Page 1 of 114 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Default All Things Godzilla

I liked when he was friends with Mothra and Mothra had babies. I think that was Godzilla Jr., though.

The Blu-Ray sets of all the 1965-1980 Gamera movies just came out. I'm gonna try to watch 'em all in the next few days... wish me luck! I'll need it!

I actually don't hate the old Gamera films. I can enjoy silliness, but in making these movies so simple for little kids I've always felt like they have a lot of filler and redundancy built in so that kids can easily (re: slowly) follow the simple plot. They feel like an hour and a half of movie and 45 minutes of actual content, you know?

Quite exciting, all the kaiju stuff because of the release of the new Godzilla. This month Nashville's Bellcourt Theater will be showing the '54 Godzilla, '61 Mothra, '33 King Kong, and King Kong vs. Godzilla. I plan on taking the multi-hour trek to see at least a couple of those. There are similar showings occurring at art house and revival theaters across the country, with the original Godzilla especially. It's actually going back into limited release. Check your local theaters!

Heh Gamera. Funny you should mention him, I just bought the Mystery Science Theater Gamera dvds off Amazon. The did the first 5 movies and have been really fun so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGRHqvC7f_o

Gamera! Gamera!
    Gamera is really neat!
    Gamera is filled with meat!
    We've been eating Gamera!
    Shell!
    Teeth!
    Eyes!
    Flames!
    Claws!
    Breath!
    Scales!
    Fun!!
    Last edited by Hamdinger; 04-30-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I'm hoping that this is the start of a new era of kaiju films. I'd really love to see some new movies from Toho. My favorite Ishirō Honda movie is probably the 1956 film Rodan. A vast improvement from the special effects in the original Gojira.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Honest Trailers - Godzilla (1998)

looking back, it was truly a piece of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    I'm hoping that this is the start of a new era of kaiju films. I'd really love to see some new movies from Toho. My favorite Ishirō Honda movie is probably the 1956 film Rodan. A vast improvement from the special effects in the original Gojira.
    Mothra is my favorite of these films, even over the original Godzilla. My ten favorite giant monster flicks from Japan are probably (in no real order) ...

Godzilla '54
    Mothra vs. Godzilla
    Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
    Monster Zero
    Mothra
    Rodan
    King Kong Escapes
    Gamera 2: Advent of Legion
    Daimajin
    and Yokai Daisenso '69 (kinda cheating to include this one, as this film is actually about folkloric monsters of vaguely human size, but in the finale the baddie grows to giant proportion)

On the non-giant front, I love Ishiro Honda's three 'human transformation' films: H-Man, Human Vapor, and Matango. I also like Atragon a lot, which has a giant creature for marquee value, but it's really an afterthought.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Didn't like the new Godzilla movie all that much. It was more about the villains & how the world reacted to the monsters, Godzilla just sort of has this weird justification for being a territorial predator and is simply there now and then. He's a sidecharacter to the human characters and the monsters he has to fight.

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

I'm just not sure if I want to see the new film. It looks enjoyable enough, but.....

I REALLY hated Monsters!

I just learned that Yoshimitsu Banno, the director of the otherwise forgettable Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster in 1971 (also his only Godzilla movie), returned to the franchise to become executive producer of the new movie. I love it when generations come together in movies, and that there's a link to the past behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

Doesn't really require "looking back". It was always such a shameless Jurassic Park rip-off without any spark of its own. Not only was it a derivative, bombastic mess, it was a BORING derivative, bombastic mess.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I just learned that Yoshimitsu Banno, the director of the otherwise forgettable Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster in 1971 (also his only Godzilla movie), returned to the franchise to become executive producer of the new movie.
    Forgettable?? Man, that's one of my favorites! Hedorah (Smog Monster) was more than a match for Godzilla, whom without human intervention may have been killed. I can't believe how Kitamura crippled this fantastic kaiju in Final Wars. Even Kamakaris was needlessly shafted. I wish Final Wars could be forgettable, but it's so terrible in it's portrayal of Toho's greatest kaiju (and Matrix-fu), that it's forever burned in my memory.

So Banno had a hand in Legendary's Godzilla? Interesting... If it takes off, perhaps we'll see a Legendary Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, or a Toho Gojira x Hedorah...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Didn't like the new Godzilla movie all that much. It was more about the villains & how the world reacted to the monsters, Godzilla just sort of has this weird justification for being a territorial predator and is simply there now and then. He's a sidecharacter to the human characters and the monsters he has to fight.
    You just described quite a few of the TOHO Godzilla films. It can't be 90 mins to 2 hours of monsters fighting or destrying things. As cool as it sounds it would cause fatigue in the audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

I really wanted to like it...and it works as a disaster movie

but not Godzilla

Hank Azaria was funny