Page 68 of 114 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1704

I found KotM to be very disappointing.

One of my biggest problems was the degree to which all the monsters are reduced to pawns of the humans. This would be enough of an issue on its own terms. But the human cast is across the board uninteresting, unlikeable, and underwritten. In the 2014 film, we spend a ton of time with the humans, but it isn't their story. They aren't driving the story, they're surviving it. But in KotM, it's the humans' story, and the kaiju are there to support it. The plot is excessively elaborate and less than compelling. The only likeable ones of the human cast are the two scientists from the previous movie, and they both get killed off. It doesn't build confidence for the subsequent movies.

We get a lot more kaiju screen time, yes, but its also so clumsily done. Most of it, the film can't seem to decide whether the focus of the scene is meant to be on the people or the kaiju, so it ends up doing neither well. I'm especially thinking of Ghidorah in Antartica. In the 2014 film, most of the time they decided the focus was to be on the people; it functioned to explore a different dimension of the consequence of the kaiju encounters. The scenes when the focus on the kaiju in that movie, though sparse, had a sense of majesty and weight to them. KotM wants to have it's cake and eat it too, leaving most of the kaiju scenes muddled, unfocused, and underwhelming.

There's never and suspense, either. Think of the Oxygen Destroyer scene; the existence of that weapon is established about two minutes before it goes off, and the film moves on from contemplating it minutes after.

The only well executed kaiju scene was the big, finale fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah in Boston. That was great. And throughout the movie, the monsters consistently look great, even when the scenes aren't exactly beautifully framed.

^ I agree with a lot of that.

Unfortunately, I think the special effects scenes are undercut buy some bad creative and technical decisions. Everything's always obscured by weather. The monster scenes are broken up buy human reaction shots of equal length making the fights choppy and hard to follow. They try to replicate the 2014 film's penchant for putting the characters harm's way to demonstrate scale, but the execution is nowhere near as good and it makes scenes more awkward than anything.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I loved Godzilla King of the Monsters.

Easily my top 3 movies in the entire franchise and I think I saw them all so far.

- Far more Monster Action vs Humans
    - An extremely rare time where I was interested in the plot for the humans
    - Great special effects
    - Awesome Story all around. Love King G's Origin
    - Most importantly, love the pacing for Big G

Me, I'm giving this a 10 out of 10

I’m reading the “art of the movie” book, and it is helping fill in some of the gaps that the movie didn’t really touch on;
    1) dr russel’s character; the book really didn’t help me understand her motivations more. I wonder if the movie might have gone over a little better if gidorah had come to earth from space at the start, and stirring up the Titans, instead of being found frozen in ice. Then monarch could’ve been focused on more fully and we wouldn’t have wasted time with the family drama or the eco terrorisim stuff that weren’t really developed so well.
    2) i took my bathroom break around the time when we got to see castle bravo, so I probably missed some things. When godzilla confronted the base, and the scene in the ruins, I couldn’t really see godzilla so well, so i couldn’t tell how really close he was. I couldn’t really see his eyes. I’m hoping i’ll Get a better look when the blu ray comes out.

Did anyone else notice the large ammount of christian symbolism in the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    There was more Toaist stuff than Christian.

You had the cross in Mexico because that is a landmark akin to the Statue of Liberty.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There was more Toaist stuff than Christian.

You had the cross in Mexico because that is a landmark akin to the Statue of Liberty.
    Not what i meant

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ I agree with a lot of that.

Unfortunately, I think the special effects scenes are undercut buy some bad creative and technical decisions. Everything's always obscured by weather. The monster scenes are broken up buy human reaction shots of equal length making the fights choppy and hard to follow. They try to replicate the 2014 film's penchant for putting the characters harm's way to demonstrate scale, but the execution is nowhere near as good and it makes scenes more awkward than anything.
    Yeah, that's absolutely right.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Mind elaborating? I don't recall seeing much myself (and I'm a Christian), but I'd be interested to see what I may've overlooked or had go over my head.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Not what i meant
    VVV This ... vvv
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Mind elaborating? I don't recall seeing much myself (and I'm a Christian), but I'd be interested to see what I may've overlooked or had go over my head.
    Yes, please do. Apparently we all missed it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Among other things

Serizawa carrying the nuke evoked imagery of christ bearing the cross. Both to their death and then leading to a rebirth ( albeit of godzilla here)

Thats just one. Im writing an article and will share it when its done

Among other things

Serizawa carrying the nuke evoked imagery of christ bearing the cross. Both to their death and then leading to a rebirth ( albeit of godzilla here)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    I was gonna debate that the only religious symbolism used was Taoist and some Japanese dragon stuff but then ...

Among other things

That feels more of a reach than anything, you got any other examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That feels more of a reach than anything, you got any other examples?
    A few. Im putting it into an article