Page 38 of 114 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Huh, apparently the Godzilla anime film wasn't actually a wide, blockbuster-style theatrical release in Japan, but had a more limited, fan-targeted rollout (but still placed 3rd at the box office). For reference: it played on roughly 35% the number of screens Shin Godzilla premiered on. Hopefully this is good news for the rest of us getting to see it, 'cause we were told the film would premier worldwide on Netflix after the Japanese theatrical release. If the theatrical release in smaller than expected maybe it's shorter as well?

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, the first film in the Godzilla anime trilogy, drops worldwide on Netflix on January 17!

New Godzilla movie in... *checks watch* .. two days?!

We're watching Shin right now! Our house is ready!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Watched the first Godzilla anime twice tonight. It was alright.

It felt like it could've been a Shin sequel.

It was a little underwhelming in the techno babble beats.

Needed more G.

Soundtrack was odd for a Godzilla movie. But it was really good!

Animation was cool.

The world building was inspired and a nice twist for the genre.

MechaGodzilla sounds like it does whatever it wants to do when they finally switch it on.

Mamoru Miyano talking for 1h28m is kind of hypnotic.

The movie is practically 1h28m of Miyano talking though ... even over the action set pieces.

The English dub is fantastic. I would put it up there with 2000, Shin, and 1984 as the best dubs.

It didn't have a resolution. I guess since we're a getting 2 more they thought they could cut on a complete story.

Honestly, I am more interested in the mysteries they setup then the Godzilla world conflicts.

Not bad, but not amazing. I think Shin spoiled me and I set my bar too high.

Still a solid Godzilla movie with some neat twists.

My son was super happy that there is gonna be more!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-17-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I just watch and like it. However this doesn't mean i thought it master piece. Basically the movie was alright.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I'm gonna check out the movie tonight. I'm concerned because as with a few other Godzilla works in recents year he doesn't seem to be the focus, seems to be some other random new character I have no feelings towards
    The J-man

I enjoyed it for what it was, but the Japanese critics were spot on when they said it was an 'Episode 1' rather than a satisfying, standalone experience. Just as things were getting interesting it's to be continued! There were a bunch of things setup here that I think could be really interesting when they play out...

- The motivations behind the two alien races is the most interesting. The fact that they both intended to take over Earth but became refugees along with the humans is rich, but I bet the situations between the three species change dramatically between the three films. Metphies seems to have his own reasons for bringing everyone back to Earth, and manipulated our main character Haruo to do so.
    - Mechagodzilla next movie!
    - There's some sort of human civilization on Earth. The body paint on girl we see in the end credit sequence almost calls Mothra to mind, no?
    - BTW, both of the aliens races are based off classic Godzilla aliens: the Bilusaludo are obviously based on the black hole aliens, seeing as how their origin story is the same and they build Mechagodzilla. Some Japanese sources connect the other species, the Exif, with the people of Planet X. Like in the classic movie, these aliens put on a benevolent facade, but we'll see how that turns out
    This was actually planned as a series (heck, Netflix is kinda still labelling it as one, with three 'episodes' instead of movies) but Toho stepped in and said it had to be a movie trilogy instead because... uh, they're like Godzilla's agent and Godzilla is a film star, not a TV star?

iMan 42s

Alright I'm not sure if this is an OVA or a movie trilogy but regardless I was underwhelmed with this one.
    I'm not spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it but I genuinely feel like a lot of this was not only padding but kind of a waste when we got to the end and saw what was clearly the more interesting threat. But the space stuff barely mattered and Godzilla himself basically gets sidelined for technobabble and himself. I'm not going to clarify that but Godzilla getting sidelined for Godzilla is one of the weirdest things this franchise has done as of late, I'm surprised they didn't just lead with it. The movie feels like it has something to say to the effect of "take care of the Earth or a problem will ruin the planet" but with that ending basically defeating the point just didn't sit well with me.

I saw the dub and the voice acting is spotty at best. Some actors do great, others not so much. The animation while good enough doesn't make Godzilla very interesting to look at. The design clearly pulled from Ledgendary's attempt, and he's just more muscular here. My issue is while this does reuse a design I like, the animation lacks a lot of the nuances that makes Legendary interesting to look at. He doesn't feel like he has any weight here which may be an issue of the animation but I just don't know.

I actually got bored watching this and missed a few parts (I will be re-watching) but the plot could probably be summed up in a short paragraph which isn't very good for what may very well be a movie trilogy. I just don't care as much like I did with Ledgendary's King of balance Godzilla, or Shin's diabolical mutant. Typing this now it almost feels like its in one ear and out the other so its not a very engaging sit.

If I had to rank it I would give it a C-.
    It does enough right its worth a sit and the animation is fluid with some great acting (in the dub) with a few exceptions. But the anime feels more like it wants to be an anime first, and a Godzilla story third. Second is padding, it deserved better. While this Godzilla is bigger than the last two it's just not as powerful as its modern cousins.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

so when does the next live action sequel come out?

is the recent anime' film understandable?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so when does the next live action sequel come out?

is the recent anime' film understandable?
    Two Hollywood Godzilla films, Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019 and Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020. They're part of the 'MonsterVerse' cinematic universe that so far includes the 2014 Godzilla as well as Kong: Skull Island.

The recent anime film is understandable, but it's a bit insubstantial as it sets up the story that will pay off in the two further movies of the trilogy. The second comes out this summer and the third by the end of the year. It took two months from the Japanese release for this first one to come on Netflix worldwide, so I assume the same'll happen for the other two.

Sad to report that Yosuke Natsuki, who played the lead role of Detective Shindo in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster and Professor Hayashida in The Return of Godzilla, has passed away. he was 81.

Astonishing Member

I just don't see how Kong vs. Godzilla will work. Kong will have to have a major upgrade so as not to be incinerated.

Also the Kong movie stunk. It was one of the stupidest plots out there. The original movie was so much better as a film.

^Yeah, it's almost as ridiculous as two baby caterpillars defeating Godzilla!

https://m.facebook.com/GormaruIsland...10102859218786

So apparently Toho is making some ambitious plans for Godzilla, from one movie every year or so to maybe more anime and stuff, all starting around 2021. Sounds exciting.