Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Much as I like Black Knight, Frank Tieri does absolutely nothing for me. His Original Sin story with Dane left me cold, and I have no interest in seeing a character I like in a 'Breaking Bad' role. 'Breaking Bad' was a great show, but too many people missed the fact that Walter White was the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    Much as I like Black Knight, Frank Tieri does absolutely nothing for me. His Original Sin story with Dane left me cold, and I have no interest in seeing a character I like in a 'Breaking Bad' role. 'Breaking Bad' was a great show, but too many people missed the fact that Walter White was the villain.
    Well I hope you give it chance as it needs all the support possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    Well I hope you give it chance as it needs all the support possible.
    Why would I support a book I know I'm not going to enjoy? If other people like Frank Tieri and are excited to see what he does with the character, that's awesome; I hope they get their money's worth from the book. However, unless it gets a new writer, there's really no incentive for me to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I think Tieri has missed the mark here. I like the concept of Weirdworld. I think a more savage character, like an Arkon, works well, in a sort of Conan vein. Putting Black Knight there instead creates a different dynamic, one I'm not sure I'll enjoy as much. Moreover, Tieri describes it as "sword and sorcery" and Dane, at his core, is sword and science. Put him somewhere he can use those science skills. Put him on an alien world with fantastical elements and technology (like a Burroughs' Mars). He's dealt with sorcery for a fair bit of his career, but I'd rather hoped we were past all that. I'm still not happy writers continue to want to toy with the Ebony Blade. The curse was broken! He moved on!

I'm frustrated.
    Agreed 100%

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I don't think Marvel's EVER had the rights to do an Elric series.

It would be cool to see 'tho.
    Titan have the rights, they have recently put out two graphic novels first one called Elric: Ruby Throne and second Elric Stormbringer and they are absolutely AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I hope Faiza Hussain plays a role or two in this series since she is Steward to the Black Knight.
    Yeah, I'm not on board for this without Faiza. I've never really disliked Dane, but he wasn't ever one of my faves, so I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I liked their dynamic under Cornell.

Incredible Member

Given how well Frank Tieri wrote Dane in both his NEW EXCALIBUR arc (giving us the best arc of that series IMHO) and in the ORIGINAL SINS story I have to say I'm very excited to see this (I actually think, blasphemous as this may be to some, that he wrote a better version of Dane then Cornell).

Like others have said, it would be nice if Faiza was in this as his Steward but as long as where she is (if not in the series) is *explained* I will be okay with it (I'd also quite like to see Sersi in the title but that seems less likely, maybe Arkon as an ally could be fun though).

Whatever happoens I know I look forward to getting this series!

Cheers.

James.

Astonishing Member

What is Weirdworld again?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I think Tieri has missed the mark here. I like the concept of Weirdworld. I think a more savage character, like an Arkon, works well, in a sort of Conan vein. Putting Black Knight there instead creates a different dynamic, one I'm not sure I'll enjoy as much. Moreover, Tieri describes it as "sword and sorcery" and Dane, at his core, is sword and science. Put him somewhere he can use those science skills. Put him on an alien world with fantastical elements and technology (like a Burroughs' Mars). He's dealt with sorcery for a fair bit of his career, but I'd rather hoped we were past all that. I'm still not happy writers continue to want to toy with the Ebony Blade. The curse was broken! He moved on!

I'm frustrated.
    I agree completely. As I've said in the Black Knight Appreciation Thread. The excessively dark tone they are selling is a turn off for me. And I always liked that Dane was a man of science with magic weapons. I guess that is why the revamp the Black Knight suffered for John Ostrander's 90's H4H worked so well for me. He was an unstoppable SOB, with cool mystical weapons, however, he no longer was bound by the curse. I prefer Dane to be the sane man that beat the curse, rather than the madman suffering under it, as he has been occasionally portraited.
    I do like the idea of exploring the origins of the meteor and that there may be other weapons such as the ebony sword around, though.

Peace

Amazing Member

More great news! A Doctor Strange series, a Hercules series and now a Black Knight book? Those are three of my favorite characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    Maybe that's the thing they want to put him in a full out mystical environment?

Also I think Weirdworld and Arkon make it out. We just don't know how yet.
    My assumption has been that the first arc of WEIRDWORLD sees Arkon become ruler of the land.

After issue two, I can't help but wonder whether or not that means Arkon might lose his sanity in the process. That might hinder his ability to be a protagonist; maybe we'll see him in a somewhat malevolent role in Black Knight.

-Pav, who is merely speculating...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Spectacular Member

This is the coolest post SW book I've seen. I will be trying this one out.

I don't know who Black Knight is (can anyone recommend something on this character for Marvel Unlimited?) but, that cover looks nice, the sketch of him IGN released makes the character look cool, and I like the sound of a book that'll be like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones combined.

What is Weirdworld though? I know it's a domain in Battleworld.

I never much cared for Black Knight. Well at least he doesn't seem to be wielding that light-sabre or wearing that jacket anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_anonymous View Post
    I'd rather have an Elric of Melnibone series to be honest
    Sweet Moorcock FTW. Though Elric was never my favourite character of his. I preferred the Hawkmoon books.

Speaking of Elric and GoT themed stuff I really want HBO to make a Chronicles of Amber series instead of an 8th season of Games.

And finally I never cared for Tieri. He always gave that wannabe tough guy vibe. One tough guy comic writer I'd like to see return is Beau Smith. I always wanted him on a Wildcat title.

The first Amber series would be awesome to adapt. Didn't love the follow-up series with Merlin, it started well, but lost its way, imo.