Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

For those interested in the Smog Monster and Gigan, they did bring us easily two of the three worst moments in Godzilla's history:

Smog Monster

Every wonder what Godzilla sounds like when he talks? Me either.

From Gigan.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Yeah, that part kind of pissed me off too, especially considering that they advertised that he would be a huge part of the movie.
    Bait and switch baby. Gotta have someone to carry the weight of the trailer I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    how deep or serious or philosophical do some expect kaiju movies to be?
    While most aren't deep (aside from the very first Godzilla) the films do tend to revolve around certain theme. It can be a moral like Mothra vs. Godzilla '64 with "greed and distrust is bad, helping your fellow man is good," or even the campy, low-budget Godzilla vs. Gigan patterning itself on comics because of the manga boom.

The 60s/70s Gamera films are terribly camp, yet oddly they spill more monster blood than most of the Godzilla films at the time I can remember.
    Tsuburaya didn't want to disturb children with gore, so that's why no blood in the Godzilla movies. The folks who made Gamera at the other studio had no qualms about it - yet their films were explicitly for children!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    While most aren't deep (aside from the very first Godzilla) the films do tend to revolve around certain theme. It can be a moral like Mothra vs. Godzilla '64 with "greed and distrust is bad, helping your fellow man is good," or even the campy, low-budget Godzilla vs. Gigan patterning itself on comics because of the manga boom.
    Even the unbelievably campy GODZILLA'S REVENGE had a surprisingly poignant message about responsible parenting. It was sobering to think that even a giant radioactive mutant dinosaur proved to be a more loving and responsible parent than many humans can claim to be.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I remember watching Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Megalon (my first G films) as a kid, and then being very confused as to why Godzilla was suddenly a villain in the third Godzilla film I saw, Godzilla vs Mothra (90s version)

The memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Even the unbelievably campy GODZILLA'S REVENGE had a surprisingly poignant message about responsible parenting. It was sobering to think that even a giant radioactive mutant dinosaur proved to be a more loving and responsible parent than many humans can claim to be.
    Honestly, I think when you take it for what it is as a little kid's movie Godzilla's Revenge is actually pretty good. There's some real emotional stuff to that kid's parents having to work all the time to make ends meat while the kid has to grow up by himself. The worst thing about it is that most of the monster stuff is stock footage. If not for that I'd rate it higher.

Godzilla's Revenge was apparently a nightmare to make. Special effects director Tsuburaya, the heart and soul of the series, had died. No one wanted to make movies without him, but Toho had a Godzilla-shaped hole in their schedule and basically ordered everybody to make a movie primarily using stock footage. Haruo Nakajima, the guy who played Godzilla, only did two more films after that. Director Ishiro Honda was lured back to make one more Godzilla film a few years later. The fact that the film is watchable at all is impressive.

I just finished watching Godzilla 2000 and thought it was pretty fun. One of the guys in the movie looks like an Asian Bruce Campbell and he even sounds like him in the dub, so that was pretty awesome.

Next on the list is Godzilla vs. Megaguirus!
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-16-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Just Saw Godzilla 2014......Gareth Edwards, The Cast and The Crew DID IT!

As a Godzilla fan of nearly 24 years, I HIGHLY Recommend seeing it!

Best part of my movie viewing, the Audience clapped loudly 3 Times During the Movie, that was Amazing!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

It was ok. I understand they were going for a less is more thing like in Jaws where you hardly see the shark but I think Edwards pushed it a little too far. Cutting away right before any fights actually start was a bit annoying. Not a bad movie by any means but it could have been better.

Godzilla 2014 was absolutely amazing. It takes a while to build up, but the third act is so worth it (seriously, it is crazy). Definitely an instant favorite.

BANNED

I actually was kind of sad when Godzilla died following a radioactive meltdown in Godzilla vs Destroyah, thought that was the end of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    For those interested in the Smog Monster and Gigan, they did bring us easily two of the three worst moments in Godzilla's history:

Smog Monster
    I refuse to believe any top worst Godzilla moments exist outside of Godzilla vs Megalon, even flying Godzilla can't compare to drop kick Godzilla
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OY1drc8_U#t=830

As for the new movie, loved it, had a great number of Hell yeah moments(my favorite in particular was the first time he brought out the atomic breath, though the tail whip of death, neck bite on feMuto, and of course the atomic death kiss were all notable)

And MOST importantly, it did what 1998 Zilla didn't, it FELT like a Godzilla movie.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It was ok. I understand they were going for a less is more thing like in Jaws where you hardly see the shark but I think Edwards pushed it a little too far. Cutting away right before any fights actually start was a bit annoying. Not a bad movie by any means but it could have been better.
    I agree, by no means it was perfect, the cut out from some of the fights where indeed annoying, but indeed it seems to make up for it by the time the third act happen after the Halo Jump Happen, but that is just IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Godzilla 2014 was absolutely amazing. It takes a while to build up, but the third act is so worth it (seriously, it is crazy). Definitely an instant favorite.
    Indeed, when I think threw it, everything was good in acts 1 and 2, but took some time to build, but after the Halo Jump which started act 3 that brought everything together! It is an unique movie that you appreciated the beginning parts allot more once you see how it wraps up, many movies do that in their own way, but the last part adds allot to help the start indeed.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I always liked to think that the Godzilla from Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus was the grown-up Godzilla Jr. after he was resurrected at the end of Godzilla vs. Destroyah.