Page 67 of 114 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1705

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Dr Ilene Chen mentions to Mark Russell that she is a third generation member of Monarch (her mother and grandmother before her.) She then shows photos of them and it is revealed that all female members of her family have had identical twins. Later on, the film goes to another Monarch Outpost where we discover another Dr Chen. Thus revealing she is a twin also.

During the conversation, one of the photos that she shows him are of her ancestors. This photo (which is blink and you'll miss it) is of the two fairies in Mothra from (1961.)

When Mothra is communicating with Godzilla, she hears it and describes it being "beautiful" whereas other just mention it being noise. So the film definitely pays homage to the Fairies and hint that Chen's family are the modern day equivalent. It is a plot point that might go over the heads of casual viewers. But as a big fan, it was one I very much appreciated.
    We do see Chen indulging a brief moment of rapport or enchantment, too. But it's also a blink-and-miss-it moment. Which was fine. I'm glad it's even there.

The other twin in named Dr. Ling, FYI.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Saw the movie twice. Loved it.

But its best to watch the movie as one big GoT Meme
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Saw it yesterday, freaking loved it. The visuals, the designs, the fights, it was immense. One of the best times I've had in the theaters ever, and my best movie of the year hands down.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    We do see Chen indulging a brief moment of rapport or enchantment, too. But it's also a blink-and-miss-it moment. Which was fine. I'm glad it's even there.
    Yeah, there are heaps of little nods like that throughout the film. Really shows that the production team respects and honours the mythology (some may say a little "too much.") I don't care, though. I loved it.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Whoa...just stumbled on this Godzilla thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Saw it yesterday, freaking loved it. The visuals, the designs, the fights, it was immense. One of the best times I've had in the theaters ever, and my best movie of the year hands down.
    Double-true!

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Yeah, there are heaps of little nods like that throughout the film. Really shows that the production team respects and honours the mythology (some may say a little "too much.") I don't care, though. I loved it.
    All intentional. Dougherty's a crazy G-fan, like me.

Well now this is interesting. The director revealed what Kong was doing during the movie with an excerpt from the novelization.

Also Godzilla vs King Kong might be moved to later in the year. Unless something big is happening in November, IMO I think they should put it there.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just got back from my second viewing with a friend (another kaiju fan) who wanted to see it with me. Both times, I greatly enjoyed it.
    Is it a great movie? By no means. But it doesn't deserve the lashing it's getting from critics. it's definitely on par, and in some ways, better than the 2014 film and that film has a higher critical rating. As a representation of this franchise, the majority of which are fun but not very good* beyond the camp value, this was a solid love letter to the Showa era especially with it being ramped up with modern special effects.

spoilers:
    The human characters were kind of broad/standard, but far from being terrible. No worse than the typical summer blockbuster, or kaiju movie in general, with the exceptions of Rick and Sam. I would have happily cut them out of the film and beefed up Dr. Graham's role instead (and spared her, he death was pointless). But I liked the Russell family, Foster and the G-Team and especially Serizawa and Chen (because she and her sister are the Shobijin!). The standard divorced family coming back together but not getting a perfect happy ending was pretty refreshing, as Emma needed to pay for her crimes but I'm glad she got a little redemption. I'd be interested to see how Mark and Madison cope with their feelings in the next film, but I'm not setting my hopes too high: it's still going to be a Summer blockbuster after all. But I overall would like to follow this cast going forward, but it only looks like Ziyi is signed up for the next one along with Brown and Chandler?

As for the REAL stars, the monsters: they were perfect. Each one had a lot of personality, and were clearly developed by people who loved the old movies. This is hands down the best King Ghidorah ever, he finally lives up to his "King of Terror" moniker. I feel like even in his debut film (the only Showa film where he isn't a mind controlled mook), possessed Venus princess was overselling him a bit since he got beaten back by three Earth monsters, one of whom was still a baby. Here, the special effects allow him to really be the apocalyptic nightmare he is meant to be. And I liked how the three heads had distinct personalities, with the left head being the "dumb" one lol.

I feel like Mothra and Rodan were a bit more superfluous to the plot, especially the latter, but I don't care because I think I loved them the most. Rodan's scene was awesome, I kind of wish he teamed up with Godzilla and Mothra against Ghidorah instead of being the latter's minion, but at least he survived to be seen again in the next film. Mothra's scenes were all amazing, in large part due to the reworking of the classic musical scores in the soundtrack. Her emergence from the cocoon was I think my favorite scene, and I like how she was given additional weapons in her arsenal like the silk spray in the adult form and the stinger. Her sacrifice was inevtiable, but so is her return since she left an egg behind. I hope we will see her in the next film and we will see her, Rodan and Godzilla for real.

They continued to double down on Heroic Godzilla, and into the credits we see news reports of him protecting humans by keeping other Titans in line, so it will be interesting to see if he's cast in a more antagonistic role in the next film when he goes up against Kong. The lost undersea kingdom he was slumbering in, along with his role as Earth's protector, does make him seem similar to the Heisei Gamera.

Tywin finding the Ghidorah head at the end is of course setting up some other threat, probably one that will unite Godzilla and Kong. Odds are it's going to be Destroyah.
    end of spoilers

*The big exceptions being, of course, the original Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, GMK, and the Heisei Gamera trilogy, plus I have a lot of affection for the weird ass Godzilla vs. Biollante. I will probably lump Shin Godzilla in with them once it's delivered to my house this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Well now this is interesting. The director revealed what Kong was doing during the movie with an excerpt from the novelization.

Also Godzilla vs King Kong might be moved to later in the year. Unless something big is happening in November, IMO I think they should put it there.
    You mean like frozen 2 maybe?�� oh, no wait- that’s this year.�� but there is a marvel movie coming out in november of next year.
    Last edited by protege; 06-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.

interesting video i just came across

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

The J-man

^^

Yeah, the '98 movie was made by two guys with no fondness for the Toho series but the cartoon spinoff had a healthy dose of Godzilla fans on staff!

By the way, has anyone posted this yet?

A salute to Haruo Nakajima using that new replica of the original 1954 Godzilla suit. The suit, which has been making promotional appearances recently, was made to star in a short film to go with the Tsuburaya museum exhibit. The short film we still haven't seen, but we get a taste of it with this commercial. It totally sells me on the fact that a man in suit movie could still work by combining it with digital effects.

The J-man