Page 83 of 114 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1705

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Maybe now, not sure that was the case in the 1970s. Paramount was making a King Kong movie then, maybe that is why.

I can do some more sleuthing but someone with more Godzilla knowledge might know more.

Man, we need to sic Brian Cronin on this!
    Kong is in the public domain, but King Kong is not - this is because the movie isn't in public domain, but the novel based on the movie but published first is in public domain. Hence why the MonsterVerse never calls him King Kong. And they used to be very litigious over the Kong part of the name too until the 80s when they lost their lawsuit against Nintendo over Donkey Kong. Pre-Donkey Kong lawsuit era Toho, yeah makes sense they wouldn't or couldn't risk it.

^ Universal has 'majority rights' to King Kong and produced the '05 remake and has the Kong theme park attractions. Legendary/WB has licensed Kong from them.

Honestly, I think King Kong is in the public domain, but you don't want Universal on your ass demanding their cut. I think if it ever goes to court again Kong's pd status would be certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ Universal has 'majority rights' to King Kong and produced the '05 remake and has the Kong theme park attractions. Legendary/WB has licensed Kong from them.

Honestly, I think King Kong is in the public domain, but you don't want Universal on your ass demanding their cut. I think if it ever goes to court again Kong's pd status would be certified.
    That said, doesn''t the 1933 film become public domain in like a decade anyways? I honestly don't ever see this going to court - I see it just getting waited out since the expiration is so close anyways.

^ I don't know when or if WB's rights to the original film will expire because copyright seems practically to have been extended indefinitely thanks to lobbying from corporations not eager to loose their ip (like Micky).

Weird thing is, Uni had legal right to make a King Kong movie in '05, but because Jackson wanted to use some specific things from the '33 film (like music and specific visuals) those had to be licensed from WB, who own that movie but not the rights to Kong. Crazy thing is, even though WB co-produced Skull Island with Legendary they were operating within the rights licensed by Universal, so at least one specific '33 movie reference was cut from that film even though the rights are owned by the film's producers!

Seeing a rumor that spoilers:
    Rodan is in the movie, tearing up an APEX facility when "Godzilla" shows up and rips him in half.
    end of spoilers

Which begins the trek of Millie's character trying to figure out what is wrong with Godzilla.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I kinda wonder if every time spoilers:
    Kong gets the better of Godzilla it will be Mecha Godzilla in disguise, and every time Godzilla gets the better of Kong it will really be Godzilla
    end of spoilers?

The subs vs. dubs debate resurfaces here and there every now and then and, while I generally prefer subtitles when sitting down to focus on a film, dubs can't be beat when you just want a movie on as background.

This thought brought to you by my making a pie while The Return of Godzilla (English dub) plays in the background.

Recently saw a bit about how dub availability should be standard just on the virtue of dyslexia and other disabilities making subtitles very difficult for some to follow - a good point!

Astonishing Member

Godzilla vs Kong needs to hurry up and get here before everything gets spoiled. Really excited for the movie but getting hard to avoid spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Godzilla vs Kong needs to hurry up and get here before everything gets spoiled. Really excited for the movie but getting hard to avoid spoilers.
    The recent trailers and commercials have me avoiding all ads now!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I've avoided everything but the first trailer (which I only watched twice). I'm good!

Have I mentioned that in Japan the 1995 - 1999 Gamera trilogy is being re-released in Japanese theaters? Coinciding with the 4K release - and Bandai is putting out new toys specific to those movies. I really, really hope that the studio is testing the waters for an all-new Gamera... something! Movie, series, anime, whatever!

I've avoided everything but the first trailer (which I only watched twice). I'm good!

Have I mentioned that in Japan the 1995 - 1999 Gamera trilogy is being re-released in Japanese theaters? Coinciding with the 4K release - and Bandai is putting out new toys specific to those movies. I really, really hope that the studio is testing the waters for an all-new Gamera... something! Movie, series, anime, whatever!
    They just did something with Super Sentai for 45.

Gamera might be on the horizon.

Any big anniversaries with Gamera coming up?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-24-2021 at 01:52 PM.

^ This is all being promoted under the Gamera 55th Anniversary banner.

^ This is all being promoted under the Gamera 55th Anniversary banner.
    Well ... There you go!

God I wish. I'm still a little disappointed nothing came of that really cool short back in 2015. I just got the new blu-ray collection of the trilogy + the Brave.

New Japanese Trailer for Singular Point!

Anguirus! Baragon! Baron!? Gabara! Rodans ... !? Manda! Maybe Titanosaurus! Gigan! Kumonga! Megalons ... !? Hedorah! More Gigans!?

And of course ... a better look a Jet Jaguar (who looks to be piloted, getting upgrades this time, before he gets his AI which is alluded to in the synopsis) and the Big G in action with some new powers apparently!?

Also the tiny flower is called out as a prototype and it is shown bigger later in the trailer. Makes me wonder if they're setting up Biolante?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-12-2021 at 02:52 PM.