Page 106 of 114 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1705
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Shin Godzilla but a period piece (basically a remake of OG!Godzilla)?
    That's what I got out of it.

At the end of Shin spoilers:
    Shin Godzilla looked it it was ready to evolve again (humanoid creatures from the tail)
    end of spoilers

This version looks like the OG with a scary modern makeover and even the plot mirrors the OG's. Personally I'd rather see this Minus One Movie than a true Shin Sequel
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 07-12-2023 at 05:06 AM.

I'm totally fine with all of Anno/Higuchi's Shin films being standalone. Godzilla and Ultraman felt so self contained and complete, and satisfyingly so - only Shin Kamen Rider left of with me wanting to see a sequel to see where it went.

This looks really good. Much better than any of the American G movies, as Shin was. I also would love a Shin G sequel. Glad it will be in theaters here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Definetly looks a lot like the 90's Godzilla design although with the proportions a bit more like the 50s-70s version (and less of the 'muppet' look it sometimes had).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So Shin Godzilla but a period piece (basically a remake of OG!Godzilla)?
    In what way? The design isn't really like Shin at all that I can see, and the snippets of scenes we saw aren't specifically "Shin-y" that I can tell, so curious what you mean about it being like Shin Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Personally I'd rather see this Minus One Movie than a true Shin Sequel
    Personally I'd rather have both this and a true Shin sequel. I never understood the argument that Shin was so "complete" or whatever that it shouldn't have a sequel - so many interesting ways it could've gone for a second film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This looks really good. Much better than any of the American G movies, as Shin was. I also would love a Shin G sequel. Glad it will be in theaters here.
    Agreed. The American films have been a disappointment to me, so much so that I've given up on them and will not be watching the newest one or any other ones going forward. Honestly I personally hated my time watching GvK so freaking much I never want to risk exposing myself to that level of "film-making" again, so it's good not to be completely out of new Godzilla content that I can still watch and enjoy. Now if some other company outside of Legendary can start making quality Kong films all will be well.

(As my avatar shows I did love the 2014 solo film, the last two broke any hopes I had after that promising start)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Definetly looks a lot like the 90's Godzilla design although with the proportions a bit more like the 50s-70s version (and less of the 'muppet' look it sometimes had).
    I think it looks like the Godzilla from the new ride in Japan, a little different but mostly like the ride. Which is great because I've wanted to see that version in a film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    In what way? The design isn't really like Shin at all that I can see, and the snippets of scenes we saw aren't specifically "Shin-y" that I can tell, so curious what you mean about it being like Shin Godzilla.
    I think the snippets were pretty in-line with Shin in terms of capturing the utter terror of the populace like the first Shin trailer and just the "back-to-basics" approach of Godzilla with modern trappings and CG.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This Minus One film does look mighty interesting. I suspect it will get compared a lot to Shin. Shin was a film I resisted seeing for a bit, but it's actually really good, really clever and thoughtful. (hopefully, this is no way forecloses a possible Shin sequel)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I think the snippets were pretty in-line with Shin in terms of capturing the utter terror of the populace like the first Shin trailer and just the "back-to-basics" approach of Godzilla with modern trappings and CG.
    Ah, I can see that comparison, thanks for clarifying that!

Ultimate Member

I love the look of Godzilla Minus One.

Although that could be my personal bias because I love when the character is depicted as a pure, monstrous force of nature.

Now if some other company outside of Legendary can start making quality Kong films all will be well.
    But Skull Island was very, very good. I don't know how they made that gem and then the Godzilla movies sucked so much?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But Skull Island was very, very good. I don't know how they made that gem and then the Godzilla movies sucked so much?
    Godzilla vs Kong is my least liked of all Godzilla or King Kong movies - so much my least liked that it is the only film of either franchise I can truly say I hate, and I hate it to the point that I will not watch another of Legendary's films in this franchise going forward, especially as it seems the film that I hated was their most successful to such a point it seems likely that GxK will be a similar movie. So I've no interest in their Kong anymore, which means that I can only hope someone else either gets the film rights or goes with the public domain aspect of the novel or something so I can watch a new King Kong movie again. At least Toho exists to make Godzilla films outside of the playbox Legendary ruined for me.

But agreed - Skull Island was very good, and Godzilla (2014) is in my top 5 favorite Godzilla movies. The MonsterVerse had a promising, wonderful start in my view, but somehow they went all to **** after that.

I think it looks like the Godzilla from the new ride in Japan, a little different but mostly like the ride. Which is great because I've wanted to see that version in a film.
    That's because the ride was also directed by Yamazaki! He's been working on this design for a while. There's a bunch of tweaks you'll notice if you put this and the ride designs side by side, but they're definitely part of the same design process.

Incredible Member

Since this is set right after the war, I'm wondering if it's going to be the new Gojira and be a launching point for a series of movies. I could be interesting if they make each sequel set 10 years or so after the previous one and mirror whatever movie came out in that time period.

I am going to complain about the size of his head. It look disproportionately small to his body, not as bad as Legendary's but still small.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    That's because the ride was also directed by Yamazaki! He's been working on this design for a while. There's a bunch of tweaks you'll notice if you put this and the ride designs side by side, but they're definitely part of the same design process.
    Yamazaki also had Godzilla as part of a dream or daydream sequence in another movie, so technically it's his 3rd design now too!

^ Yeah, the dream sequence he put in a movie almost two decades ago looks like a pilot for this movie; vaguely similar design, postwar setting. This guy has been unwavering in his dream Godzilla movie and has been working towards it... his whole career?