Page 52 of 114 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    it makes sense in the same way none of these monsters follow any real logic
    It makes no sense in universe either. Kong is going to go from getting cut by helicopter rotors to fighting Godzilla. Godzilla who is invulnerable to any real man made weapons. Super sci fi weapons or other similarly immune to such weapons Kaiju are required to injure him.

is kong still a stand-in for the USA?

There's rumors that Kong will get an upgrade like Godzilla does. And it will be in KotM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Godzilla all the way, whenever he is not in the same universe as Godzilla Kong dies via bullets. Having him even tie the big G feels oh so wrong.
    I've yet to see Skull Island, but isn't Kong close to an infant or something there?

I've heard he's supposed to be mature (and also BIGGER) in GvK. Bullets won't have any effect on him as he will be as strong as the plot demands, including Godzilla. Who has been taken out by, among other things, a butterfly and a rose bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Also, unless there are cute singing little fairy gals, it ain't Mothra.
    The girls will be represented to some degree if that "Mothra's Song" listed on the soundtrack is any indication.

I hope "Queen of the Monsters" is a remix of "Sacred Spring". If it's accompanying the scene I think it will, it'd be the perfect place for it.

It makes no sense in universe either. Kong is going to go from getting cut by helicopter rotors to fighting Godzilla. Godzilla who is invulnerable to any real man made weapons. Super sci fi weapons or other similarly immune to such weapons Kaiju are required to injure him.
    that's baby Kong. He got a few scratches but considering he was a baby and the gunfire and explosion didn't do that much. Still basically looked the same afterward. Fought the squid, two skull crawlers and the big one. His proportional size and strength were pretty impressive especially when facing things around his size. If he does end up being close to Godzilla's size I don't see the problem.

Godzilla's been taken out by man-made weapons on a number of occasions over the years. And it's not like he didn't flinch when the military started lighting him up when he got close.

It'll make as much sense as the movies need it to. When they fought in the 60s it made sense and judging by the latest movies it will look cool,
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've yet to see Skull Island, but isn't Kong close to an infant or something there?

I've heard he's supposed to be mature (and also BIGGER) in GvK. Bullets won't have any effect on him as he will be as strong as the plot demands, including Godzilla. Who has been taken out by, among other things, a butterfly and a rose bush.

The girls will be represented to some degree if that "Mothra's Song" listed on the soundtrack is any indication.

I hope "Queen of the Monsters" is a remix of "Sacred Spring". If it's accompanying the scene I think it will, it'd be the perfect place for it.
    Kong was said to be a teenager in Skull Island so no. Mothra is a virtual goddess who is far from unbeaten vs the big G. And Biollante is the closer thing to a Lovecraftian horror we are likely to see in this genre and Godzilla killed it. Both had powers far above anything the monkey since you want to belittle things has ever shown.

Yeah he's just a baby. They blatantly remind you that Kong is an infant to clealry set up for his meeting with Godzilla. The Gunfire in Skull Island looked like annoying bug bites if I had to guess. He than proceeds to take out the attack choppers like they are nothing but annoyances. Even comes away unscathed from a huge napoalm explosion.

The interesting point will be how they set up the confrontation. Kong is pretty much a peaceful King when left unprovoked. We see him helping other giant animals. He only attacked the helicopters because they were dropping bombs. I'm not realy sure how Godzilla operates in the new universe. When he hunted the MUTO's he looked like he just did it to kill them not eat them. I guess just a predator marking its territory. Not even sure how this Godzilla gets sustenance. I think the 2014 movie alluded to him feeding off radioactive energy. So I'm not sure if Godzilla just goes for the kill when he sense other Kaijuu. Considering the movies seemingly bending over backward showcase Godzila as a protector/guardian I'm just very curious.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

False clearly states adolescent here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong:_Skull_Island

Scroll down to the mo cap for kk.
    Last edited by regnak; 04-27-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Towards the last movies, Mothra was clearly not just bug flesh but had energy powers and abilities that denote the kaiju. In the old Kong film besides, tree-fu, Kong came up with some electric powers. Also, unless there are cute singing little fairy gals, it ain't Mothra.
    Again, looks like nothing but bug flesh to me. If the average movie goer doesn't have a problem with an overgrown moth tanking Godzilla's blasts, they'll accept a giant ape doing the same much more easily. It's only a weird, diehard segment of the fandom with a problem, and Hollywood ignores groups like that when making movies, so it is all good

Godzilla all the way, whenever he is not in the same universe as Godzilla Kong dies via bullets. Having him even tie the big G feels oh so wrong.
    But this one is in the same universe as Godzilla, so no dying by bullets here.
    Go Kong!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is kong still a stand-in for the USA?
    was he ever? Certainly wouldn't be the case for these new movies
    The J-man

Kong was said to be a teenager in Skull Island so no.
    But he's not done growing, so my point still stands.

Mothra is a virtual goddess who is far from unbeaten vs the big G. And Biollante is the closer thing to a Lovecraftian horror we are likely to see in this genre and Godzilla killed it. Both had powers far above anything the monkey since you want to belittle things has ever shown.
    And yet at a surface level glance, Mothra is just a butterfly before she reveals other powers the writing decides to give her. In the original Mothra vs. Godzilla, she just had poison dust and hurricane winds at her disposal and still gave Godzilla a great fight, and then her two babies defeated him with webbing. The stuff with laser beams and stingers came much later. She's a harder sell for the general audience than Kong is at first glance, but chances are this movie will sell her on us. This movie just has to make Kong as big as Godzilla and give him some power upgrades and people will buy it.

Biollante is NOT Lovecraftian because she's man's science gone wrong, and Godzilla never killed her. He won the first round, then she evolved and came back and kicked his ass. Her blew her head apart and it didn't finish her. It ended in a draw and she left for space.

You're the one belittling Kong for some reason. His out of universe popularity/infamy is on par with Godzilla's, that's all the justification they need to pit them against each other and tweak him accordingly to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Again, looks like nothing but bug flesh to me. If the average movie goer doesn't have a problem with an overgrown moth tanking Godzilla's blasts, they'll accept a giant ape doing the same much more easily. It's only a weird, diehard segment of the fandom with a problem, and Hollywood ignores groups like that when making movies, so it is all good
    Yes, in the best Mothra movie, she really was just a giant bug without any of the extra bells and whistles. And she still provided one of the best fights in the franchise and this movie is hailed as the best of the sequels, and with good reason.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-28-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Mighty Member

But he's not done growing, so my point still stands.
    Mothra is a virtual goddess who is far from unbeaten vs the big G. And Biollante is the closer thing to a Lovecraftian horror we are likely to see in this genre and Godzilla killed it. Both had powers far above anything the monkey since you want to belittle things has ever shown.[/QUOTE]

And yet at a surface level glance, Mothra is just a butterfly before she reveals other powers the writing decides to give her. In the original Mothra vs. Godzilla, she just had poison dust and hurricane winds at her disposal and still gave Godzilla a great fight, and then her two babies defeated him with webbing. The stuff with laser beams and stingers came much later. She's a harder sell for the general audience than Kong is at first glance, but chances are this movie will sell her on us. This movie just has to make Kong as big as Godzilla and give him some power upgrades and people will buy it.

Biollante is NOT Lovecraftian because she's man's science gone wrong, and Godzilla never killed her. He won the first round, then she evolved and came back and kicked his ass. Her blew her head apart and it didn't finish her. It ended in a draw and she left for space.

You're the one belittling Kong for some reason. His out of universe popularity/infamy is on par with Godzilla's, that's all the justification they need to pit them against each other and tweak him accordingly to make it work.[/QUOTE]

Your point only stands if infants and teenagers were the same size they are not. Having your head blown off and deciding to leave doesn't sound like a draw to me. And Biollante has the look of such a monster which is the best we are likely to ever get.

Exactly what evidence do you have that Kong has anywhere’s the popularity of Godzilla? I am not buying it without some sort of proof.
    Last edited by regnak; 04-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.

you're really harping over semantics?

He works the same way other kaiju's work as 4 others already explained
    The J-man

Your point only stands if infants and teenagers were the same size they are not.
    The comparison isn't being made between an infant and a teenager, it's a teenager and an adult.
    In humans that's not as noticeable a difference, but you're aware we're talking about a monstrous gorilla kaiju, right? They have all the reason they need to make him as big as they want. His biology doesn't resemble ours. And clarifying that he isn't fully grown as they are setting up a future confrontation with Godzilla is ridiculously transparent on their part. They are telling us he will get much bigger.

Having your head blown off and deciding to leave doesn't sound like a draw to me. And Biollante has the look of such a monster which is the best we are likely to ever get.
    When the head isn't her weak point (that'd be the big glowing core) so it won't kill her and she decides to leave, and Godzilla collapses from exhaustion, it's a draw. It appears to be a source of contention among Godizlla fandom, so it isn't a clear cut victory for either. And while Biollante is fearsome (one of my favorite kaiju), gorillas are intimidating animals as well. A strong gorilla as big as Godzilla is pretty intimidating. A mutated rose bush is a harder sell than a monstrous gorilla, as is a butterfly, and they made it work. So Kong should be easy.

Exactly what evidence do you have that Kong has anywhere’s the popularity of Godzilla? I am not buying it without some sort of proof.
    Everyone knows who King Kong is even if they've never seen a movie with him in it. Hes a pop culture icon. They are both famous monsters, probably the most famous rampaging monsters in all of cinema, which is why they are pitting them against each other in the first place. If he's not as popular, his notoriety is still going to catch everyone's attention, especially as a follow up to the hopefully successful KoTM.

What do you need proof for? The movie is being made and the casuals will see it because their interest will be piqued. It doesn't matter if Godzilla is more popular. Seeing him fight a monster who is just as well known is all they need to go support Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    you're really harping over semantics?

He works the same way other kaiju's work as 4 others already explained
    Yep, he works as the plot demands and his origins change depending on the version.
    Like Godzilla himself. Or Ghidorah, who is either an outer space monstrosity or three stupid looking little Pokemon critters that got nuked to kingdom come and got fused together to be mind controlled by time traveling Americans. Or an immature Orochi.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.