Page 15 of 114 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Not sure why the '98 Godzilla has gotten so much scorn/derision/hatred over the years. It's the only Godzilla movie I've sat all the way through, and I felt the lizard-like, sinewy Godzilla in this was much more menacing than the old rotund Godzilla from the original movies. The effects were decent (for a late '90's film), and I liked the numerous "baby" Godzillas that hatched in Madison Square Garden, who were much smaller but also extremely dangerous/menacing.

The very ending definitely opened the door for a sequel, but I'm guessing the film didn't do well enough at the box office to warrant a second movie...

I also liked Cloverfield & Monsters, so I may be in the minority re: my opinion on these modern monster films...

For some reason, I don't have a lot of interest in seeing Godzilla 2014; the trailers look impressive, but I don't like the way Godzilla looks - kind of like a large snapping turtle..but then, I didn't think the original Godzilla looked that great, and this appears to be based on this version.....
    It had a lot more to do with it being a huge Jurassic Park ripoff and having very little thematically in common with Godzilla. It wasn't a bad film. Just wasn't Godzilla.

Godzilla's also about this menacing almost force of nature that is unstoppable. If he's the antagonist in the film he should be wiping out the city, demolishing everything, using his atomic breath to set the world ablaze, everything in his path completely annihilated. It should take near an act of god to stop him. Godzilla's a monster, not a dinosaur.

BANNED

I like the 98 film as a disaster movie, not really Godzilla

Mighty Member

It was lots of fun. Marvel even collected all twenty-four original issues into an ESSENTIALS collection back in 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    How about Red Ronin and the Mega Monsters instead?

Salt Lake City doesn't usually get attacked by giant kaiju, but when it does, FIVE come at the same time!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Seeing this image makes me wish that Marvel would release the 20 issues of Shogun Warriors in a collection. I loved that comic as a kid.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Seeing this image makes me wish that Marvel would release the 20 issues of Shogun Warriors in a collection. I loved that comic as a kid.
    I would so buy a SHOGUN WARRIORS collection.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

What are some of your most memorable bizarre/quirky/etc moments not involving the Big G in the Godzilla franchise?

For me, there's the New York scene in Final Wars as well as the scene in Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster with the fishhead people in the disco.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 05-30-2014 at 09:37 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    What are some of your most memorable bizarre/quirky/etc moments not involving the Big G in the Godzilla franchise?
    This would qualify:

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    It had a lot more to do with it being a huge Jurassic Park ripoff and having very little thematically in common with Godzilla. It wasn't a bad film. Just wasn't Godzilla.

Godzilla's also about this menacing almost force of nature that is unstoppable. If he's the antagonist in the film he should be wiping out the city, demolishing everything, using his atomic breath to set the world ablaze, everything in his path completely annihilated. It should take near an act of god to stop him. Godzilla's a monster, not a dinosaur.

i heard they tried to remake The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms but couldn't get the money so they used the name Godzilla. no sure if true though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post

It's a bad movie. Really bad characters, really bad acting, a stupid story where the military is a bigger threat with conventional weapons than Godzilla because they're unbelievably inept, Godzilla 'hiding' in the middle of New York, ect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It's a bad movie. Really bad characters, really bad acting, a stupid story where the military is a bigger threat with conventional weapons than Godzilla because they're unbelievably inept, Godzilla 'hiding' in the middle of New York, ect.
    I never understood how you can't find a giant lizard in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Not sure why the '98 Godzilla has gotten so much scorn/derision/hatred over the years. It's the only Godzilla movie I've sat all the way through, and I felt the lizard-like, sinewy Godzilla in this was much more menacing than the old rotund Godzilla from the original movies. The effects were decent (for a late '90's film), and I liked the numerous "baby" Godzillas that hatched in Madison Square Garden, who were much smaller but also extremely dangerous/menacing.
    You've never seen Godzilla vs. Destoroyah from start to finish? Try that one. The '98 film really does view like a remake of something else. The "Baby Zillas" sequence was a tremendous embarrassment.

I finally was able to watch Godzilla:Final Wars today. Holy ****, that was the most ridiculously awesome movie I've watched since Sharknado. It did have some pacing problems in places and a few plot holes , but the action scenes were damn fun.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 06-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I finally was able to watch Godzilla:Final Wars today. Holy ****, that was the most ridiculously awesome movie I've watched since Sharknado. It did have some pacing problems in places and a few plot holes , but the action scenes were damn fun.
    While I Felt Indeed the Alien-Humanoid Villains where more over the Top Goofy then usually indeed, Godzilla IMO in Final Wars was the Most Awesome I have Ever Seen him in a Movie, he OWNED Each and Every Monster he Fought, in other words, he was the BOSS of the Movie, More then Normal and that is saying something!

He was Faster, Smarter, More Clever and used his Fire Breath Much more often to good use, Godzilla in Final Wars was just Big-G at his Best IMO!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!