Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 945 of 1063
  1. #931

    Default

    Ok I thought we were using spoiler tags for a reason? Kinda defeats the purpose if someone says something in spoiler tags, then someone directly responds to that person, without spoiler tags.

    Its [SPOIL ][/SPOIL ] without the space after the ]

    Trying this again: spoilers:
    I don't mind King Ghidorah being alien either, I'm saying the human characters' response [or lack thereof] to him being alien was a wtf moment for me. Same with their [lack of] response to Atlantis existing.
    end of spoilers

  2. #932
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    has there ever been a dominant aquatic Kaiju in Godzilla lore?

    I find it interesting that the King of the sea is reptile. The way Godzilla is built you'd think he'd swim more akin to an alligator or crocodile than an amphibian, but considering how he moves under water he must be amphibious and have gills somewhere. I guess Godzillas just killed off any shark or true aquatic Kaiju he's come across.

    I remember Ebirah the giant crab from that one Godzilla movie but I can't think of too many others. I know Gamera has two or 3 in that universe, but Godzilla appears to be as good if not better than any other monster.
    Manda.

    Titanosuarus.

    Kamoebas.

    All could go on land, too.

    If you count the cartoon, you got the Seaweed Monster, the Giant Squid, and the CyberWhale.

    Zone Fighter had one, forgot the name, but it ended on the land, too.

    The US cartoon for Zilla had Mutant Jellyfish, Mutant Squid, a crab T-Rex, Sub-Zero Manta (that could fly), Swamp Beast, and the giant fish Deep-Dweller.

    The Marvel comics had a few, and the Mange had a few, one that was in the issue with Sperm Godzilla.

    It is an area they could make some cool ones, IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Ok I thought we were using spoiler tags for a reason? Kinda defeats the purpose if someone says something in spoiler tags, then someone directly responds to that person, without spoiler tags.

    Its [SPOIL ][/SPOIL ] without the space after the ]

    Trying this again: spoilers:
    I don't mind King Ghidorah being alien either, I'm saying the human characters' response [or lack thereof] to him being alien was a wtf moment for me. Same with their [lack of] response to Atlantis existing.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if that Godzilla Atlantis temple is tied to aliens and that the main bad human is an alien.

    I could see him doing everything from making a clone of Monster Zero, using it to make other things like Biolante, Heborah, Space Godzilla, a Mecha, etc.

    Pretty standard G lore if you ask me.

    I also have hunch that when MechaGodzilla is introduced in this universe, he'll either be straight up good and/or like Kiru Mecha G.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-02-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  3. #933
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,559

    Default

    I feel like this movie was in many ways a Hollywood version of GMK just with Godzilla and Ghidorah's roles switched.

  4. #934
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I feel like this movie was in many ways a Hollywood version of GMK just with Godzilla and Ghidorah's roles switched.
    I thought of it as a spiritual remake of Ghidorah, the three headed monster.

  5. #935
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I thought of it as a spiritual remake of Ghidorah, the three headed monster.
    I feel this GKOTM was going for a more spiritual tone like GMK was and also trying to treat the monsters in a similar manner.

  6. #936
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I don't really want Aliens in Legendary universe either. but I like Gigan and it would be kinda hard to bring in him without explaining where his Cybernetic enhancement came from.
    As for Mecha-monsters, the skeleton found at the beginning of the first legendary Godzilla movie could be used to build Mechagodzilla, though I doubt audience will buy into that jump of technology.
    Exactly. We know Johan and his group have trafficked in Titan DNA, so the logical conclusion is that their next move may involve genetic engineering/cloning. A similar premise was the backbone of Godzilla vs Biollante. Hopefully that is what they do, because introducing Mecha-Godzilla or Mecha-King Ghidorah would be a bit much.

  7. #937
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    LOVED the movie. The most fun I've had in a movie theatre in years. So many great moments, and I loved all the callbacks to previous Godzilla films.

    Some of my favorite things about the movie:
    spoilers:

    --The Mothra twins!
    --Burning Godzilla
    --Ghidorah being an alien! Such a better origin than the dorats
    --The monsters having identifiable personalities: Godzilla being the hero of Earth, Ghidorah being a crazy despot, Mothra being a loyal protector. I freaking loved it. I thought it was great how many times Ghidorah went looking for an individual person like a villain in a slasher movie
    --The Mammoth kaiju: I know it just showed up as a cameo and didn't do much, but that idea (not to mention the visual) is just too damn cool. Was that a reference to a preexisting kaiju, or did they make that one up entirely?
    --The Ghidorah head twist at the end made me thing of Mecha King Ghidorah, but I don't know that the movies will go there. Maybe some sorta clone or hybrid?

    Perhaps more than anything, though, I like how they turned the theme of the Monsterverse on its head. Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island were very much pushing a man vs. nature narrative. People were screwing things up, and the kaiju show up as a means of defending the planet and restoring the balance (kinda like the weapons in Final Fantasy VII...who knew that I'd be able to mention Godzilla and Final Fantasy in the same sentence); however, with the reveal that the kaiju actually help replenish natural resources/life with their presence, the theme is now man and nature and how people can/should learn to coexist with nature and the kaiju. Really fascinating stuff.
    end of spoilers

    I am extremely interested in seeing how they set up a conflict with Kong and how they plan on buffing Kong to give him a fighting chance because Godzilla got some massive buffs in this film.

    I know Godzilla vs Kong will come out, but I hope WB keeps things going afterward. I need more kaiju in my life, and, with Pacific Rim falling flat on its face with Uprising, the Monsterverse looks to be the only place we'll be able to get it.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 06-03-2019 at 05:28 AM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

  8. #938
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Exactly. We know Johan and his group have trafficked in Titan DNA, so the logical conclusion is that their next move may involve genetic engineering/cloning. A similar premise was the backbone of Godzilla vs Biollante. Hopefully that is what they do, because introducing Mecha-Godzilla or Mecha-King Ghidorah would be a bit much.
    Yeah, Destoroyah and Biollante can just be shown as human mistakes growing out of control, they are products of human arrogance and sloppieness whch audience can totally believe.
    But Mechagodzilla and other monsters with insane cybernetic construction is more like a product of human wisdom and technology that is clearly too advanced to be believable in Legendary Universe.

  9. #939
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    They only have the rights to Godzilla for one more film unless Toho extends it which is doubtful. Which to me is fine. Mecha G is the only hallmark villain we won’t get. Obviously it would be nice to see Destroyah.

    Still kinda wish we got an old school solo Godzilla destroying shit

  10. #940
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yeah, Destoroyah and Biollante can just be shown as human mistakes growing out of control, they are products of human arrogance and sloppieness whch audience can totally believe.
    But Mechagodzilla and other monsters with insane cybernetic construction is more like a product of human wisdom and technology that is clearly too advanced to be believable in Legendary Universe.
    Mechagodzilla would be believable in the legendary universe. Have you seen the type of tech monarch is working with? I don't think building a mech to help out Godzilla would be out of their reach.

  11. #941
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They only have the rights to Godzilla for one more film unless Toho extends it which is doubtful. Which to me is fine. Mecha G is the only hallmark villain we won’t get. Obviously it would be nice to see Destroyah.

    Still kinda wish we got an old school solo Godzilla destroying shit
    Since legendary is going with a cinematic universe I was hoping for Mothra to get a film before Toho ends the deal.

  12. #942
    Mighty Member Angilasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They only have the rights to Godzilla for one more film unless Toho extends it which is doubtful. Which to me is fine. Mecha G is the only hallmark villain we won’t get. Obviously it would be nice to see Destroyah.

    Still kinda wish we got an old school solo Godzilla destroying shit
    Shin Godzilla delivered the classic Godzilla destruction (as well as the monster versus military stuff I've always loved) that has been largely absent from the American movies, so I was satiated on that front.

    Since these MonsterVerse films have largely just about broke even, and with this one underperforming in the box office I can see the Cinematic Universe closing out next year with its fourth film - which is fine! People are so spoiled by never-ending franchises these days: it's hard as hell to make one movie, and we're getting four! Of course, Godzilla vs. Kong could reverse that financial trajectory. Who knows? Since all the studios are in a permanent state of trying to milk as much as they can from known franchises I suppose anything could happen. Maybe they make a Godzilla streaming show for Warner Brothers streaming service?

    But whatever the case we're still going to get tons of new Godzilla films, because Godzilla is an icon of Japanese film and a mascot for Toho Studios, and Toho is the biggest film company in Japan! I feel like these Hollywood films are just a brief excursion, to be enjoyed for sure, but not a permanent arrangement. It's like Godzilla has gone to school abroad for a few years!

  13. #943
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Since legendary is going with a cinematic universe I was hoping for Mothra to get a film before Toho ends the deal.
    They had Big G for 3 films and Mother’s/Rodan/Ghidorah for one.

    My guess is Kong comes out looking strong in the vs film and he’s who they build, then they create their own Kaiju

  14. #944
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Shin Godzilla delivered the classic Godzilla destruction (as well as the monster versus military stuff I've always loved) that has been largely absent from the American movies, so I was satiated on that front.

    Since these MonsterVerse films have largely just about broke even, and with this one underperforming in the box office I can see the Cinematic Universe closing out next year with its fourth film - which is fine! People are so spoiled by never-ending franchises these days: it's hard as hell to make one movie, and we're getting four! Of course, Godzilla vs. Kong could reverse that financial trajectory. Who knows? Since all the studios are in a permanent state of trying to milk as much as they can from known franchises I suppose anything could happen. Maybe they make a Godzilla streaming show for Warner Brothers streaming service?

    But whatever the case we're still going to get tons of new Godzilla films, because Godzilla is an icon of Japanese film and a mascot for Toho Studios, and Toho is the biggest film company in Japan! I feel like these Hollywood films are just a brief excursion, to be enjoyed for sure, but not a permanent arrangement. It's like Godzilla has gone to school abroad for a few years!
    Godzilla films especailly need a break every so often. They can become extremely repetititve if they overstay their welcome. They never completely go away, because he's too big of an icon for that to ever happen... but in his case less often is more.

    I sort of liked the Heisei series, because it seemed to have a definative begining, middle, and end. And I wonder if the Legendary movies won't operate under the same premise. Like the Heisei series, there's a definate sense of continuity.

  15. #945
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,181

    Default

    I'm partial to the millennium era films. Continuity wasn't strong in them but each one was an enjoyable movie and stopped after 6 movies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •