Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1705
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Finally saw Shin Godzilla. I found it enjoyable overall, definitely one of the best films since the original, but I was somewhat disappointed.

Anno was going full force with his quick cuts and subtitles explaining who each person and piece of military equipment was, so the speed reading got kind of annoying after a bit. Especially when it was introducing characters we already met. I thought the cast was very good overall, but the English speaking scenes brought it down quite a bit. Especially Kayoco, who is not even remotely believable as a second generation American citizens. They couldn't get an actress who could speak English more fluently? But even the American actors weren't that great, though it may have had something to do with the stilted dialogue they were given that may not be bothersome to a Japanese ear.

But on to the positives, this was the most frightening Godzilla has been in a while and he looked great throughout the whole film. I especially loved his grotesque transformations, and the scene at night when he fired his iconic beam in new ways was fantastic. The nuanced portrayal of America was also pretty good. The film is obviously pro Japan and isn't going to blindly kiss America's ass and not call them out on some of their BS, but it does show the two nations cooperating effectively and still has some sympathetic American characters.

The music was kind of meh. Nothing really stood out aside from the recycled Eva tracks. KOTM blew this out of the water in terms of music.

Overall, a solid B. I'm glad I have this as an addition to my Kaiju library and will definitely have a few re-watches where I may re-evaluate my opinion. But I think I enjoyed KOTM more even if this is an overall better film, and I'm eager to see Anno go back to Evangelion already and finish that up.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Sorry if this was mentioned, but LIFE magazine has put out a special edition Godzilla issue that's packed with articles and pictures and no ads. It's a beauty and I'm looking forward to reading it today. I picked mine up at the checkout at the grocery store this morning so it should be easy for everyone to find.
    Thanks for posting this, I didn't know anything about this.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Finally saw Shin Godzilla. I found it enjoyable overall, definitely one of the best films since the original, but I was somewhat disappointed.

Anno was going full force with his quick cuts and subtitles explaining who each person and piece of military equipment was, so the speed reading got kind of annoying after a bit. Especially when it was introducing characters we already met. I thought the cast was very good overall, but the English speaking scenes brought it down quite a bit. Especially Kayoco, who is not even remotely believable as a second generation American citizens. They couldn't get an actress who could speak English more fluently? But even the American actors weren't that great, though it may have had something to do with the stilted dialogue they were given that may not be bothersome to a Japanese ear.

But on to the positives, this was the most frightening Godzilla has been in a while and he looked great throughout the whole film. I especially loved his grotesque transformations, and the scene at night when he fired his iconic beam in new ways was fantastic. The nuanced portrayal of America was also pretty good. The film is obviously pro Japan and isn't going to blindly kiss America's ass and not call them out on some of their BS, but it does show the two nations cooperating effectively and still has some sympathetic American characters.

The music was kind of meh. Nothing really stood out aside from the recycled Eva tracks. KOTM blew this out of the water in terms of music.

Overall, a solid B. I'm glad I have this as an addition to my Kaiju library and will definitely have a few re-watches where I may re-evaluate my opinion. But I think I enjoyed KOTM more even if this is an overall better film, and I'm eager to see Anno go back to Evangelion already and finish that up.
    Hate to tell you, but most of Hollywood has not been any better with non-English speaking roles. And at least nowadays they get the verbs and grammar right, for a long time, filmmakers didn't even bother about that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Hate to tell you, but most of Hollywood has not been any better with non-English speaking roles. And at least nowadays they get the verbs and grammar right, for a long time, filmmakers didn't even bother about that.
    Well, obviously. But I was speaking about this specific example as an English speaker. That doesn't mean its much better when Hollywood does it either.

The original Mothra was released in a special edition Blu-ray steelbook today. I'm watching it right now and it's a pretty terrific release. Pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

I went over to Walmart today and was thrilled that they had the new toys out. I bought the big one for $20 and the two smaller ones for $13 each. I'm glad I did too because they're already going for double that on Ebay.
    I despise the American toys they have for G. The Japanese toys are superior to the American in every way. Those X-Plus gigantic series is pure magic for G toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    The original Mothra was released in a special edition Blu-ray steelbook today. I'm watching it right now and it's a pretty terrific release. Pick it up!
    Wait .. what!?

*orders*
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Wait .. what!?

*orders*
    The company that put out Mothra, Mill Creek, did a fantastic job. I hope they'd do more kaiju releases.... cut to one day later aaaand:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...north-america/

Mill Creek announced as the official North American distributor for Ultraman! Shows and movies! First releases are Ultra Q and Ultraman '66 in October in DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray steelbook, and digital formats!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    The company that put out Mothra, Mill Creek, did a fantastic job. I hope they'd do more kaiju releases.... cut to one day later aaaand:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...north-america/

Mill Creek announced as the official North American distributor for Ultraman! Shows and movies! First releases are Ultra Q and Ultraman '66 in October in DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray steelbook, and digital formats!
    Criterion is updating the Showa Godzilla movies. No ETA on new blu-ray but apparently they have a test print for a 4K of one of the last Showa movies not currently on blu. They are airing the new prints on 2 channels and getting ready to negotiate streaming rights.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

^ These new distribution deals are as big a deal to me as a new movie would be!

Do they distribute outside the USA? Cause here in the Uk theres only 5 Godzilla movies available.

^ Criterion has done some releases in the UK. Hopefully, this means UK fans will get this upcoming release(s).

Mill Creek is partnering with a UK company for their Ultraman releases so those will apparently be released in the UK!

Rumor is we will get a trailer next month or in December
    The J-man

I still have yet to see King of the Monsters. Is it worth checking out on video, story-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I still have yet to see King of the Monsters. Is it worth checking out on video, story-wise?
    Not in my opinion. I wound up fast forwarding and only watching the monster battles. Also, Godzilla is only in the movie for like 10 minutes.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!