Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I prefer the Monsterverse to what Toho has recently done, which is to remove any semblance of personality from Godzilla and make a bunch of lifeless human characters. I don't get the love for Shin Godzilla

Is SP a massive departure from the norm for Godzilla? Because I hear a lot of the events causing the daikaiju aren't really at all like what created them in previous films
MonsterVerse can't decide on one personality for their Godzilla - is he heroic? An animal running on instincts? A vicious gorilla hating bastard? Depends entirely on which MV film you're watching because each director throws out the last film's characterization to make their own Godzilla. As for Shin, it's got a good story, an interesting style, a mature tone, something to say, and is clearly a passion project and a director's vision. GvK has...fights. Just fights. And in my opinion the worst story of any G film I've seen, and yes I'm including films like All Monsters Attack and vs SpaceGodzilla and vs Megalon and so forth in this estimation. That's not an attack on people who hate Shin or love GvK, that's just my opinion on the films themselves. I hate GvK, I regret watching it, and it turned me away from ever watching another Monsterverse film going forward. It's not something I'm interested in debating, I get people have this need to defend the films they like when someone doesn't like them, but there's just no point to it really, I can't be convinced that it wasn't the worst experience I've ever had watching a movie with Godzilla in it - for me, it was that experience. It was that bad. Movies have bored me in the past, but this was the first to ever leave me feeling genuine anger over what I watched.

As for SP, kind of yes and kind of no. It's hard to explain without giving away spoilers - I'd recommend just watching it. It's not great, it's not the worst, from what I gather most people just kind of find it somewhere in the middle - I thought it was "kind of good" and others "kind of" bad, but no one seems to have particularly strong feelings over it, so you're not likely to hate it. Best case scenario you kind of enjoy it like I did despite some flaws (most glaring - a real lack of scenes with Godzilla) or you'll dislike it somewhat. Either way you're not risking much giving it a go.