Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kpop View Post
    Marvel Comics 2015: "The House of No New Ideas by Royal Edict"
    Ugh. I'm really starting to hate Disney.

Amazing Member

Didn't Chris Claremont say the same about X-men? That the x-writer's aren't allowed to create new headlining mutants lest they be snapped up for Fox movies..

A pretty sad state of affairs..

BANNED

Not sure why this only affects Spider-Gwen. Maybe the creative team doesn't get a bonus for creating original IPs if the movie rights don't go to Disney? So there's less reason to do so.

Wow, this is pretty frustrating news. So Sony could theoretically decide to run off and make a Spider-Gwen or Silk movie and no one in the Marvel camp could do anything about it? I have doubts that Sony would actually dare try something like that when they failed to make Peter Parker Spider-Man work, but I suppose I can understand Marvel's apprehension. What a bizarre, restricting set of rules for a comic book creative team. I love the Spider-Gwen book so far, and their different interpretations of established characters take is still pretty fun. But to be told you can't do anything that's entirely new must be quite a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Didn't Chris Claremont say the same about X-men? That the x-writer's aren't allowed to create new headlining mutants lest they be snapped up for Fox movies..

A pretty sad state of affairs..
    yeah and lots of people attacked him for it and demanded he show the receipts.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yeah and lots of people attacked him for it and demanded he show the receipts.
    Yes, because he himself went on to create a bunch of new characters after he said he couldn't...

perhaps marvel will let robbi rodriguez create a new character to hush this unfortunate rumour up as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    Wow, this is pretty frustrating news. So Sony could theoretically decide to run off and make a Spider-Gwen or Silk movie and no one in the Marvel camp could do anything about it? I have doubts that Sony would actually dare try something like that when they failed to make Peter Parker Spider-Man work, but I suppose I can understand Marvel's apprehension. What a bizarre, restricting set of rules for a comic book creative team. I love the Spider-Gwen book so far, and their different interpretations of established characters take is still pretty fun. But to be told you can't do anything that's entirely new must be quite a burden.
    Pretty much, yes. The FOX relationship is so bad TB went on record saying creators don't even get free screenings/movie tickets for the movies FOX makes based on the IP of these same creators. The saddest part is neither FOX nor Sony have consistently made good movies with the IPs they hold hostage... At least Sony has decided to work with Marvel on the Spider-Man movie...

Mighty Member

perhaps marvel will let robbi rodriguez create a new character to hush this unfortunate rumour up as well.
    Yes, I'm sure that is why everyone in the X-Men office has went on to create new characters. To shut up a rumor started on a blog somewhere.... Moreover considering how FOX is basically refusing to open a creative dialogue with the compony that actually creates the IP that FOX makes millions off of, I wouldn't say I'd blame Marvel

BANNED

It's not exactly holding anything hostage when they paid for the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Yes, I'm sure that is why everyone in the X-Men office has went on to create new characters. To shut up a rumor started on a blog somewhere.... Moreover considering how FOX is basically refusing to open a creative dialogue with the compony that actually creates the IP that FOX makes millions off of, I wouldn't say I'd blame Marvel
    let's try to stick to spider-gwen's circumstance for now. while the topics are related, this is the spider-man board. but you should know that fox has tried several times this year to open up negotiations and they have been fruitless.

I have a hard time believing this. We've already seen new characters introduced in both the spiderman and Xmen universes. Why would this restiction only apply to one title? Doesn't make sense.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It's not exactly holding anything hostage when they paid for the rights.
    FOX, which compared to Marvel at the time was an entertainment giant, managed to sign a deal that was super advantageous to FOX because Marvel was facing bankruptcy and was desperate enough? Yeah, that is true. But it is also unfair to almost vilify Marvel (not you personally, I'm speaking in general) for trying to stand up for it's IP. The same scenario applies to Sony.
    Last edited by solletaire; 07-31-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Mighty Member

let's try to stick to spider-gwen's circumstance for now. while the topics are related, this is the spider-man board. but you should know that fox has tried several times this year to open up negotiations and they have been fruitless.
    The only negotiations I'm aware of is FOX trying to talk to Marvel because want to make a TV show and for contractual reasons apparently can't without Marvel's permission. That is not exactly opening a creative dialogue with the compony, but OK... Negotiations being fruitless can be the result of both parties' actions...

But OK, last comment on the FOX relationship and X-Men franchise from me

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    I have a hard time believing this. We've already seen new characters introduced in both the spiderman and Xmen universes. Why would this restiction only apply to one title? Doesn't make sense.
    Lots of things Marvel and DC do don't make sense.