Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
Not sure why the '98 Godzilla has gotten so much scorn/derision/hatred over the years. It's the only Godzilla movie I've sat all the way through, and I felt the lizard-like, sinewy Godzilla in this was much more menacing than the old rotund Godzilla from the original movies. The effects were decent (for a late '90's film), and I liked the numerous "baby" Godzillas that hatched in Madison Square Garden, who were much smaller but also extremely dangerous/menacing.

The very ending definitely opened the door for a sequel, but I'm guessing the film didn't do well enough at the box office to warrant a second movie...

I also liked Cloverfield & Monsters, so I may be in the minority re: my opinion on these modern monster films...

For some reason, I don't have a lot of interest in seeing Godzilla 2014; the trailers look impressive, but I don't like the way Godzilla looks - kind of like a large snapping turtle..but then, I didn't think the original Godzilla looked that great, and this appears to be based on this version.....
It had a lot more to do with it being a huge Jurassic Park ripoff and having very little thematically in common with Godzilla. It wasn't a bad film. Just wasn't Godzilla.

Godzilla's also about this menacing almost force of nature that is unstoppable. If he's the antagonist in the film he should be wiping out the city, demolishing everything, using his atomic breath to set the world ablaze, everything in his path completely annihilated. It should take near an act of god to stop him. Godzilla's a monster, not a dinosaur.