Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Didn't like the new Godzilla movie all that much. It was more about the villains & how the world reacted to the monsters, Godzilla just sort of has this weird justification for being a territorial predator and is simply there now and then. He's a sidecharacter to the human characters and the monsters he has to fight.
    Sounds like every other Godzilla movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I just learned that Yoshimitsu Banno, the director of the otherwise forgettable Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster in 1971 (also his only Godzilla movie), returned to the franchise to become executive producer of the new movie. I love it when generations come together in movies, and that there's a link to the past behind the scenes.
    That movie is fantastic! The Anime Network has been airing it non-top and Hulu has the undubbed version up now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Forgettable?? Man, that's one of my favorites! Hedorah (Smog Monster) was more than a match for Godzilla, whom without human intervention may have been killed. I can't believe how Kitamura crippled this fantastic kaiju in Final Wars. Even Kamakaris was needlessly shafted. I wish Final Wars could be forgettable, but it's so terrible in it's portrayal of Toho's greatest kaiju (and Matrix-fu), that it's forever burned in my memory.
    I enjoyed Final Wars but thought Tokoyo S.O.S. was the better ending of the Millennium series. I thought Giant Monsters All-Out Attack was vastly underrated; Big G was pretty nasty in that film. I'm also one of the few that really enjoyed the Millennium series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    So Banno had a hand in Legendary's Godzilla? Interesting... If it takes off, perhaps we'll see a Legendary Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, or a Toho Gojira x Hedorah...
    I would expect some new take if this new film does well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyMac27 View Post
    You just described quite a few of the TOHO Godzilla films. It can't be 90 mins to 2 hours of monsters fighting or destrying things. As cool as it sounds it would cause fatigue in the audience.
    Final Wars has that ... so do a couple of others. The best Godzilla films intertwine both nicely.

BANNED

Final Wars was ridiculous and awesome

Don Frye is the best actor ever

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Final Wars was ridiculous and awesome

Don Frye is the best actor ever
    American Mustache!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    So Banno had a hand in Legendary's Godzilla? Interesting... If it takes off, perhaps we'll see a Legendary Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, or a Toho Gojira x Hedorah...
    Okay, if you put it that way, then I wouldn't mind seeing nuSmog Monster

With the new Godzilla movie about to drop, I'm thinking of doing a mini marathon.

What would be your top 3 Godzilla movies (not Final Wars)?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Doesn't really require "looking back". It was always such a shameless Jurassic Park rip-off without any spark of its own. Not only was it a derivative, bombastic mess, it was a BORING derivative, bombastic mess.
    I said "looking back" because I haven't thought about this movie in many years, until this Honest Trailer.

This new movie was actually the first Godzilla movie I had ever seen and it was pretty cool. If there were any flaws, Bryan Cranston got sort of screwed over in this movie and I could have done with more scenes of Godzilla fighting the monsters rather the than human protagonists. However, when Godzilla used his atomic blast, I lost my ****.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-16-2014 at 04:55 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Also, can some of you hardcore Godzilla fans give me a list of movies to watch? I've been wanting to get into kaiju movies for a while now but have had no idea of where to start.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

My all-time favorite is Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, from the second series/wave of movies. Baby Godzilla! Rodan! Psychic twins! Mothra! Robots! Singing!

Final Wars was a beautiful way to say goodbye and hello, again. Everything somebody loved about some Godzilla movie all crammed together into one two hour burst.

I have a real soft spot for the Mothra-featuring movies, in general, including the for-younger-audience solo Mothra flicks, three of which were dubbed to English and shown on SciFi back when, but apparently only two of which are available in English on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Also, can some of you hardcore Godzilla fans give me a list of movies to watch? I've been wanting to get into kaiju movies for a while now but have had no idea of where to start.
    Depends on what kind of movies you like, or what you'd be looking for in a giant monster smash city movie. Some focus more on the monsters, some more on the people, some are slower than others, some faster, some more political, some are sillier, so try to be very very serious. Some are scary, some are funny, some are nostalgic action flicks.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

when Godzilla used his atomic blast, I lost my ****.
    This gives me hope.

No better place to start the the original 1954 Gojira film. The 1956 American version Godzilla, King of the Monsters! with Raymond Burr would also be acceptable.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Marvel gave us this fun little series back during the 1970s:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    This gives me hope.
    I cried tears of joy when it happened.

Godzilla was great. Perfect? No. But God Damn did I enjoy myself. Going to go see it again on Sunday!
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Marvel gave us this fun little series back during the 1970s:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Hmmm I'll look for this at the convention I'm going to next week.

I think I prefer the scarier Godzilla movies to anything overly campy so I'll look into those movies first,

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Half Century War is an amazing Godzilla comic, for those interested.

Big, loud giant monster action. Great pacing. Beautiful art. And, some great shifts in terms of the eras covered.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)