Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Star Wars, #7

Jason Aaron and Simone Bianchi tell the tale of Obi Wan Kenobi's early days of exile in "Star Wars" #7.

Full review here.

Incredible Member

This was another awesome issue of Star Wars. Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen are creating some absolutely fantastic Star Wars stories. I have never been as excited about Star Wars as I am now, and not because of the movies (which in my mind, still don't seem real), but because of the rebooted comic book line.

So first of all, good morning to Simone Bianchi on Star Wars. I must say I was impressed by several scenes and less by others. In general, the authors have a very static style, Cassaday without dynamism, are gifted to make decorations and above all, what we are interested in Star Wars vehicles. I say this because Bianchi is not a static style, we read the movement in his drawings ... and yet sets and speeders are for me excellently realized.
    So in my opinion, Bianchi has several guns on his shoulder. Similarly, I find his style quite close some artists of the era Legends through that and through my previous readings, I was in the mood, it's perfect!

Bianchi is very good at drawing characters closely. He worked very drawings, very detailed when we have a close-up or a global, full of character.

But there is always a but, when he has to place a person in the background, or simply if a character in the distance or in a wide shot, it corresponds to at most a blur spot. It felt very disappointed because indeed generally for authors is the drawing "zoom" that is hard to do (Larroca hello), but there it is controlled, then why not apply as for the rest?

It was almost that, especially since I love this style "draft" with abundant contours and color gradients ... damage.
    So I will not speak for ten pages is short, too short. Indeed it would have taken for a one-shot, an expanded version. Here it is that the story takes twenty pages, but it remains too anecdotal and mainly uses strings a little too big.
    Indeed, it would have been more interesting to react Kenobi to Tatooine crisis situation without involving Luke. His moods would have been more interesting if he hesitated to intervene to another child with Luke ... but the question does not even arise.

After all references to Luke and Ben had plans for him are a very good point. It's interesting to see what he had in mind when he landed on the planet with two suns at the end of Episode III, although eventually it will not lead to good projects ...

The use of the designer Simone Bianchi falls very apropos. First, because it is a break with the look very posed Cassaday and therefore the flashback appearance benefits. Secondly, because the Italian artist is too rare ... although not especially not a "monthly artist." And use it well for a special episode, outsized, is a very good idea, which continues to participate in the aspect of "all-stars" of the series. The number does not enlighten us on ALL the secrets of Kenobi (there's still room for plenty of things) but it is a good direction it would continue digging, perhaps because of a flashback episode between each arc?

In the genre too big strings, except Luke, it also has a certain scene in which Ben's powers would really be unmasked, but nobody seems to notice the obvious.
    Finally the big current problem we find virtually everywhere, novel or comics: a resolution too easy / fast. No one takes the time to conclude or find plausible explanations, it is a disappointment that I had for the moment with all the works of the new canon, except the first arc of Darth Vader
    "my feminism will be intersectional, or will it be bullshit." Kelly Sue Deconnick
    "All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all." Grant Morrison