Page 27 of 114 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Godzilla in anime form!

BANNED

Weird, the site blocks you from linking to Crunchyroll? When did that start?

Shin Godzilla has been playing in Japan for a day now, and if you want spoilers - there are real doozies floating around.

* SPOILERS *

The plot itself seems to be a traditional monster-on-the-loose procedural with an emphasis on current issues in Japan, but Godzilla himself has radical new abilities.

I've read that there are a few wonky shots, but overall the effects work is very impressive, and a ton of classic Godzilla sound effects and music are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Godzilla himself has radical new abilities.
    Awesome!!!

Well we already knew he could dance....

Shin Godzilla has been playing in Japan for a day now, and if you want spoilers - there are real doozies floating around.

* SPOILERS *

The plot itself seems to be a traditional monster-on-the-loose procedural with an emphasis on current issues in Japan, but Godzilla himself has radical new abilities.

I've read that there are a few wonky shots, but overall the effects work is very impressive, and a ton of classic Godzilla sound effects and music are used.
    What are these abilities?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    What are these abilities?
    Mind you, this is just what I've been able to compile from several reviews:

Godzilla goes through several forms: he initially makes landfall as what people are calling his 'tadpole' form, with underdeveloped front limbs and awkwardly pushing itself forward with it legs. While on land its front limbs develop and it becomes a sort of junior Godzilla before going back into the water. Godzilla later emerges in its adult form.

Godzilla's breath also goes through metamorphosis. It starts out like smoke (not exactly clear on this), then fire, and eventually as an extremely destructive thin purple beam. We've long suspected that Godzilla unhinges his jaw to open his mouth extremely wide (like a snake) when he does this, but apparently his lower jaw also splits apart (like Otachi in Pacific Rim) when firing the ray. Godzilla then fires multiple rays from his back/dorsal plates (!) and (if I'm understanding it correctly) goes into a sort of hibernation after expending his energy. In the final part of the film, Godzilla fires his beam from both his mouth and the tip of his tail, which he controls scorpion-like.

Amazing Member

Mind you, this is just what I've been able to compile from several reviews:
    More change than I expected from a Toho Godzilla movie, but some fresh ideas may be a good thing.

Seems the film is a success in Japan: #1 in the weekend box office, outperforming Godzilla '14 (which did well for Toho) in it's opening weekend, and critics and the public seem to either like it or outright love it. I think the film might divide US fans, though: it's apparently really, really, really Japanese. It's steeped in the Japanese experience and style in a way few kaiju films are.

Either way, I'm excited for the future of Japanese kaiju films. Bring on more!

Shin Godzilla is an enormous hit in its native Japan: #1 second week in a row, and already surpassing the gross of GMK (the most successful Millennium series Godzilla film) in 12 days.

http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/ja...in-1201832574/

The common refrain for at least the last decade is that Godzilla was far more popular in American than in Japan (I believe first came from cast members and production staff making appearances at US conventions). He was seen a passé in his home country, but the success of Godzilla '14 in Japan seems to have signaled the reversal of this, and now Shin Godzilla has buried it, showing his return to relevance.

Fantastic news.

Shin Godzilla has surprised Toho by being a huge hit: after its fifth weekend it's made over $50 million, while Toho's pre-release forecast was only $40 million for its entire run! Again, this may sound like peanuts to us in the states, but this is Japan with a much, much smaller film market, and these are fantastic numbers. It's rare for a non-animated film to make this kind of money in the Japanese box office (animation, of course, being so popular in Japan - hence the upcoming Godzilla anime).

While Funimation is yet to announce the US theatrical release, some theaters seem to have jumped the gun and have been listing the film as starting October 11. Enough have corroborated the date to make it seem like a safe bet that Oct. 11 is our date for what seems like a run of a few days.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I'm still suprised a company like Funimation managed to get a Godzilla film over say Paramount or Warner Bros. I mean Not saying they won't do a good job with the English dub. Just suprised a small outfit in Texas that mostly gets by on peddling anime will be releasing a film for a well known franchise like Godzilla.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

^Better fit for someone like Funimation: a foreign film that's not a potential awards contender doesn't fit in a bigger studio's wheelhouse these days, even with a character with brand recognition like Godzilla. A wide release would cost a lot of money and the film would likely only attract a cult audience. Sony released Godzilla 2000 16 years ago and made about $10 million, but Funimation can do a limited release using (I think) digital streaming to pipe it into theaters for a few days and make the same $10 million while spending only a fraction of the cost to bring it to people.