Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

How many times has Mecha G ended a Godzilla continuity? 2? 3?

Showa and S.O.S. millenium is what I remember? Didn't he end one in the 90s, too?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Apparently, the Godzilla vs. Gryphon script, based on various sources I searched up, was written by Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott who have written Aladdin and the PoTC movies amongst other thing.

This is apparently a summary of what the plot would've been: http://www.kaijuphile.com/rodansroos...sgryphon.shtml
    The story is okay (and the Gryphon's design is "meh," but it was a substitute for one of the classic monsters for which Toho wanted more money for), but this right here, this is the best part:

The Gryphon rises into the sky and then power dives at Godzilla. Godzilla waits until the last moment and then leans forward. The Gryphon is sliced in half as its body connects with Godzilla's dorsal plates, so great was the beast's velocity. Godzilla rips the head from the alien monster and sets fire to the body.
    THAT would look incredible onscreen. The theater would go apeshit! I'm surprised this hasn't been done. Maybe we'll see some crazy fights in the next two films.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    How many times has Mecha G ended a Godzilla continuity? 2? 3?

Showa and S.O.S. millenium is what I remember? Didn't he end one in the 90s, too?
    I think the Showa era was the only Godzilla series that ended with a Mecha G film.

BANNED

I'm more partial to King Ghidorah. To me he's Godzilla's main baddie and the one monster that he usually can't take down on his own. If the new American series ever brings him out of the bag I would mark out.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I'm more partial to King Ghidorah. To me he's Godzilla's main baddie and the one monster that he usually can't take down on his own. If the new American series ever brings him out of the bag I would mark out.
    I hope they bring Ghidorah into the new trilogy. With the FX palette the studio wields, he'll be utterly amazing so long as they don't radically alter his appearance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I can easily see them using Ghidorah with dragons being popular right now from Game of Thrones and Desolation of Smaug.

Godbear gave me this name SpyrabKiller's Avatar
    In your head, on the TV Screen, hey buddy I'm warning you to turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^The term 'Godzillasaurus' is itself a retcon from '91 and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, where Godzilla was seen to be a smaller, more scientifically accurate looking dinosaur on a Pacific island before his atomic mutation. In the original film Godzilla was basically still Godzilla before the H-Bomb, which destroyed his deep sea habitat, gave him his atomic breath, and burned his flesh (his distinctive, barky skin is meant to be scarring).
    I'm not sure, are they saying that specifically? I read elsewhere it was meant to mirror radiation burns of Hiroshima victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I like this change. It adds an almost Lovecraftian element to the origin that hasn't really been present since '54. I'm not saying the new origin isn't, well, new, I'm only saying that it does a good job of containing the distinctive features of Godzilla's classic origin while updating it for today (and providing an easy explanation for further kaiju, to boot!).

It's similar to how Superman's origin has varied but stayed the same these 75 years.

It adds a new wrinkle to the mythos since now ANYTHING could've happened between then and now, which is pretty neat. Imagine if we got a prequel where Godzilla got pissed at the government and wrecked Chernobyl or something.

Also, on the topic of Lovecraftian elements, if they redesign it, is Biollante a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrabKiller View Post
    I'm not sure, are they saying that specifically? I read elsewhere it was meant to mirror radiation burns of Hiroshima victims.
    I've heard multiple times that Godzilla's skin was meant to look like burned scar tissue. I always assumed it was meant to be scar tissue, but I suppose it could be they just wanted it to evoke that.

I went to a Godzilla history panel yesterday at my local comic convention. It was so fun and the audience had a great time trashing the '98 movie.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

This month FEARnet On Demand is showing a bunch of newer Godzilla movies.

• Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    • Godzilla: Final Wars
    • Godzilla (1998)
    • Godzilla 2000
    • Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
    • Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

If Zilla 98 was replaced by Godzilla vs Megaguirus, that would be the entire Millennium series right there.

I think the Showa era was the only Godzilla series that ended with a Mecha G film.
    I meant continuities, not eras. As in Mecha G ended the S.O.S. continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    This month FEARnet On Demand is showing a bunch of newer Godzilla movies.

• Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    • Godzilla: Final Wars
    • Godzilla (1998)
    • Godzilla 2000
    • Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
    • Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
    Hopefully that's not the order because S.O.S. is a direct sequel to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I meant continuities, not eras. As in Mecha G ended the S.O.S. continuity.
    In that case, you'd be right about the # of times MechaG has ended a timeline.

Extraordinary Member

In that case, you'd be right about the # of times MechaG has ended a timeline.
    although the mechagodzilla is the only millennium film with more than one movie

BANNED

Always loved Mecha godzilla although i love the millennium 2003 mechagodzilla design the best , all those guns and rockets.