Page 26 of 114 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^There are a few exceptions. Example: Spacegodzilla might be a dud of a film, but Yuki is probably the best character in the entire Heisei series.
    Asuka was cool in Biollante. And scary foreigner man.

The kids on a trip who get trashed in All Out Attack, and Yuri sell the movie for me. I want craziness to happen to them. Sometimes I want them smashed. Sometimes just shaken up.

Maybe I'm just an easier mark.

But I still think they really pale in comparison to the Showa Series human characters and the modern Gamera ones, who I find more interesting and far better integrated into the stories with the monsters. Aaron Taylor Johnson got a lot of flack for Godzilla '14, and while he was passive to the point of dullness for a lot of the runtime I thought he was used marvelously in the finale as he and the soldiers scrambled to complete their mission literally under the monster's feet while they were fighting.
    The Gamera movies are uneven for me. Better than Pacific Rim, but not on Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 levels, where I just love the people. Or, the Mothra trilogy, which, really, have to get by on the charm of their cast, because they seem to have a tv-level budget.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

That's one of the reasons I think the '60s Godzilla movies were the best: the human characters were often as entertaining as the monsters. It's also a big reason I think the Gamera movies of the '90s and '00s are superior to the Godzilla movies of that era.
    Akira Takarada, no matter what role he's playing, always draws my eye to him. But yeah, the 60s Godzilla movies were great at integrating the human story into the monster story. Shinichi Sekizawa was on top of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The Gamera movies are uneven for me. Better than Pacific Rim, but not on Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 levels, where I just love the people. Or, the Mothra trilogy, which, really, have to get by on the charm of their cast, because they seem to have a tv-level budget.
    I love both the newer Gamera films and Pacific Rim to bits! They are my jam!

I've enjoyed several Godzilla films made during my lifetime (I was born at the tail end of the '80s), but I think Gamera and PacRim have taken the cake quality-wise during that time. I guess at some point I transitioned from being primarily a Godzilla fan to being a more general fan of kaiju. Anyway, with Godzilla Resurgence and the Legendary Godzilla/Kong universe I think Godzilla's finally getting the love and effort he's always deserved and I'm loving it!

... and then we have the new Gamera film and PacRim2 and Tsuburaya is knocking it out of the park with Ultraman (and making the shows available online). These are the good old days as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Akira Takarada, no matter what role he's playing, always draws my eye to him. But yeah, the 60s Godzilla movies were great at integrating the human story into the monster story. Shinichi Sekizawa was on top of his game.
    Sekizawa's aggressively eccentric (yet tight and coherent) scripts are one of the reasons Godzilla even became the big franchise it is.

That's one of the reasons I think the '60s Godzilla movies were the best: the human characters were often as entertaining as the monsters. It's also a big reason I think the Gamera movies of the '90s and '00s are superior to the Godzilla movies of that era.
    The '90s Gamera trilogy is da bomb (Gamera the Brave not so much). But I like the casts in all the G movies from Biollante through Destoroyah.

^I think Gamera the Brave is massively underrated! It goes back to being a film for small children like the original Gamera films, but unlike the perfect kids of the old movies Gamera the Brave's kids feel like, well, real kids! I also like the small town setting, which gives it a different feel from every other kaiju film.

And the design of the Old Gamera you see briefly in the beginning is a favorite of mine.

Extraordinary Member

Why did they go for the heisei tail? The Biolante suit is in my opinion the best Godzilla design to date, but the tail is the one thing heisi got wrong, and it looks like their taking it to an even greater extreme.

Other than that it looks fine. The special effects are clearly much better than Final Wars, but not on the level as the 2014 version, which is to be expected.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Why did they go for the heisei tail? The Biolante suit is in my opinion the best Godzilla design to date, but the tail is the one thing heisi got wrong, and it looks like their taking it to an even greater extreme.
    The tail looked great swinging around in vs Gidorah. And, everyone here's taken a dog tail thwack at least once or been bumped by an overactive cat tail twitching, I'm sure. Active animals with tails, tend to move them, unless they're purely for counterbalance.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Did anyone read the first issue of Godzilla Oblivion? It reminded me of the Showa movies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Did anyone read the first issue of Godzilla Oblivion? It reminded me of the Showa movies.
    yeah.

And the fact that I would gladdly move to a dimension where Godzilla ruled supreme in a heartbeat.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Legendary reshuffles kaiju release dates: Godzilla 2 moves back 9 months, from May 2018 to March 22, 2019. Godzilla vs. Kong follows a year later on May 29, 2020. Pacific Rim 2 now has an official release date of December 31, 2018, beating them both into theaters.

Probably a good idea: Gareth Edwards' Star Wars film comes out this December, giving him only a year and a half to turn out the film as originally scheduled. Summer of '18 is also an overstuffed murderers' row of blockbusters, so I think Godzilla 2 is safer where it is now.

I wonder if Toho will try to get another Godzilla film out between Resurgence and then? I could see them trying to fill that 2018 slot. Since their license gives them distribution to Legendary's films in Japan there'd be no reason to put out domestic Godzilla film in '19 and '20 since, essentially, Hollywood is giving them ones for free and they'd be competing against themselves.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...tos-from-toho/

Surprised this movie is a complete reboot instead of having Godzilla 1954 as a starting point.

That scream is my favorite Godzilla roar.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Exclamation

Just Found the Another Trailer Like the New One that came out the other day to "Godzilla: Resurgence", BUT WITH EXTEND SCENES at the End, Enjoy!!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Funimation to release the film in the Americas!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...la-resurgence/