Page 90 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1705

We disagree about King of Monsters. Ponderous, with stupid human motives. Even with Millie B B the kid plot was intolerable, and when the monsters bowed to G at the end, I laughed.
    Give me another Shin over these Legendary any time. I said enough of what I think was wrong with GvK on that thread. No need to rehash.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I do have a soft spot for Minilla, though. My brothers and I, always forgetting his name, nicknamed him Smiley for obvious reasons.
    Minilla is dope. Great to see the character becoming popular and merchandised again after decades if being treated like the Adam West Batman used to be treated. Son of Godzilla also has a terrific human cast, a nice sense of escalation with the plot, the bad guys are cool marionettes, and in an era where a lot of Kaiju movies just end abruptly this movie has a really well thought out and satisfying ending.

As for new Godzilla films: Godzilla vs. Kong was fun, Godzilla: King of the Monsters was too irritating to be fun. I'd call neither good (as opposed to, say, del Toro's Pacific Rim, which I'd call good and fun). Shin Godzilla is great, and I'd say Godzilla '14 is at least aporoaching greatness - the way the director uses suspense and gives a sense of scale is very powerful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We disagree about King of Monsters. Ponderous, with stupid human motives. Even with Millie B B the kid plot was intolerable, and when the monsters bowed to G at the end, I laughed.
    Give me another Shin over these Legendary any time. I said enough of what I think was wrong with GvK on that thread. No need to rehash.
    You didn't think Shin Godzilla was overly self-ponderous with weak human characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Minilla is dope. Great to see the character becoming popular and merchandised again after decades if being treated like the Adam West Batman used to be treated. Son of Godzilla also has a terrific human cast, a nice sense of escalation with the plot, the bad guys are cool marionettes, and in an era where a lot of Kaiju movies just end abruptly this movie has a really well thought out and satisfying ending.

As for new Godzilla films: Godzilla vs. Kong was fun, Godzilla: King of the Monsters was too irritating to be fun. I'd call neither good (as opposed to, say, del Toro's Pacific Rim, which I'd call good and fun). Shin Godzilla is great, and I'd say Godzilla '14 is at least aporoaching greatness - the way the director uses suspense and gives a sense of scale is very powerful.
    How does anyone like Minilla? Adam West as Batman was hilarious. Minilla never was funny, just atrocious.

I'd rank KoM above Pacific Rim. The designs were cool in PR but the daikaiju and mechas didn't have a lot of personality like the Toho ones doe.

Minilla is funny. It's just simple slapstick. A little troll getting bopped on the head with a rock or falling down and busting his ass - you know, comedy gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You didn't think Shin Godzilla was overly self-ponderous with weak human characters?
    I loved all the politics. Thought that it was what made it good along with how they did the monster stuff.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Minilla is funny. It's just simple slapstick. A little troll getting bopped on the head with a rock or falling down and busting his ass - you know, comedy gold!
    I cringed more than I laughed at it. He looks like Barney's ugly grey cousin.

I loved all the politics. Thought that it was what made it good along with how they did the monster stuff.
    Really? I realize the movie was trying to send a message, but the humans were all just cardboard. Idk why they don't get criticized but Legendary's human characters do

The monster stuff in Shin was interesting, but a bit too far from what Godzilla is, at least for me.

I can appreciate the goofy charm of Minilla and the solemnity of the original 1954 film. The variety of different tones is one of the reasons I live the genre so much - there's a movie or a show for every mood!

Really? I realize the movie was trying to send a message, but the humans were all just cardboard. Idk why they don't get criticized but Legendary's human characters do

The monster stuff in Shin was interesting, but a bit too far from what Godzilla is, at least for me.
    I didn't see that at all. The interplay of how to deal with the monster, the political gamesmanship. So much better than, "Let's destroy the planet with some monsters to prove pollution is bad".

Ultimate Member

I didn't see that at all. The interplay of how to deal with the monster, the political gamesmanship. So much better than, "Let's destroy the planet with some monsters to prove pollution is bad".
    But most of those humans in the politics weren't interesting characters. I don't think most of the the humans in GvK or KoM were great or realistic for the most part, but the ones in Shin weren't even characters. They just existed to prove some kind of point

Ultimate Member

I think Shin Godzilla, hit a modern G movie perfectly. I am sorry the Legendary Movies got in the way of making more Shin movies.
    This is exactly my position.

I know it’s not a popular one but I loved Shin Godzilla.

I loved that updated version of the Big G. I’m not really high on the Legendary version.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Well, you had to have been a little kid from a million years to have appreciated him. By the time I made it to high school, though, I wasn't watching any of those kiddie Toho films anymore.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, you had to have been a little kid from a million years to have appreciated him. By the time I made it to high school, though, I wasn't watching any of those kiddie Toho films anymore.
    I hated him as a kid.

In general I disliked all the kids they put in movies when I was a good to make kids associate with the movie more.

Ultimate Member

IMO the Legendary movies had the least annoying kids

Really? Any of the stock footage Godzilla movies with lazy plots and annoying kids were terribly worse than GvK.
    Yes really. I mean, you might have a point with the stock footage, I always found that inexcusable, but otherwise they still put effort into making it an enjoyable movie for kids I think. The stories were dumb, but you could follow the logic without too many plot holes. With Godzilla vs Kong, I felt the whole plot was just one big hole. Like, the movies for kids didn't feel like they were dumbed down to the same extent that this movie was. The only thing GvK has going for it, literally the only single thing, is the special effects. Godzilla and Kong have never looked better, have never fought better, have never been in better sets. But that's all just the CGI. Take away that, and...there's nothing left.