Page 93 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1705

Godzilla Singular Point drops on Netflix in a few hours!

Astonishing Member

I've been watching. I hate to say but I don't like it. It is nothing like the usual Godzilla stories or even close in continuity. It is rather boring as the majority of the anime is techno-babble with little action. That could be ok, you don't have to be lock stepped into the paradigm but this doesn't work.

There is little dramatic flow. A sad disappointment to me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I've been watching. I hate to say but I don't like it. It is nothing like the usual Godzilla stories or even close in continuity. It is rather boring as the majority of the anime is techno-babble with little action. That could be ok, you don't have to be lock stepped into the paradigm but this doesn't work.

Ah, that's not what I was hoping for. How are the daikaiju?

But the question I want to know is - is it better than Godzilla vs Kong? Like, if I absolutely 100% hated GvK as the worst for me ever G flick personally, might I still find sanctuary in Singular Point just to get the bad taste out that film left me?
    I just need new Godzilla content I can actually enjoy on some level...

Astonishing Member

G vs K is better in the sense of more visual action. In both, if one examines the techno-babble and plots in both, they are rather silly.

To divert, the original Gojira was a masterpiece of a meaningful movie. It has never been matched.

Only a few episodes in, but I gotta say: Singular Point is fantastic. Very happy that Toho is really experimenting with Godzilla instead of just churning out 'cookie cutter' Godzilla movies like in the '90s and '00s.

Oh, in other kaiju news: Arrow Video has put all the Gamera movies on Prime streaming (at least in the US), so now you've no excuse not to see them! Go for the trilogy!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Only a few episodes in, but I gotta say: Singular Point is fantastic. Very happy that Toho is really experimenting with Godzilla instead of just churning out 'cookie cutter' Godzilla movies like in the '90s and '00s.

Oh, in other kaiju news: Arrow Video has put all the Gamera movies on Prime streaming (at least in the US), so now you've no excuse not to see them! Go for the trilogy!
    I wouldn't call 90s movies cookie cutter. They were way more interesting than the mid 60s to mid 70s movies. The 00s were a bit repetitive in terms of plot though, but improved on some ideas

Good to know for Gamera. Maybe he'll get a movie or show now

G vs K is better in the sense of more visual action. In both, if one examines the techno-babble and plots in both, they are rather silly.

To divert, the original Gojira was a masterpiece of a meaningful movie. It has never been matched.
    Except by The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

The Heisei era ended right after it had its first dud that showed they were starting to run out of ideas. Right after Spacegodzilla they made Destroyah which was a perfect capstone and ending. But 5 years wasn't enough time for the idea well to be replenished, so outside of how nuts they got with GMK and Final Wars that series was very cookie cutter.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Heisei era ended right after it had its first dud that showed they were starting to run out of ideas. Right after Spacegodzilla they made Destroyah which was a perfect capstone and ending. But 5 years wasn't enough time for the idea well to be replenished, so outside of how nuts they got with GMK and Final Wars that series was very cookie cutter.
    I think GMK and the Kiryu saga had a few novel ideas but they were generally the same plots we'd seen before, even if they were better done in some ways. And FW was entertaining but not especially great IMO

The Heisei series at least tried new and interesting plots and ideas for most of its movies, whether they landed or not (GvKG for example). Plus it actually cared about continuity, unlike Showa and Heisei films, although most human characters in the Heisei series were interchangeable to me. And the English-speaking actors in the Heisei series were terrible. But, at least we got Junior, a massive improvement over melted grey Barney in everyway

Astonishing Member

Singular Point is as fantastic as the Fantastic Four movies were fantastic. I'm sorry. It is a bore. New Godzilla origins and paradigms are all fine but but this was a yawn.

I'm been with G from first seeing the original American version in Radio City Music Hall. The newest American and Japanese versions are worthy, the future anime show - same - this one, it's a pass.

Ultimate Member

Singular Point is as fantastic as the Fantastic Four movies were fantastic. I'm sorry. It is a bore. New Godzilla origins and paradigms are all fine but but this was a yawn.

I'm been with G from first seeing the original American version in Radio City Music Hall. The newest American and Japanese versions are worthy, the future anime show - same - this one, it's a pass.
    Which future anime show?

Astonishing Member

Oh, I meant the current Netflix anime that takes place in the future, with the returning spaceships, etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Ultimate Member

Oh, I meant the current Netflix anime that takes place in the future, with the returning spaceships, etc. Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem, I misunderstood you

I'm gong to try to watch the first 3 episodes again when I'm not tired but I fear i might be in the same camp as other posters here.

Finding a Godzilla series boring is not what I was expecting.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium