Page 103 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1705

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm really just interested in Singular Point and whatever Toho's timer is about. Legendary's Monsterverse is dead to me. They just messed up the Godzilla and King Kong once in a lifetime my dream since childhood far too badly. I just can't put myself through anything like that again. Even if they somehow don't make something that bad again...I'm just not willing to watch anything that continues off of the events of that. I'm praying that after 6 years Toho's finally looking to start making Godzilla movies of their own again.
    Sounds like we're gonna both which makes me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Godzilla TV Show Set In MonsterVerse Happening: Get The Details

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-tv-s...9T_OJ7TbPTzkow
    Looks like the Legendary announcement is out now.

Too bad it is on Apple TV.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Godzilla TV Show Set In MonsterVerse Happening: Get The Details

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-tv-s...9T_OJ7TbPTzkow
    Cautiously interested but I've heard conflicting reports about whether Godzilla will actually appear in this

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Looks like the Legendary announcement is out now.

Too bad it is on Apple TV.
    It really sucks how the digital age opened Pandora’s Box to where every large company now feels they have to make their own streaming services. These companies can’t possibly expect the average person to subscribe to 30 different streaming services to see all the content they want.

As a whole, I just wonder how much of the monsters they would actually show? I don’t think Monarch in general would be enough to engage my interest since that was one of the things I really wasn’t too interested in during the films.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

I'm really just interested in Singular Point and whatever Toho's timer is about. Legendary's Monsterverse is dead to me. They just messed up the Godzilla and King Kong once in a lifetime my dream since childhood far too badly. I just can't put myself through anything like that again. Even if they somehow don't make something that bad again...I'm just not willing to watch anything that continues off of the events of that. I'm praying that after 6 years Toho's finally looking to start making Godzilla movies of their own again.
    Yea I was pretty bummed out myself on that one, although probably for different reasons. Apart from the nonsensical elements, I was mainly bummed out about Godzilla couldn’t hit King for nothing with his ray (grazed him one time). And then when Mechagodzilla came out, Godzilla couldn’t land a single hit and Mechagodzilla never tasted Godzilla’s ray. It was very frustrating to learn it was totally done on purpose just to make sure Kong had to step in and save him. In fact the whole Legendary Godzilla has been missed opportunities. In the first one, they wouldn’t show the battles then the one time they did it was too darn dark to see much of anything. He looked better in KOTM but this time he was hidden by both the dark AND rain and they (once again) kept cutting away from the action to go to the humans I couldn’t have cared less about).

Sadly, Toho hasn’t faired much better. Shin Godzilla was too ugly and slow moving to care about. That exact same problem that plagued the Anime trilogy (Godzilla Earth is my least favorite Godzilla EVER…even worse than GINO). God those were AWFUL! Singular Point was the best of Toho’s recent efforts but that isn’t saying much. I didn’t like his design in that either, but at least it didn’t bore me to tears like Shin and the Anime trilogy. I am really hoping Toho gets Godzilla back on track soon.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Yea I was pretty bummed out myself on that one, although probably for different reasons. Apart from the nonsensical elements, I was mainly bummed out about Godzilla couldn’t hit King for nothing with his ray (grazed him one time). And then when Mechagodzilla came out, Godzilla couldn’t land a single hit and Mechagodzilla never tasted Godzilla’s ray. It was very frustrating to learn it was totally done on purpose just to make sure Kong had to step in and save him. In fact the whole Legendary Godzilla has been missed opportunities. In the first one, they wouldn’t show the battles then the one time they did it was too darn dark to see much of anything. He looked better in KOTM but this time he was hidden by both the dark AND rain and they (once again) kept cutting away from the action to go to the humans I couldn’t have cared less about).
    Maybe with this new show, none of that will happen. That depends on the budget and directors, though. I didn't know Godzilla was made to be unable to hit his foes so Kong could be made to save him, though

Sadly, Toho hasn’t faired much better. Shin Godzilla was too ugly and slow moving to care about. That exact same problem that plagued the Anime trilogy (Godzilla Earth is my least favorite Godzilla EVER…even worse than GINO). God those were AWFUL! Singular Point was the best of Toho’s recent efforts but that isn’t saying much. I didn’t like his design in that either, but at least it didn’t bore me to tears like Shin and the Anime trilogy. I am really hoping Toho gets Godzilla back on track soon.
    While I like how all the new Godzilla projects of the past decade have wild and creative ideas, the execution leaves much to be desired. I'm not a fan of how Shin, Godzilla Earth trilogy and SP all make him into this slow beast with no personality. He evolved past that in the 60s (too far, but then got better in the 90s). I want a Godzilla who's an actual character.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Maybe with this new show, none of that will happen. That depends on the budget and directors, though. I didn't know Godzilla was made to be unable to hit his foes so Kong could be made to save him, though

While I like how all the new Godzilla projects of the past decade have wild and creative ideas, the execution leaves much to be desired. I'm not a fan of how Shin, Godzilla Earth trilogy and SP all make him into this slow beast with no personality. He evolved past that in the 60s (too far, but then got better in the 90s). I want a Godzilla who's an actual character.
    I believe it was in the latest issue of “G-Fan” magazine where I read that they deliberately made Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla a very one-sided battle so Kong could be “redeemed” to come in and save him. But for me, that totally ruined the fight to see Godzilla getting completely owned by a mechanical doppelgänger where he couldn’t land a single hit. That’s not a fight; that’s a killing. To see the “king” of monsters (who, I understand was still weakened after battling Kong) getting his tail completely handed to him to where he was totally powerless against one of man’s weapons, really made Godzilla look like a total punk. Originally, they said the battle wasn’t going to be so one-sided and that is, undoubtedly, the fight I would have much rather seen. So I feel the moviemakers totally blew it there.

And yes, I totally agree. Toho has, essentially, made Godzilla into a lumbering mountain with a head that constantly needs to nap. I find that very boring. In all honesty, the last Godzilla movie that I really felt excited for was “Godzilla vs. Destoroyah”. But I still enjoyed the Millennium films to varying degrees. However, nothing they have done since “Shin Godzilla” has gotten me pumped up for Toho Godzilla. Initially, I was intrigued by the idea of the Godzilla Animes, but they keep trying to “reinvent” Godzilla in those (and failing). Please Toho, just give me a recognizable Godzilla with interesting characters, amazing monster battles and great animation to give us the intensity that the live action films are not able to. I don’t need all these philosophical ramblings and lumbering sleepy time Godzilla after his 8 pointless transformations.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 01-22-2022 at 02:54 AM.

Ultimate Member

I believe it was in the latest issue of “G-Fan” magazine where I read that they deliberately made Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla a very one-sided battle so Kong could be “redeemed” to come in and save him. But for me, that totally ruined the fight to see Godzilla getting completely owned by a mechanical doppelgänger where he couldn’t land a single hit. That’s not a fight; that’s a killing. To see the “king” of monsters (who, I understand was still weakened after battling Kong) getting his tail completely handed to him to where he was totally powerless against one of man’s weapons, really made Godzilla look like a total punk. Originally, they said the battle wasn’t going to be so one-sided and that is, undoubtedly, the fight I would have much rather seen. So I feel the moviemakers totally blew it there.
    Yeah, I can see how disappointing that was. Personally, I thought MechaGodzilla should've just been the bad guy in his own movie. And Godzilla can still be allowed to put up a good fight while MechaGodzilla being tougher

And yes, I totally agree. Toho has, essentially, made Godzilla into a lumbering mountain with a head that constantly needs to nap. I find that very boring. In all honesty, the last Godzilla movie that I really felt excited for was “Godzilla vs. Destoroyah”. But I still enjoyed the Millennium films to varying degrees. However, nothing they have done since “Shin Godzilla” has gotten me pumped up for Toho Godzilla. Initially, I was intrigued by the idea of the Godzilla Animes, but they keep trying to “reinvent” Godzilla in those (and failing). Please Toho, just give me a recognizable Godzilla with interesting characters, amazing monster battles and great animation to give us the intensity that the live action films are not able to. I don’t need all these philosophical ramblings and lumbering sleepy time Godzilla after his 8 pointless transformations.
    Now that I think about, the Millennium era is a reverse of the Reiwa era, because the Millennium movies basically repeated a lot of Heisei plots but make Godzilla and the other daikaiju actual characters. The Reiwa era does the opposite, while the Monsterverse is more like the Millennium.

Tbh I like there to be philosophy and I don't want the movies to be just action or use the same plots over again. I want to see interesting and new ideas, but I agree the reinvention shouldn't be too extreme or go in the wrong direction. And it's not much of a reinvention when Shin, Godzilla Earth and Singular Point all give us the same lumbering sleepy Godzilla

I hope so, but I kind of doubt it. Toho seems too content to make live action films again. I think they're just going to let legendary handle the films and other studios anime like the trilogy and Singular Point. Which is a shame. Hope I'm wrong.

Different reasons indeed - frankly the plot was so bad and so full of plot holes that the main draw, the fact these two were fighting at all, became a serious fucking frustration. They basically chucked out the last two Godzilla movies of characterization and had Godzilla be a monkey hating racist would-be serial killer murder demon lizard for no reason beyond shits and giggles who when Kong was separated from him by the entire crust, mantle, and core of the earth, with a unpowered Mechgodzilla three feet from him, ignored the Mechagodzilla threat to blast a hole to the center of the earth just to **** with monkey boy for no reason other than lulz evil. Then Godzilla curbstomps Kong to death. Then when Kong's revived he saves he assaulter and killer because a girl said the robot was his real enemy, which makes no goddamn sense. And then instead of burying the axe in his killer's head while Godzilla's still down he lets the damn lizard to get up who then threatens his fucking savior to drop the axe and force him to retreat back to the underworld he fucking drew him out of. And somehow this is supposed to be a happy ending? And not only are fans happy with that, but thinks this leaves them in a position to ally and team up in a future movie, because I guess Kong is Godzilla's bitch and that's what bitches do I guess?

They made me hate every fight scene. An epic, Hollywood special effects showdown between my favorite kaiju, an event I've been waiting my whole life to see happen, and legitimately the best kaiju fight scenes ever put to film, and they screwed the motivation, characterization, and reasoning behind why they're fighting so badly that I couldn't even enjoy it and hated every moment of the best kaiju action ever. That's fucking evil.

So yeah, the Monsterverse is dead to me and I'm not watching this new series or anything else set in that continuity ever again.

On the other hand, opposite of you I really loved Shin Godzilla. Probably my favorite kaiju movie to date, thought it was amazing. Like it's hard for me to understand how anyone didn't like it, but different strokes I guess. I think Toho lost their way with the anime a bit, but they were definitely on track with Shin. I almost love it as much as I hate GvK.

Ultimate Member

Different reasons indeed - frankly the plot was so bad and so full of plot holes that the main draw, the fact these two were fighting at all, became a serious fucking frustration. They basically chucked out the last two Godzilla movies of characterization and had Godzilla be a monkey hating racist would-be serial killer murder demon lizard for no reason beyond shits and giggles who when Kong was separated from him by the entire crust, mantle, and core of the earth, with a unpowered Mechgodzilla three feet from him, ignored the Mechagodzilla threat to blast a hole to the center of the earth just to **** with monkey boy for no reason other than lulz evil. Then Godzilla curbstomps Kong to death. Then when Kong's revived he saves he assaulter and killer because a girl said the robot was his real enemy, which makes no goddamn sense. And then instead of burying the axe in his killer's head while Godzilla's still down he lets the damn lizard to get up who then threatens his fucking savior to drop the axe and force him to retreat back to the underworld he fucking drew him out of. And somehow this is supposed to be a happy ending? And not only are fans happy with that, but thinks this leaves them in a position to ally and team up in a future movie, because I guess Kong is Godzilla's bitch and that's what bitches do I guess?

They made me hate every fight scene. An epic, Hollywood special effects showdown between my favorite kaiju, an event I've been waiting my whole life to see happen, and legitimately the best kaiju fight scenes ever put to film, and they screwed the motivation, characterization, and reasoning behind why they're fighting so badly that I couldn't even enjoy it and hated every moment of the best kaiju action ever. That's fucking evil.

So yeah, the Monsterverse is dead to me and I'm not watching this new series or anything else set in that continuity ever again.

On the other hand, opposite of you I really loved Shin Godzilla. Probably my favorite kaiju movie to date, thought it was amazing. Like it's hard for me to understand how anyone didn't like it, but different strokes I guess. I think Toho lost their way with the anime a bit, but they were definitely on track with Shin. I almost love it as much as I hate GvK.
    Agreed with all of this.

I also love love LOVE Shin Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed with all of this.

I also love love LOVE Shin Godzilla.
    It was the only time I've ever felt anger over a film. In a vacuum it'd have still been a shitty film. But as part of a universe where I'm pretty positive the director never watched the previous movies, it was fucking horrendous.
    Of course you got part of the fanbase who thinks that Godzilla should never be heroic, so thought this film where he was completely fucking evil to Kong for no reason was the first time they got him right. But if you invested in the films and characterization up until that point. Ugh...

But yeah. Shin was good. I don't get the complaint that it's boring just because he's slow and doesn't express emotions. The plot is pretty tight and good, the cinematography is good, the soundtrack works, Godzilla is a beast. It's just a movie that works. It's not perfect, but it's easily one of the better films in the franchise and you could tell people cared. There's more important aspects to a Godzilla movie than how good of a combatant he is. The only good thing about GvK was the fight scenes, and if you cared at all about what had been shown in the three movies before it, like me, then it doesn't matter how cool they looked, they shouldn't have been fighting at all because "lulz Godziller is evils". Just...once in a lifetime event and they gave it to a guy who didn't give a **** because "literally the only thing that matters is the fight scenes"...and people fucking agreed.

Please let Toho make another live action film at some point...

Extraordinary Member

As a film Shin is one of the best in the franchise for sure. I don't like the 'shoots beams from everywhere' thing they did. It seems too silly for the film's tone and also cheapens the atomic breath. And while the design worked for that film, I don't think it should be brought back or made the default Godzilla design the way the Biolante and 2000 designs were.

In terms of GvK, it was the ultimate in turn-your-brain-off popcorn entertainment, and it came out at the perfect time for the kind of dumb action movie it was. 99% of people just wanted to see a giant lizard and a giant monkey punch each other after a year in lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    As a film Shin is one of the best in the franchise for sure. I don't like the 'shoots beams from everywhere' thing they did. It seems too silly for the film's tone and also cheapens the atomic breath. And while the design worked for that film, I don't think it should be brought back or made the default Godzilla design the way the Biolante and 2000 designs were.

In terms of GvK, it was the ultimate in turn-your-brain-off popcorn entertainment, and it came out at the perfect time for the kind of dumb action movie it was. 99% of people just wanted to see a giant lizard and a giant monkey punch each other after a year in lockdown.
    Ultimate in turn-your-brain-off is right, but I don't get the popcorn entertainment thing.
    Look, I'm not some fancy critic guy, I honestly wanted a dumb fun movie. I just felt it fell below dumb into the realm of mentally retarded if not truly brain dead, and I just couldn't have fun with that. Maybe it was just timing and people needed something that stupid after a year of lock down, but it's meant that imo the worst Godzilla or worst Kong movie of all time with the worst tone and set up became the most widely watched and profitable of the franchise and will thus hold an outsized hold over the future of said franchise and especially over this continuity going forward. Everything else is going to follow up on and build upon a film I can not stand or tolerate even a little bit. So the Monsterverse is effectively dead to me. I can't get excited for or hold positive feelings for any Monsterverse news. Seeing pictures and gifs from that movie makes me feel slight revulsion. Which is sad, because this is all there is in live action Godzilla content. Toho has shown their happy and content to just stick to small things like the anime and cash in the checks from legendary, which means that I'm probably not going to get to see a Godzilla movie this decade until the Monsterverse eventually runs its course 10 or better years from now. And the anime hasn't been great. Right now, if the MV is dead to you, is a **** time to be a Godzilla fan. I don't know when or if another film I'll enjoy might be made.

If the MVerse is dead to you, why post about it?

Toho has theater space reserved 9/24/24 and 9/16/21 and in 2023 ... Sounds like a tease is coming based on the countdown.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

If the MVerse is dead to you, why post about it?
    Because it's frustrating. A few years ago after 2014 and Shin it seemed like things were finally looking up as a huge Godzilla fan. Fast forward to disappointing anime versions and a King Kong vs Godzilla rematch that managed to piss me off and kill my interest for where it goes next, and I'm understandably upset. As long as the Monsterverse continues all we'll get out of Japan is more anime takes. I just want another live action Japanese Godzilla, but I don't think I can get that, or if I do it'll only be once a decade. I'm allowed to be frustrated that versions I don't care for is holding back the possibility of versions I would like.