Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
Shin Godzilla delivered the classic Godzilla destruction (as well as the monster versus military stuff I've always loved) that has been largely absent from the American movies, so I was satiated on that front.

Since these MonsterVerse films have largely just about broke even, and with this one underperforming in the box office I can see the Cinematic Universe closing out next year with its fourth film - which is fine! People are so spoiled by never-ending franchises these days: it's hard as hell to make one movie, and we're getting four! Of course, Godzilla vs. Kong could reverse that financial trajectory. Who knows? Since all the studios are in a permanent state of trying to milk as much as they can from known franchises I suppose anything could happen. Maybe they make a Godzilla streaming show for Warner Brothers streaming service?

But whatever the case we're still going to get tons of new Godzilla films, because Godzilla is an icon of Japanese film and a mascot for Toho Studios, and Toho is the biggest film company in Japan! I feel like these Hollywood films are just a brief excursion, to be enjoyed for sure, but not a permanent arrangement. It's like Godzilla has gone to school abroad for a few years!
Shin Godzilla is the only one that quality wise probably touches the original Gojira