Page 91 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1705
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes really. I mean, you might have a point with the stock footage, I always found that inexcusable, but otherwise they still put effort into making it an enjoyable movie for kids I think. The stories were dumb, but you could follow the logic without too many plot holes. With Godzilla vs Kong, I felt the whole plot was just one big hole. Like, the movies for kids didn't feel like they were dumbed down to the same extent that this movie was. The only thing GvK has going for it, literally the only single thing, is the special effects. Godzilla and Kong have never looked better, have never fought better, have never been in better sets. But that's all just the CGI. Take away that, and...there's nothing left.
    I can't totally agree. I don't get how GvK was dumbed down anymore than any of the movies from Sea Monster to Megalon. I'm not saying GvK's plot or characters were great, but I never felt insulted or annoyed like when I watched Revenge or Hedorah or Gigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I can't totally agree. I don't get how GvK was dumbed down anymore than any of the movies from Sea Monster to Megalon. I'm not saying GvK's plot or characters were great, but I never felt insulted or annoyed like when I watched Revenge or Hedorah or Gigan
    Then to each their own I guess - I never felt insulted or annoyed watching Sea Monster, Megalon, Revenge, Hedorah, or Gigan, but I personally felt both in spades watching GvK. I just can't stand the movie beyond the action - and while for me the action/CGI is the only good feature, it's not enough to be a fully redeeming feature.

Ultimate Member

Then to each their own I guess - I never felt insulted or annoyed watching Sea Monster, Megalon, Revenge, Hedorah, or Gigan, but I personally felt both in spades watching GvK. I just can't stand the movie beyond the action - and while for me the action/CGI is the only good feature, it's not enough to be a fully redeeming feature.
    Ok. I thought a lot of those older ones were too hokey and childish. GvK didn't have great human characters, but they didn't seem juvenile to me or poorly acted

Ok. I thought a lot of those older ones were too hokey and childish. GvK didn't have great human characters, but they didn't seem juvenile to me or poorly acted
    I think that might be the difference - they weren't juvenile or poorly acted, but much much worse than that they didn't matter and were given nothing interesting to do. They had no story arc, they're usefulness to the plot felt contrived, and if you removed them, and the plot, and turned the whole movie into a disjointed clip show of fight scenes, you'd improve the experience.

I've found it interesting that both Japanese Bond girls from YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE were both in the original KING KONG VS GODZILLA.

Also saw SEVEN SAMURAI and Takashi Shimura, who played a middle aged scientist in the first two Japanese films, was the head Samurai.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

I think that might be the difference - they weren't juvenile or poorly acted, but much much worse than that they didn't matter and were given nothing interesting to do. They had no story arc, they're usefulness to the plot felt contrived, and if you removed them, and the plot, and turned the whole movie into a disjointed clip show of fight scenes, you'd improve the experience.
    GvK could've benefitted from a shorter runtime and fewer characters overall. Many were pointless and didn't contribute much to the plot. But I didn't get annoyed watching them like I did with some of the hokey characters from the later Showa movies, or even the Heisei ones.

GvK could've benefitted from a shorter runtime and fewer characters overall. Many were pointless and didn't contribute much to the plot. But I didn't get annoyed watching them like I did with some of the hokey characters from the later Showa movies, or even the Heisei ones.
    To each their own then, I just know that I personally have never been as frustrated watching a Godzilla movie as I was with this one. I was just so disappointed and can't see myself ever wanting to subject myself to this again. Which is a shame, it really does have the greatest Kaiju action I've ever seen, but the rest of the movie is just too awful to be worth it.

Ultimate Member

To each their own then, I just know that I personally have never been as frustrated watching a Godzilla movie as I was with this one. I was just so disappointed and can't see myself ever wanting to subject myself to this again. Which is a shame, it really does have the greatest Kaiju action I've ever seen, but the rest of the movie is just too awful to be worth it.
    Ok. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as most Showa or Heisei human characters.

Ok. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as most Showa or Heisei human characters.
    And I think bad characters are still better than pointless characters.

Ultimate Member

And I think bad characters are still better than pointless characters.
    I guess I don't totally agree on that in this case.

Astonishing Member

I might have to agree with you on this point just because after KOM I was hyped, walking out of the theatre planning to see it again and checking my phone for the soundtrack/score it was nostalgic of my mood after G movies as a kid. After GvK ended I was happy G won for the most part but I was like good fight scenes but I never watched it again even though it was easily available on my tv for an entire month. I saw KOM twice and had planned a third trip and got downloads from Amazon to hold me over until my soundtrack CD came in. If KOM didn't exist so recently I wouldn't judge GvK so harshly but one seemed like a movie made for G fans and the other was a blockbuster filled with corporate compromises because of the licensed properties. Now the fight scenes were epic and multiple in GvK but they were the only positive of the movie besides the little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I might have to agree with you on this point just because after KOM I was hyped, walking out of the theatre planning to see it again and checking my phone for the soundtrack/score it was nostalgic of my mood after G movies as a kid. After GvK ended I was happy G won for the most part but I was like good fight scenes but I never watched it again even though it was easily available on my tv for an entire month. I saw KOM twice and had planned a third trip and got downloads from Amazon to hold me over until my soundtrack CD came in. If KOM didn't exist so recently I wouldn't judge GvK so harshly but one seemed like a movie made for G fans and the other was a blockbuster filled with corporate compromises because of the licensed properties. Now the fight scenes were epic and multiple in GvK but they were the only positive of the movie besides the little girl.
    Honestly, as much as a Godzilla fan as I am, I really wish he had lost - he was a real ass to Kong for no reason here.

Astonishing Member

maybe Legendary did that so maybe Toho would take it easy on them on the next set of licenses since they are sure they will do right by Godzilla. If Kong jobbing gets me more American made Godzilla films then I am glad that Kong took that L.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, as much as a Godzilla fan as I am, I really wish he had lost - he was a real ass to Kong for no reason here.
    He's Godzilla. He fights other monsters for no obvious reason all the time. Besides, he's way more powerful than Kong. I think him winning makes sense

Astonishing Member

The movie brought up a couple of times ancient rivalries and the beginning of the movie included basically a vs tournament recap. It might be worth looking into later. Or not at all and just fight common enemies from now on.