Page 53 of 114 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

The Ironic history between Godzilla and Kong was that Toho almost made Kong one of the heroes of their universe. After King Kong vs Godzilla Toho planned Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah film. However, that was ultimately canceled for a Godzilla vs Ebirah film titled: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.

Toho did make the film "King Kong Escapes" and produced his cartoon series which I guess did surprisingly well. But after that, they lost the rights and it was probably too expensive for them to acquire them again or something. So they just went ahead with their own monsters. Ironically, Kong was supposed to make one more appearance in the show Greenman or Go Greenman, but they had to change the character to something called Gorilla so it really wasn't Kong.

There are a lot of rumors of where Toho's King Kong or God of Thunder might have been with a few more films under his belt but they are just rumors at this point.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to those next few films they should be exciting.

Looks like we get way more kaiju action than we did in the 2014 film. Skull Island did a good job with balancing the monster appearances and had a pretty good cast. Judging by the previews King of Monsters is going to give us all the monster fights we want and has a good cast too. That's where the 2014 film suffered. Not enough Godzilla and a poor cast. The 3 best actors barely got any screentime (Bryan Cranston killed off early, Ken Watanabe & David Strathairn had a few lines)
    The J-man

I always avoid things like this. King Kong and Godzilla can fight cuz they are fantasy characters and they are only inhibited by the imagination and quality of execution of the filmmakers who decide to make them fight!

In related news: we're getting a fancy Blu-ray steelbook of the original Mothra movie released here in the US in a couple of months!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...lbook-blu-ray/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The comparison isn't being made between an infant and a teenager, it's a teenager and an adult.
    In humans that's not as noticeable a difference, but you're aware we're talking about a monstrous gorilla kaiju, right? They have all the reason they need to make him as big as they want. His biology doesn't resemble ours. And clarifying that he isn't fully grown as they are setting up a future confrontation with Godzilla is ridiculously transparent on their part. They are telling us he will get much bigger.

When the head isn't her weak point (that'd be the big glowing core) so it won't kill her and she decides to leave, and Godzilla collapses from exhaustion, it's a draw. It appears to be a source of contention among Godizlla fandom, so it isn't a clear cut victory for either. And while Biollante is fearsome (one of my favorite kaiju), gorillas are intimidating animals as well. A strong gorilla as big as Godzilla is pretty intimidating. A mutated rose bush is a harder sell than a monstrous gorilla, as is a butterfly, and they made it work. So Kong should be easy.

Everyone knows who King Kong is even if they've never seen a movie with him in it. Hes a pop culture icon. They are both famous monsters, probably the most famous rampaging monsters in all of cinema, which is why they are pitting them against each other in the first place. If he's not as popular, his notoriety is still going to catch everyone's attention, especially as a follow up to the hopefully successful KoTM.

What do you need proof for? The movie is being made and the casuals will see it because their interest will be piqued. It doesn't matter if Godzilla is more popular. Seeing him fight a monster who is just as well known is all they need to go support Kong.

Yep, he works as the plot demands and his origins change depending on the version.
    Like Godzilla himself. Or Ghidorah, who is either an outer space monstrosity or three stupid looking little Pokemon critters that got nuked to kingdom come and got fused together to be mind controlled by time traveling Americans. Or an immature Orochi.

Sigh, KK was about the size of his parents already the idea of growing 3x larger is dumb even for a kaiju movie.

Godzilla has many more movies, games, books comics only cartoons are anywhere close. I think it highly likely as in ninetieth percentile he is more popular and moviegoers will not be pleased if he loses. Which is why I asked for the evidence that you cannot produce.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Sigh, KK was about the size of his parents already the idea of growing 3x larger is dumb even for a kaiju movie.
    It's no more dumb than some of the stuff done with a lot of other kaiju, including Godzilla himself and some of the monsters he's fighting in this very movie.

Godzilla has many more movies, games, books comics only cartoons are anywhere close. I think it highly likely as in ninetieth percentile he is more popular and moviegoers will not be pleased if he loses. Which is why I asked for the evidence that you cannot produce.
    I never said he was more popular or that he would definitely win (I think Godzilla will win), just that he was as well known and it's a match up that sells itself to the casuals. It they like KoTM, they will see this as a follow up. Those ticket sales are the ones that matter, not the die hards who are the ONLY ones upset at the very notion of Kong challenging Godzilla. Any casual who is rooting for Godzilla will move on with their lives fairly quickly if he loses.

Besides, MechaGodzilla might be in this, so GvK won't even be the whole plot anyway.

I'd prefer Biollante over a huge robot Mech honestly
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'd prefer Biollante over a huge robot Mech honestly
    I would LOVE to see Biollante, but I imagine MechaG is the most likely license to have been bought by Legendary. They only got a few, and he's the last of the Big 5.

Maybe if the contracts are re-negotiated following GvK and these movies continue, they will get the rights to other monsters, including her. Would also like to see Battra and Angirus.

Mighty Member

My impossible dream is Godzilla vs a bunch of Lovecraftian monsters.

Mothra is a virtual goddess who is far from unbeaten vs the big G. And Biollante is the closer thing to a Lovecraftian horror we are likely to see in this genre and Godzilla killed it. Both had powers far above anything the monkey since you want to belittle things has ever shown.
    A tribe of natives and two fairies called her a goddess. A tribe of natives called King Kong a god. Both have died in film, to be replaced by their offspring. Both have fought Godzilla. So why is only one a virtual God?

Your point only stands if infants and teenagers were the same size they are not. Having your head blown off and deciding to leave doesn't sound like a draw to me. And Biollante has the look of such a monster which is the best we are likely to ever get.
    Doesn't matter what size teenagers are, they already said that Kong's species grows much, much larger, so he's going to be a lot bigger, big enough to challenge Godzilla.

Exactly what evidence do you have that Kong has anywhere’s the popularity of Godzilla? I am not buying it without some sort of proof.
    You're joking right? Of course Kong is popular, they keep making movies with him pretty much every generation, he's been in cartoons, he's been referenced, parodied, and homaged for decades. Simpson's did a Kong parody, How I Met Your Mother did a Kong reference, Hammer ripped it off with Konga, there's Donkey Kong from Nintendo, hell Godzilla wouldn't even exist if the popularity of Kong didn't make Toho think a giant monster of their own could be profitable, and that is well recorded, look it up. You might not like King Kong, but his place in film history and his popularity is proven fact.

Mighty Member

Ah once again no proof and who came first doesn’t matter as to who is more popular now. Exhibit A JLA vs Avengers.

Ah once again no proof and who came first doesn’t matter as to who is more popular now. Exhibit A JLA vs Avengers.
    Are you ok? Your behavior in this thread is a little troubling. You've been given proof that you're willfully ignoring, NO ONE has said Kong is more popular than Godzilla, ok? But he IS an extremely popular character oh and btw Skull Island made $566M worldwide which guess what, is more than the $529M the 2014 Godzilla film made but I bet you'll somehow claim that isn't proof. That this film is being made period should be proof enough that Kong is very popular.

I'm pretty sure a buttload of successful movies, a slew of references, parodies, homages, and ripoffs, toys, comics, cartoons, video games, theme park rides, and more is proof. It's as much proof as Godzilla himself has. And I wasn't arguing who is more popular, just stating that he is indeed popular. If King Kong needs to be more popular than Godzilla in order to be in a movie with Godzilla, Godzilla would have no versus movies at all. But Kong is definitely in the running for most popular/famous giant monster. It's just him and Godzilla. Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all fall behind Kong's fame. So, more than popular enough to make a showdown between him and Godzilla an event to fill theaters. Seriously, what sort of proof do you need?

Providing the proof is a waste of time if you're not going to acknowledge it. Sounds like Skull Island's box office vs. G14 speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Do you feel threatened on Godzilla's behalf or something? He's fine.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Are you ok? Your behavior in this thread is a little troubling. You've been given proof that you're willfully ignoring, NO ONE has said Kong is more popular than Godzilla, ok? But he IS an extremely popular character oh and btw Skull Island made $566M worldwide which guess what, is more than the $529M the 2014 Godzilla film made but I bet you'll somehow claim that isn't proof. That this film is being made period should be proof enough that Kong is very popular.
    That is a one off thing and I was done until Vakanai sounded like he was claiming just that in the post just above mine. The next Kong’s movie after SI will the first probably successful sequel KK has ever, OTOH Godzilla has had plenty. But at least you provided a single piece of evidence. Still outweighed by The many movies, media and other merchandise in favor of Godzilla. Even in that case it is close enough that a good argument can be made that SI did better because they learned from the mistake of too little kaiju in G14.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Providing the proof is a waste of time if you're not going to acknowledge it. Sounds like Skull Island's box office vs. G14 speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Do you feel threatened on Godzilla's behalf or something? He's fine.

Uh, no V ignored all the evidence I presented and gave none of his own.

Uh, no V ignored all the evidence I presented and gave none of his own.
    You are not really presenting any, and he just made common sense points that everyone knows.