I have no idea), but a certain degree of caterwauling (exactly how much is okay I also don't know) is fine by me.

I think it's only hypocritical if you make up a silly set of rules that you obviously break, e.g. "Superman only works if blah blah blah..."

Astonishing Member

Whats hilarious is I started this thread about how MOS destroyed all other cbms last year in blueray/dvd sales even the more popular IM3 and the conversation has not been about that at all. Its delved back into a conversation about the relative quality of the film. I swear to goodness this must be the most divisive popular comic book movie in history. Although apparently one that alot more people wanted to own on DVD/Blue Ray than others lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I wonder why IM3 did so crappy with these sales. It had at least a month and a half jump on MOS as far as DVD/ blue ray sales. And it was the biggest cbm of the year by far but apparently no one wanted to own the thing lol
    Because it also was a PoS movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    It was good for a modern telling of the story. Is it great? not even close but it is not bad either. Only problem was as I have said time and again is the ending but overall it was well done for what it was aiming for.
    It had "problems" WAY before that, like Creepy Kooky Pa Kent, destroying the truck, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    My guess is that Iron Man 3, for a long time, was not available on Blu-ray for less than $30, and even now isn't listed below $25 on Amazon that I can find. Man of Steel is currently sitting at $12.50 or so.

I know that Iron Man's price was too prohibitive for me to consider purchasing it. Still is, though I would love to have a copy.
    That is a huge factor now that the mouse owns marvel they never lower their blu ray prices, it hurts them long term for non disney classics like their animation such as lionking etc will be in demand for a premium price but a scifi action flick will collect dust on a shelf 3 months later at 30 bucks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hamdinger View Post
    That is a huge factor now that the mouse owns marvel they never lower their blu ray prices, it hurts them long term for non disney classics like their animation such as lionking etc will be in demand for a premium price but a scifi action flick will collect dust on a shelf 3 months later at 30 bucks.

Is that a recent price change? Cause it didnt seem to affect the Avengers and even IM2 sold more than IM3. Alot more as a matter of fact if you look at DVD sales as well. Plus isnt Pirates Disney? Cause that thing sold a crap load of DVDS. Or do they just have high priced blu rays?

BANNED

Higher prices for Blu Ray (unjustifiably so) are one big reason why I hate Blu Ray.

DVD is good enough.

I see I was beaten to it but Disney priced themselves out on Iron Man 3. Superman MOS was garbage but really cheap.