Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1705

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    He's Godzilla. He fights other monsters for no obvious reason all the time. Besides, he's way more powerful than Kong. I think him winning makes sense
    I enjoyed how, even though Godzilla is still basically a good guy in the movie, he gets to play up being the villain in the narrative. I like Godzilla to have a mean streak. Glad he's an apocalyptic baddie in Singular Point.

In other kaiju news: Kadokawa (which absorbed Daiei films almost two decades ago) is making a new Yokai movie and they're breaking out an extra special guest kaiju from Daiei's vaults: Daimajin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I enjoyed how, even though Godzilla is still basically a good guy in the movie, he gets to play up being the villain in the narrative. I like Godzilla to have a mean streak. Glad he's an apocalyptic baddie in Singular Point.

In other kaiju news: Kadokawa (which absorbed Daiei films almost two decades ago) is making a new Yokai movie and they're breaking out an extra special guest kaiju from Daiei's vaults: Daimajin!

That was one of the things I found questionable about GvK tbh. Villainizing him after 2 movies of hero Godzilla seemed odd to me

Idk much about this Yokai series, but it's technically unrelated to Daimaijin, right?

^ The Yokai movies shared some staff and cast with the Daimajin movies back on the day, but weren't related in any other way besides both being franchises rooted in Japanese folklore.

Ultimate Member

^ The Yokai movies shared some staff and cast with the Daimajin movies back on the day, but weren't related in any other way besides both being franchises rooted in Japanese folklore.
    Ok. Is this movie oriented towards kids?

^ Yes, like the previous Yokai movie (from 2005) its a kids fantasy movie - both directed by the somewhat infamous Takeshi Miike, who's known in the West for violent and disturbing films like Audition and Ichi the Killer, but he makes family movies, too!

Miike was going to make a new Daimajin film around '07 - '08, but after the box office failure of Gamera the Brave Kadokawa pumped the breaks on their reboots of old Daiei fantasy films. Seems Miike is smuggling the Majin in here to make up for it.

Ultimate Member

^ Yes, like the previous Yokai movie (from 2005) its a kids fantasy movie - both directed by the somewhat infamous Takeshi Miike, who's known in the West for violent and disturbing films like Audition and Ichi the Killer, but he makes family movies, too!

Miike was going to make a new Daimajin film around '07 - '08, but after the box office failure of Gamera the Brave Kadokawa pumped the breaks on their reboots of old Daiei fantasy films. Seems Miike is smuggling the Majin in here to make up for it.
    Didn't Gamera the Brave fail because it was too childish? I didn't like it that much. Tbh I'm not huge on daikaiju movies being changed up to appeal to kids, even when I was one.

Anyway, I didn't know anyone tried to make a new Daimajin back then. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Daimajin movie.

Idk if I've seen any of this guy's movies. Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    maybe Legendary did that so maybe Toho would take it easy on them on the next set of licenses since they are sure they will do right by Godzilla. If Kong jobbing gets me more American made Godzilla films then I am glad that Kong took that L.
    I don't think Kong jobbed - I just don't like when the villain wins, and Godzilla was the villain. MechaG didn't try to murderize Kong for the lulz.

And why would Toho care - they loved the previous films.

He's Godzilla. He fights other monsters for no obvious reason all the time. Besides, he's way more powerful than Kong. I think him winning makes sense
    No he doesn't? Whether hero or villain the majority of films either establish a motive or it's part of his character depiction of the time. Here it's just out of nowhere and doesn't jive with his previous characterization from the last two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    The movie brought up a couple of times ancient rivalries and the beginning of the movie included basically a vs tournament recap. It might be worth looking into later. Or not at all and just fight common enemies from now on.
    Frankly "ancient rivalry" is nothing more than a hand waving plea to not think about it or ask questions. It's never explained, they never go into it, it's just a short cut to not have to explain it.

And I pray, personally, that the two never share a screen again until long after Legendary is through.

Holy cow! Daimajin! I love his films! This is awesome!

Astonishing Member

Oh I meant that Toho wouldn't want you using the license they gave you to diminish their property, but instead Legendary actually put G over. I think since they had more control over the Kong property didn't mind him jobbing to G, because in exchange for that he got the sympathetic hero treatment, more storyline, got to take out the bad guy "boss" of the movie and a leadup to his next sequel. G to to remain the current and defending King of the monsters, which is all he (and Toho) care about.

Oh I meant that Toho wouldn't want you using the license they gave you to diminish their property, but instead Legendary actually put G over. I think since they had more control over the Kong property didn't mind him jobbing to G, because in exchange for that he got the sympathetic hero treatment, more storyline, got to take out the bad guy "boss" of the movie and a leadup to his next sequel. G to to remain the current and defending King of the monsters, which is all he (and Toho) care about.
    Again, Kong didn't job to Godzilla, I have nothing against Godzilla "winning" but if that was the plan they shouldn't have made him such an ass!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Again, Kong didn't job to Godzilla, I have nothing against Godzilla "winning" but if that was the plan they shouldn't have made him such an ass!
    G still sore about that 1962 foolishness, he holds a grudge, electricity indeed.

Mighty Member

G still sore about that 1962 foolishness, he holds a grudge, electricity indeed.
    Every Godzilla fan I have met in real life does too.

Ultimate Member

You mean losing to Kong because Kong was more popular then?

Astonishing Member

You mean losing to Kong because Kong was more popular then?
    Nah because it was so purely contrived. If Kong won because of intelligence, ok but that crap was insulting to both G and Kong fanbases.

Ultimate Member

Nah because it was so purely contrived. If Kong won because of intelligence, ok but that crap was insulting to both G and Kong fanbases.
    Yeah, it didn't make sense to me. I don't think Kong can ever beat Godzilla alone.