Page 100 of 114 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1705

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's fine. Maybe some of the upcoming movies will be more to your liking. 2022 seems like it'll be a big year. Meanwhile, I'll avoid taking things too seriously
    Just because I wound up hating the movie as imo the worst Godzilla movie ever doesn't mean I take things to seriously. After King of the Monsters I knew it was never going to be a well made film, so my expectations were pretty low. I went in expecting a forgettable, disposable, MCU-lite dumb popcorn movie. It's just that even with those low expectations expecting it to be dumb it failed for me - it was too dumb, on a level I wasn't prepared for. I wish it had been only twice as dumb as I thought it would be, but it easily felt like five times that watching it. Of course opinions may vary, but mine...I might not take these movies that seriously, but Jesus H. Christ...made King of the Monsters feel like The Dark Knight by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BChristgau View Post
    I,for one, absolutely loved GAMERA THE BRAVE. I think there's something really special about the franchise when it went through its children's film phase. The Japanese understand that kids like their fairy tales to be a little dark and there are moments of genuine horror and menace in those movies. As much as I enjoyed the previous trilogy, I found GAMERA THE BRAVE a return to those glory days.
    While I wouldn't call the Showa era the glory days, I agree on Gamera: The Brave. To me it was basically what I wish the Showa era had been. It was "The Friend of All Children" done right for the first time. I know that to a lot of fans anything that harkens to that childish era is automatically crap, but that's just a damn shame. The Brave is easily equal to the first two of the Heisei trilogy, and better than the third (Revenge of Iris is a lot of fans favorite, but I find it a convoluted mess and the low bar of the trilogy personally).

That's fine, but I'd hardly call that his glory days. Those films were rather shoddy and juvenile, compared to the Heisei.
    Yes, but The Brave takes their concept and makes it work perfectly.

Ultimate Member

I didn't totally hate GtB as much as the Showa movies post-Barugon, but Idk if I'd say it worked perfectly

I didn't totally hate GtB as much as the Showa movies post-Barugon, but Idk if I'd say it worked perfectly
    To each their own - to me, it was easily equal in quality to the Heisei trilogy while doing something completely different, and while it had a few flaws so did those movies. It worked for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    To each their own - to me, it was easily equal in quality to the Heisei trilogy while doing something completely different, and while it had a few flaws so did those movies. It worked for me.
    I guess the child-oriented nature of the movie doesn't do it for me. IMO the only good thing was Zedus (or Jidas?), even if he comes off as a jab at Godzilla. Revenge for Kameba in Tokyo SOS, I guess

I guess the child-oriented nature of the movie doesn't do it for me. IMO the only good thing was Zedus (or Jidas?), even if he comes off as a jab at Godzilla. Revenge for Kameba in Tokyo SOS, I guess
    I don't think he was very Godzilla-like to me, but each their own. And I don't mind it being child-oriented as long as it is good, done well, and not dumbed down. And The Brave was done well and not dumbed down. I think some people just think child oriented is the same as childish, and it it's not quite fair.

Ultimate Member

I don't think he was very Godzilla-like to me, but each their own. And I don't mind it being child-oriented as long as it is good, done well, and not dumbed down. And The Brave was done well and not dumbed down. I think some people just think child oriented is the same as childish, and it it's not quite fair.
    Child-oriented doesn't have to be bad, but it can feel awkward to watch for me sometimes.

I though Zedus was more like a Godzilla monster, but that's just me.

Incredible Member

Short fan film featuring the monster throw down between Godzilla and his other big rival. Gamera.

Ultimate Member

Will we ever see a GvG movie?

Will we ever see a GvG movie?
    I kind of hope not - I'm tired with modern culture's obsession with crossovers.

Ultimate Member

I kind of hope not - I'm tired with modern culture's obsession with crossovers.
    Crossovers have existed for decades. They're just successful now. But how often is there actually a crossover between two totally separate IPs? What does it matter as long as it's good?

Crossovers have existed for decades. They're just successful now. But how often is there actually a crossover between two totally separate IPs? What does it matter as long as it's good?
    That's the thing though - they usually aren't that good, we've had more this past decade then ever before, fans often just devolve into crossover hopes over merely wanting good movies, and while you might never grow tired of it I have. Just let Gamera stand on his on in his own darn movie. I don't want a Godzilla vs Gamera movie that's likely to give as much thought to storytelling as GvK. Just let Gamera do his own thing.

Ultimate Member

That's the thing though - they usually aren't that good, we've had more this past decade then ever before, fans often just devolve into crossover hopes over merely wanting good movies, and while you might never grow tired of it I have. Just let Gamera stand on his on in his own darn movie. I don't want a Godzilla vs Gamera movie that's likely to give as much thought to storytelling as GvK. Just let Gamera do his own thing.
    I mean, if you think it won't work, that's fine. I'm not so totally sold on it myself. But I don't think crossovers are somehow making things worse. Bad movies always existed, even in franchises.

I mean, if you think it won't work, that's fine. I'm not so totally sold on it myself. But I don't think crossovers are somehow making things worse. Bad movies always existed, even in franchises.
    Did I say they make things worse? I did not. I said I was tired of how modern fandoms have become so strangely fixated on them.

Ultimate Member

Did I say they make things worse? I did not. I said I was tired of how modern fandoms have become so strangely fixated on them.
    Ok, but that's the fandoms. That doesn't necessarily affect the movies. Personally I haven't seen fandoms be greatly fixated on them anyway

Ok, but that's the fandoms. That doesn't necessarily affect the movies. Personally I haven't seen fandoms be greatly fixated on them anyway
    I have. And I'd rather they just stay separate.