Page 65 of 114 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I loved that ORCA communication device. Wonder if it would've worked on Kong?
    It worked for those who recognize Godzilla as the Alpha as they used his frequency mixed with a human one to stabilize it. So if Kong doesn't recognize him as the Alpha, all it will do is agitate him like it did King Ghidorah.

While we are on the subject, I was surprised when Jonah's groups intentions were revealed. Because I legitimately thought that they'd use it to hold the world to ransom. Imagine having the power to direct any of the Titans to a major city.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, the design of Godzilla in the Heisei series is my favorite too. It's pretty consistant, and looks cool and edgy without looking too weird or too cheesy. When I imagine Godzilla, he looks like he does in the Heisei series.
    The Heisei films are my favourite as well. But only a few of them. My personal head canon goes 54, 85, Biollante and Destoroyah.

It is really hard to rewatch any of the Showa movies as an adult. I'll fastforeward to the monster fights, and that's about it. Loved them as a kid, but they don't age well at all.
    The Showa films need to be enjoyed for what they are - a bit of fun. But the ability of the production team to blend so many genres across multiple film is impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    While we are on the subject, I was surprised when Jonah's groups intentions were revealed. Because I legitimately thought that they'd use it to hold the world to ransom. Imagine having the power to direct any of the Titans to a major city.
    That would have ramped up the villainy ... and would have worked quite well.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

I’m assuming it’s safe, so here goes; i saw the movie last night, with some kids who felt underwhelmed by the whole thing. They complained about the monster battles vs. the human cutaway scenes, and how dark everything was, but i was fine with all of that. Madison and her dad had some cringe worthy moments, but at least the action moved quick. and for a change, I liked a lot of the humans in monarch. I particularly liked bradley whitford’s dr stanton, who didn’t have much to do, but wasn’t really a caricature at all. I would’ve liked to know more about why he joined up with monarch. the ecoterrorism plotline was annoying, because how it reflects back on current events in real life. Emma’s motivation for releasing the titans really made no sense- but at least she seemed a bit vindicated at the end.(see? I was right!) jonah, on the other hand, came across as someone with ulterior motives other than returning the planet to the stone age. I think there was something else in it for him. Then there were the monsters...
    Alas, poor mothra, we hardly knew you. I really wish someone would find a way to seriously beef up mothra, so she’s less vulnerable to fire. I wish more was done with rodan, too. The monster fights were pretty dark, but i could tell what was going on, except when mothra fought rodan. My main problem was with the sound quality; sometimes the dialogue was so faint, i couldn’t tell what was being said. One question; how did mark know it was madison who was using the orca to calm the titans? He assumed it was emma at first, but i didn’t see where he would realize otherwise. Overall though, i left feeling satisfied.
    Last edited by protege; 06-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Being a long time Godzilla fan, I will opine that this movie is terrible:

1. The plot made absolutely no sense. Some of the worst Japanese ones were more sensible.
    2. While the effect was good, as stated, the darkness of the action scenes wasted the effects. Can't American movies have action sequences that are comprehensible and visible.
    3. The involvement of the military and battle scenes were both stupid and trivial
    4. The characters were cliched and idiotic. Maniacal Genocidal Dr. Mom - if I were her husband, I would have shot her at the first meeting in the battle scene. I had NO sympathy for her and her seeming redemption.
    5. Radiation saves the world by growing giant eggplants for the poor. Oh, for God's sake.

Waste of good monsters. I can't see how the Kong flic will not suck even more. Unless some future folk upgrade Kong, he will be roast ape on a stick if there is a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    2. While the effect was good, as stated, the darkness of the action scenes wasted the effects. Can't American movies have action sequences that are comprehensible and visible.
    One of my pet peeves! So many movies do this. The Avengers (until the last one) and the Captain America movies did great jobs of daytime final battles. Most others have dark or night time scenes. It really bugs me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Some further thoughts.

Ghidorah really was perfect. There was such a sense of dread in the buildup to his awakening and then the payoff worked. His design was frightening and the animation was stellar, especially with how the heads really had different personalities. And I appreciated how he was shown to have the advantage against Godzilla on land but was completely outmatched at sea.

I didn't mind the dark fights. The monsters were so large and there were so many lights that I could always tell what was going on. Plus with Ghidorah creating a category 6 hurricane everywhere he went there was a plot reason for it. The big Rodan action scene was in the day and looked great.

Godzilla himself I thought looked better in 2014, actually, which speaks to Edwards' cinematography. There are still plenty of absolutely gorgeous shots with him, but every shot with him in 2014 was a work of art. The music made up the difference. Those updates to the classic Toho themes were great.

In terms of the dialogue, the constant use of 'Jesus' got annoying, and the talk of Godzilla getting roided was cringeworthy, but otherwise I thought the actors pulled off their dialogue just fine.

I do not understand how anyone can complain about the cuts to the humans during the fights. The fights showed plenty of monster action and plenty of sequences where there were no cuts to the humans for pretty long periods. And when those cuts did happen the humans were usually being directly threatened by the monster fight, so it wasn't just a group of people giving commentary from the sidelines like in many Toho films. In general I prefer when the human characters are in the action than watching from a nearby hilltop or on a large screen as is usually the case in most movies.

Ecoterrorist is kind of a cliche'd plot, but the Orca was actually a clever macguffin, and their role faded away once Ghidorah made his claim to kingship. They were pretty much there just to get the plot going. I completely believe that the US government would be obsessed with killing Godzilla. I don't think the plot was any more ridiculous than most previous movies, and cirtainly less so than groups like the Red Bamboo, the Kilaks and most other alien species, Bio-Major, or Saradeia, and the latter 2 come from one of my favorite movies in the franchise. Now I want to see Tywin Lannister play Ra's Al Ghul in the DCEU, since that's who he pretty much was here.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. I liked Godzilla 2014 well enough, but I found this one was a lot more entertaining. I wanted a Royal Rumble with giant monsters and walked out happy.

-The fights taking place at night and/or during storms didn't bother me at all. It'd be one thing if the scenes were poorly lit and you couldn't see what was happening, but that wasn't the case so I didn't care. Plus, it looked cool.

-King Ghidorah was a boss.

-Lots of really nice looking shots.

-Kind of surprised to see so many people on various sites complain about the lack of action. This felt like it had more monster action than most Godzilla movies.

-From the first trailer of this movie until about 15 minutes in, I thought Madison was a boy.

-I wish they would have done more with Charles Dance's character or spent more time on the Hollow Earth civilization.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. I liked Godzilla 2014 well enough, but I found this one was a lot more entertaining. I wanted a Royal Rumble with giant monsters and walked out happy.

-The fights taking place at night and/or during storms didn't bother me at all. It'd be one thing if the scenes were poorly lit and you couldn't see what was happening, but that wasn't the case so I didn't care. Plus, it looked cool.

-King Ghidorah was a boss.

-Lots of really nice looking shots.

-Kind of surprised to see so many people on various sites complain about the lack of action. This felt like it had more monster action than most Godzilla movies.

-From the first trailer of this movie until about 15 minutes in, I thought Madison was a boy.

-I wish they would have done more with Charles Dance's character or spent more time on the Hollow Earth civilization.
    I agree with all but the last 1.5 points. I knew Maddie was a girl, but I didn't think they needed to go into the Hollow Earth civilization that much. That was the one part of the movie that seemed a little too drawn out to me, and adding a buncha stuff that, while interesting, wouldn't have added to the main plot would've been a bit too much.

I agree about having more about Charles Dance's character, though. Maybe he gets more to do in Godzilla vs. Kong? If you're looking for more of Dance, he was in the last two Underworld movies (Awakening and Blood Wars), where he was good, if underdeveloped. Blood Wars is definitely the better of the two.

EDIT: Also, I love your avatar. Asura's Wrath was a great, if unconventional, game. Capcom really crapped by the bed by not doing more with that IP, but I'm also glad they didn't put him into Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite because screw Marvel/Disney and their X-Men ban.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I agree with all but the last 1.5 points. I knew Maddie was a girl, but I didn't think they needed to go into the Hollow Earth civilization that much. That was the one part of the movie that seemed a little too drawn out to me, and adding a buncha stuff that, while interesting, wouldn't have added to the main plot would've been a bit too much.

I agree about having more about Charles Dance's character, though. Maybe he gets more to do in Godzilla vs. Kong? If you're looking for more of Dance, he was in the last two Underworld movies (Awakening and Blood Wars), where he was good, if underdeveloped. Blood Wars is definitely the better of the two.

EDIT: Also, I love your avatar. Asura's Wrath was a great, if unconventional, game. Capcom really crapped by the bed by not doing more with that IP, but I'm also glad they didn't put him into Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite because screw Marvel/Disney and their X-Men ban.
    Charles dance won’t be in godzilla vs. kong.
    Last edited by protege; 06-04-2019 at 05:43 PM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Charles dance won’t be [in] godzilla vs. kong.
    He's not? That's too bad. I was hoping the stinger at the end of the credits would tie into it somehow.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So when can we talk about the movie without spoiler tags?
    l'm morbidly fascinated by what there could possibly be about a Godzilla movie that could constitute a spoiler.

Big monster fights big monster.

City suffers devastation.

Big monster wins.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    l'm morbidly fascinated by what there could possibly be about a Godzilla movie that could constitute a spoiler.

Big monster wins.
    While that's the reason why most would watch the movie there is more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Big monster wins.
    The devil is in the details. That's where the spoilers lie. Nothing ground breaking which would make or break the movie, but there's always a few people who want to be spoiler free for this stuff.

Astonishing Member

If they wanted to communicate with the kaiju, I would have preferred telepathic young Japanese women or singing little fairies. A boom box - come on. I'd bet someone would have the control sounds on phone by now.

I did like the final G vs G fight. However, bowing Rodan was a touch much. The G force and Japanese self-defense forces were so much cooler and better than the ones in the movie. Did they steal the Argo design from Shield? Kaiju poop - did they get that idea from Pacific Rim?

I also would have like the G musical themes and Mothra song to be a touch more overt. You had to strain to catch them. Nothing like the G them when he gets down to business. Should have used it more than just a small bit and then some anonymous background music that was without drama and strength.