Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Does DC consider tv show and movie universes to be Canon?

DC comics have a history of alternate and parallel universes. They have many different versions of many different people.

But, do they consider movies and tv shows that depict their own distinct versions of heros to be canon?

For example, is the Nolanverse consider a canon parallel universe to the Batman comics?

Tv Animated universe is completely separated and I think this goes the same for the tv live action series and the movie live action blockbusters.

Each universe has their own canon. It's not like the Nolanverse events effect the main Earth Prime universe in any way. So in that respect, yes they are all canon, but in the general history of the characters it does not fall in the canon. It's all up to the people in charge whether or not certain things become canon to the character's history. If certain characters/events become popular in another medium like tv and films then they could essentially be mentioned or show up in the Earth Prime universe. Harley Quinn is the biggest example of that, as she made her debut in the Batman animated series and has since become a mainstay in the Earth Prime universe. Most recently John Diggle made his debut in the Green Arrow books, with his first appearance being in the Arrow tv series.

So there's no straight answer to your question. It's all up to DC as to what they use as canon or not. Would you want the Joel Schumacher movie universe to be canon? Hell no.
    " I've always done what I truly believed was right. At first, people called me a hero for it ... and then a villain. As the memory of what I've done — and been — fades, I hope I will be seen ... in a different light." - Hal Jordan

BANNED

Generally speaking, no. Sometimes, if they are defining all of the various dimensions of whatever multiverse they have going on at the moment, they'll assign one to be for some TV property, but that never gets explored (since they really can't).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post
    DC comics have a history of alternate and parallel universes. They have many different versions of many different people.

But, do they consider movies and tv shows that depict their own distinct versions of heros to be canon?

For example, is the Nolanverse consider a canon parallel universe to the Batman comics?
    No, not in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post

Only by desperate fanboys.

The comic books and the TV/ movies are separate areas . . . things may be adapted from one into the other, but there's normally no true "canon" connection.

I consider it as such, that's all that matters to me lol.

There needs to be more connection between the Comics and TV/Movies, as Comics expand more and more into these mediums.

Until that time when there's a proper commitment to that connection, i will just maintain that it's canon in my own imagination and experience.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    I consider it as such, that's all that matters to me lol.

There needs to be more connection between the Comics and TV/Movies, as Comics expand more and more into these mediums.

Until that time when there's a proper commitment to that connection, i will just maintain that it's canon in my own imagination and experience.
    Star Wars' new policy of "Everything is canon, guided by the hands of the Story Team" is the first time in a long while we've seen any one even try to attempt this kind of interconnected singular canon. It will be interesting to see if Disney can pull it off or not.

. . . There needs to be more connection between the Comics and TV/Movies, as Comics expand more and more into these mediums . . .
    Why?

They are totally different mediums . . . a costume that looks cool when drawn in a comic book may look dorky if you try to adapt it into a live-action TV show or movie. A story arc people may enjoy in comic books may not work when chunked into a supposedly weekly TV show or a single live-action movie.

Just like you can't adapt a novel word-for-word, action-for-action into most movies, it would be a mistake to FORCE the comic book exactly down the throats of people creating the movie or TV show. And I'll be damned if I'll support a comic book that suddenly finds it has to conform exactly to some lame TV show based on the comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why?

They are totally different mediums . . . a costume that looks cool when drawn in a comic book may look dorky if you try to adapt it into a live-action TV show or movie. A story arc people may enjoy in comic books may not work when chunked into a supposedly weekly TV show or a single live-action movie.

Just like you can't adapt a novel word-for-word, action-for-action into most movies, it would be a mistake to FORCE the comic book exactly down the throats of people creating the movie or TV show. And I'll be damned if I'll support a comic book that suddenly finds it has to conform exactly to some lame TV show based on the comic book.
    Because there's a commitment to move into these other mediums, it's not exclusively off on it's own in Comics... there's evolution and expansion going on.

There are people out there who are introduced to Comics and the characters within Comics through these other mediums rather than the Comics themselves unlike in the past.

People like myself who has moved more toward Marvel as a result of the Movies, have a desire to connect with the Comics through the movies.... similarly, i've developed a great connection toward some characters through the Arrow TV series... when i experience them in Comics, it's natural for me to want to connect to them as i did in the TV series or Movies.

Comics aren't their own thing any longer playing in their sandbox with only each other, now that they've committed to expanding out into these other worlds... there's a responsibility to share and compromise with others.

As a huge TV fan, the connection i can establish through the TV series Arrow is so above and beyond what i can from the Comics... that becomes such a part of my heart, within my interests and engaging me mentally that when there exists a disconnect it loses me essentially.

I know it's an inconvenience to those who have loved and followed Comics for all these years, but as things move forward and expand and evolve... there's some compromises and changes needed. Movie/TV fans are becoming more and more a part of things now and moving toward the future.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.

. . . I know it's an inconvenience to those who have loved and followed Comics for all these years, but as things and expand and evolve... there's some compromises and changes needed. Movie/TV fans are becoming more and more a part of things now and moving toward the future.
    Most movie and TV fans ignore the comic books . . . why change things to alienate and lose the comic book fans who don't care about the movie / TV versions?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Most movie and TV fans ignore the comic books . . . why change things to alienate and lose the comic book fans who don't care about the movie / TV versions?
    Perhaps they ignore it because there exists a disconnect? If you love the TV series Arrow and you check out some Comics and there is no sort of connection or similarities to be found... that result is to be expected.

For example, i've started to really like the Huntress a lot because of Arrow... in this new Comic with Nightwing/Huntress, she is nothing like in the series, and so... i've basically lost interest right there already. Similarly, with Deadshot and Suicide Squad.... my mind is willing to embrace these characters that i've come to connect with from the TV series but it's left wanting and disconnected within the Comics.

I don't think we have the technical data in numbers, in how many fans are interested as a result of the TV series or Movies... so, i don't know if there's a way to tell how many are interested... but there are some out there, i've heard numerous stories about how the Batman movies got people into Batman Comics for example.

And it's still sort of the early stages of this greater expansion, the groundwork is being set... there's a bunch of Series and Movies coming out in the near and distant future. It's expanding and expanding.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-02-2014 at 11:37 AM.

BANNED

Well, to be clear, I don't think anybody thinks that the *majority* of people who view the TV or movies will come to comics, because the *majority* of those people either aren't inclined to expand their interest beyond the TV/movie OR they simply aren't people who like to read for pleasure.

There is also the problem of people who watch a TV show/movie not even realizing comics are still out there or how to find them.

BUT if comics could find ways to get the message out a little better that there are comics available that continue the story from the TV/movies, then I think there's a reasonably large chunk of folks we could bring in, and I think it would benefit to have a more cohesive scenario. The Star Trek comics have always worked with Paramount to make sure that the comics they produced generally worked within the movies.

However, I don't think DC would be willing to do this, as I don't think they would want to take on the extra work it would require. Right now, all they have to do is sign a contract and agree on which characters someone can use, and then they can sit back and collect their money. If they had to actually coordinate things, they would have to hire people to do that, and that would take away from the profits. So while I think it would be possible, and beneficial, I don't see them doing it.

I will never understand why people care about "canon".

Perhaps they ignore it because there exists a disconnect? If you love the TV series Arrow and you check out some Comics . . .
    But how many are likely to even bother with that? And it's not even like the old days when you might see a Batman comic book in the grocery store or at a convenience store while you're doing your regular stuff . . . more and more, you have to go to a comic book shop or an on-line site specializing in comic books to find them.

For example, i've started to really like the Huntress a lot because of Arrow... in this new Comic with Nightwing/Huntress, she is nothing like in the series, and so... i've basically lost interest right there already. Similarly, with Deadshot and Suicide Squad.... my mind is willing to embrace these characters that i've come to connect with from the TV series but it's left wanting and disconnected within the Comics.
    Is that the fault of the comic books or of the TV shows and movies that didn't EXACTLY adapt the comic books in the first place?