Page 37 of 114 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

However,too bad we dont get to see big G take on Fing Fang Foom or some other Marvel monsters.

^They even teased the obvious Hulk vs. Godzilla match-up in the letters column (yeah, I have a few issues), and just never got around to it. They did have him meet Devil Dinosaur, though!

Apparently the Marvel Godzilla was reasonably successful, and only ended because of Toho. I've read two explanations: that Toho declined to allow them to renew their license because they didn't like the direction the comic took, and that Toho increased the licensing fee because the book was doing well, but when it came time for Marvel to renew they saw the higher price tag and balked.

Marvel clearly liked him.After his own series he shows up in Iron Man and Thing.With a fin on his head for legal resons.Savage Dragon style.
    Ofc,name Godzilla is never used,but its obvious who it is.
    It would be cool if Marvel and Idw teamed up for a new collection of that series.

^IDW seems to have lost the license. Matt Frank (the most prominent Godzilla artist of IDW's run) seems to thing it has something to do with Legendary Pictures wanting to do more comics themselves.

Really?Didnt know that.
    Too bad,they did a good job for most parts.
    Last edited by OutlawGunStar; 08-28-2017 at 12:24 AM.

^ I especially liked Half Century War. Probably the best Godzilla comic ever done. That and Matt Frank's Godzilla in feudal Japan issue of Rage Against Time were the highlights of IDW's run for me.

I'd love for someone to start translating some of the Godzilla manga that are out there. Japan's published some wild stuff!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 08-28-2017 at 08:34 AM.

New trailer for Godzilla Monster Planet!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    New trailer for Godzilla Monster Planet!

Looks pretty good to me. For the life of me, I've never understood why Toho hasn't done more with animation in regards to Godzilla. With animation you can do things that would just otherwise be unfeasible due to budgets and physical effects which really opens up story telling possibilities.

So Godzilla meets Macross,I guess? :-)

Old Man Goji
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

STARZ streaming suddenly has almost all of the Showa Godzilla movies, including out of print ones (like the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) along with Rodan and War of the Gargantuas. New HD versions, new and improved subtitles, and the source for these new versions... why, it's the prestigious Criterion Collection!

Hopefully a Criterion Godzilla box set is in the works!

Hey, the first installment in the Godzilla anime trilogy premiers in Japanese theaters this week! (worldwide Netflix release tbd)

Cool thing that happened to promote it: the Japanese TV premier of Shin Godzilla, proceeded by the 'Godzilla Election' TV special, which had various panelists and clips from the history of the series, but the coolest thing was that they had 10,000 Japanese fans vote for their favorite Godzilla series monsters and favorite Godzilla movies!

Favorite kaiju:

1. Mothra
    2. King Ghidorah
    3. Rodan
    4. Minya
    5. Showa MechaGodzilla
    6. Anguirus
    7. Mecha King Ghidorah
    8. Baby/Little/Godzilla Jr.
    9. Gigan
    10. Hedorah
    11. Biollante
    12. Kiryu
    13. Super MechaGodzilla
    14. Jet Jaguar
    15. Keizer Ghidorah
    16. Baragon
    17. Destoroyah
    18. Varan
    19. Godzillasaurus
    20. Battra

Surprised to see Minya so high, but with the ugly/cute early versions of Shin Godzilla being so popular I guess I can see the connection. Wonder with the three Mechagodzillas were deemed as separate entities while some monsters weren't?

Favorite movies:

1. Shin Godzilla (2016)
    2. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
    3. Godzilla (1954)
    4. Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (1964)
    5. Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Of course Shin was gonna win, but I'm glad to see the Showa series anchoring the list. Godzilla vs. Mothra '92 is not a favorite of mine, but it was a huge hit in 1992 and sorta the last peak of Godzilla's popularity in Japan before Shin exploded.

Japan really does love Mothra

Also Mecha G II > other Mecha G's IMO
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I'm surprised King Ceasar isn't on that list. He was up there when I was in Japan in terms of popularity.

Kiryu has become my favorite Mecha G. I really like that design and the whole MechaGodzilla/SOS arc.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Movie #1 of the Godzilla anime trilogy comes out today in Japan and the teaser poster for the second film gives away a big spoiler...

A new, radically redesigned Mechagodzilla!