Page 48 of 114 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Does anyone know why they decided to make Godzilla smaller during the Millennium era? For most of the Heisei era he was 100 meters tall, but in Godzilla 2000 and most of the other movies in the Millennium era he was just 55 meters tall? Why did they decide to shrink him, and if they wer going to make him smaller, why not go back to the 50 meters he was in the Showa era? Does an extra 5 meters really make such a difference? Just something I always found weird but can't find any info on.

They made him smaller to allow for more detailed miniatures. The five meters difference, though, I think are just for shits and giggles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    They made him smaller to allow for more detailed miniatures. The five meters difference, though, I think are just for shits and giggles.
    Then it didn't really work. With how bad the green screen was Godzilla 2000 actually looked worse than most of the Heisei movies.

The compositing of Godzilla and miniature sets into real life footage of cities and landscapes in Godzilla 2000 is really bad. I think it may age the worst of all the special effects in the entire series! Still, the answer was right: making Godzilla 100 m tall made the construction of miniature sets very difficult as they were so small it was hard to add enough detail to make them look good on screen.

Extraordinary Member

I guess I can understand that, but it's funny that fans complained so much about the 98 Godzilla being smaller than the Heisei Godzilla when Toho's response was even smaller than the 98 Godzilla.

Well, the bad effects in "Godzilla 2000" are also because that particular movie was pretty rushed. Toho hadn't planned on doing another Godzilla movie for quite a while, and only the bad response of fans to the Emmerich movie made them quickly do one. That year, 1999, also saw the third Gamera movie by Shusuke Kaneko, presenting far superior special effects on a much smaller budget, which made Toho step up their game in subsequent Godzilla movies.

looks like the release of G vs K will be pushed up to March instead of May. Wow. Well, I hope this doesn't affect any special effects or editing.

So would there be a Kong post-credits tease at the end of the new movie?

I'm still curious as to what the conflict for G vs K will be about. And what continents this will take place in. And what possible direction the saga would go after this. (with this "realistic" take on the genre, in the aftermath of multiple kaiju brawls, entire countries could be facing economic collapse..)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Well, the bad effects in "Godzilla 2000" are also because that particular movie was pretty rushed. Toho hadn't planned on doing another Godzilla movie for quite a while, and only the bad response of fans to the Emmerich movie made them quickly do one. That year, 1999, also saw the third Gamera movie by Shusuke Kaneko, presenting far superior special effects on a much smaller budget, which made Toho step up their game in subsequent Godzilla movies.
    True. It definately comes off as rushed, and future Millennium movies, especially GMK, which was directed by the same director as the 90s Gamera. But I think Final Wars looks even worse. G-2000 had quite a few great-looking shots in addition to its many terrible-looking shots. The only good-looking special effects in Final Wars were the few close-ups of Godzilla's eyes. The whole movie looks like a Showa movie with terrible CG effects added on top of it.

I agree that Godzilla 2000 isn't the best in terms of special effects, but it's still one of my favorite movies.

Part of the reason the '90s Gamera film's look so great is a) effects director Shinji Higuchi is a genius and b) they had far more time than the compressed schedule of a Toho film of the time. There's actually less special effects in each of the three Gamera films because they concentrated on getting the shots they needed and having them look spectacular, making each film seem slicker dispute having the same budget.

While I like that .. movie makers went back to the roots of Godzilla in 2014 .... there wasn't enough of him. I'm hoping we get a whole lot more in the next film.

I like how Mothera has been redone too.

Looking forward to next picture. Feeling a little iffy for Godzilla verse King Kong though. I never liked the overgrown monkey. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Mighty Member

I still don't get the appeal of King Kong fighting Godzilla. Godzilla operates on a completely different level from King Kong. it's like comparing a 20 mm anti-tank rifle to a 16 inch battleship gun.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I still don't get the appeal of King Kong fighting Godzilla. Godzilla operates on a completely different level from King Kong. it's like comparing a 20 mm anti-tank rifle to a 16 inch battleship gun.
    I hear you, but seeing King Kong vs. Godzilla back in '72 as a 7-year old was epic!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

I just wonder if they are going to put Kong in a fireproof, anti-radiation suit. Otherwise, he is BBQ.

there will have to be some kind of conceits internal to the plot that evens things up between them, not the least of which involves the traditional size scale of both creatures.