Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Didn't like the new Godzilla movie all that much. It was more about the villains & how the world reacted to the monsters, Godzilla just sort of has this weird justification for being a territorial predator and is simply there now and then. He's a sidecharacter to the human characters and the monsters he has to fight.
Sounds like every other Godzilla movie.
Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
I just learned that Yoshimitsu Banno, the director of the otherwise forgettable Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster in 1971 (also his only Godzilla movie), returned to the franchise to become executive producer of the new movie. I love it when generations come together in movies, and that there's a link to the past behind the scenes.
That movie is fantastic! The Anime Network has been airing it non-top and Hulu has the undubbed version up now.
Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
Forgettable?? Man, that's one of my favorites! Hedorah (Smog Monster) was more than a match for Godzilla, whom without human intervention may have been killed. I can't believe how Kitamura crippled this fantastic kaiju in Final Wars. Even Kamakaris was needlessly shafted. I wish Final Wars could be forgettable, but it's so terrible in it's portrayal of Toho's greatest kaiju (and Matrix-fu), that it's forever burned in my memory.
I enjoyed Final Wars but thought Tokoyo S.O.S. was the better ending of the Millennium series. I thought Giant Monsters All-Out Attack was vastly underrated; Big G was pretty nasty in that film. I'm also one of the few that really enjoyed the Millennium series.
Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
So Banno had a hand in Legendary's Godzilla? Interesting... If it takes off, perhaps we'll see a Legendary Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, or a Toho Gojira x Hedorah...
I would expect some new take if this new film does well enough.
Quote Originally Posted by DonnyMac27 View Post
You just described quite a few of the TOHO Godzilla films. It can't be 90 mins to 2 hours of monsters fighting or destrying things. As cool as it sounds it would cause fatigue in the audience.
Final Wars has that ... so do a couple of others. The best Godzilla films intertwine both nicely.