Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1705
    Ultimate Member

Is it boring because the human characters aren't interesting, or because there's too much technobabble? I don't mind technobabble but boring human characters could drag this down if they're on screen too long

Astonishing Member

IMHO:

The characters are uninteresting.
    The techno-babble conversations dominate the episodes with little action sequences.
    Those sequences are rather mild and silly. Don't want to do spoilers.
    The creatures are uninteresting.

The human characters do drag it down.

The smug introvert science guy that is a super genius that is never wrong ... has been done so much in anime and sci-fi in general, that I need it to be something different to add to that trope, if you will. The OG Jet Jaguar stuff was campy as Adam West's Batman but it was oscillating that line of idiocy/intelligence that made it work. This is just, not very engaging. I've tried both english, subs, no subs, OG audio and still ... same thing for me.

Now I thought Rodan and the use of the OG sounds was killer! But the humans seem to be the problem for me. I like the Corgi AI with the girl. Does she show up more after episode 3? I still need to rewatch the first 3 ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Ok, well, these reactions don't fill with me hope.

Okay, I slogged through it all.

I'm going to spoiler tag this.

PROS:
    spoilers:

- Gorgeous art style
    - Jet Jaguar
    - When Godzilla does show up, it is amazingly wild and beautiful
    - Anguirus' power upgrades
    - Gabara, now named Salunga, is no longer a joke and actually pretty cool
    - Enough can't be said about how stunning Godzilla and his powers are in this
    - The kaiju are animated in a way that makes them ... Feel ... Like they are people in suits . a nice touch!
    end of spoilers

CONS
    spoilers:

- Not enough Godzilla ... half the season AND then it is minutes at time in the background
    - The techno babble is a real slog most of the time, it is all metaphysical faux science, and never any payoff for all that babble
    - The evolutions of Godzilla felt like a rehash of Shin at times; I fear Godzilla is going to be a Pokemon for the next several decades (I say this as a fan of Shin)
    - I was sad we didn't get Titanosaurus, that it was just pre-evolved Godzilla
    - On that note, the Kaiju feel like an afterthought throughout the series
    - The over specification of Rodan, Manda, & Kumonga ... I thought I would like these as horde monsters but not really ... less is more ... pairs, a small clutch, etc. is better IMHO
    - Too much monologuing
    - Too many humans
    - No character variance ... they're all flat, clinical, and cynical exposition dumpers
    - The story separates the main protags for ... reasons? The disconnect really hurts the narrative.
    - Nobody seems to die during all this destruction
    - The story felt tedious most of the time ... like they did the inverse of the joke, "Godzilla movies would be better without the humans."
    - Even the MacGuffin, the Orthogonal Diagonalizer, is tedious!
    - The Mechagodzilla reveal felt forced and flat
    end of spoilers

I was expecting this to be more like the Ultraman series with lots of action and new spins on the franchise.

We get the new spins, amazing art, but the plot and action are sorely lacking.

I'm 50/50 on if I will watch again or watch season 2 (which is already being made).
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-30-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Season 2 is confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Season 2 is confirmed?
    In doing more digging, nothing official past actors are signed on for more seasons.

And Orange & Bone (I think that was the name of the company) has been cagey about season 2 with some art teases (they may just be unused parts of SP S1).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In doing more digging, nothing official past actors are signed on for more seasons.

And Orange & Bone (I think that was the name of the company) has been cagey about season 2 with some art teases (they may just be unused parts of SP S1).
    Ok. I have yet to watch this but I was hoping it would be good.

Ultimate Member

Okay, I slogged through it all.

I'm going to spoiler tag this.

PROS:
    spoilers:

- Gorgeous art style
    - Jet Jaguar
    - When Godzilla does show up, it is amazingly wild and beautiful
    - Anguirus' power upgrades
    - Gabara, now named Salunga, is no longer a joke and actually pretty cool
    - Enough can't be said about how stunning Godzilla and his powers are in this
    end of spoilers

CONS
    spoilers:

- Not enough Godzilla ... half the season AND then it is minutes at time in the background
    - The techno babble is a real slog most of the time, it is all metaphysical faux science, and never any payoff for all that babble
    - The evolutions of Godzilla felt like a rehash of Shin at times; I fear Godzilla is going to be a Pokemon for the next several decades (I say this as a fan of Shin)
    - I was sad we didn't get Titanosaurus, that it was just pre-evolved Godzilla
    - On that note, the Kaiju feel like an afterthought throughout the series
    - The over specification of Rodan, Manda, & Kumonga ... I thought I would like these as horde monsters but not really ... less is more ... pairs, a small clutch, etc. is better IMHO
    - Too much monologuing
    - Too many humans
    - No character variance ... they're all flat, clinical, and cynical exposition dumpers
    - The story separates the main protags for ... reasons?
    - Nobody seems to die during all this destruction
    - The story felt tedious most of the time ... like they did the inverse of the joke, "Godzilla movies would be better without the humans."
    - Even the MacGuffin, the Orthogonal Diagonalizer, is tedious!
    - The Mechagodzilla reveal felt forced and flat
    end of spoilers

I was expecting this to be more like the Ultraman series with lots of action and new spins on the franchise.

We get the new spins, amazing art, but the plot and action are sorely lacking.

I'm 50/50 on if I will watch again or watch season 2 (which is already being made).
    Well, I guess I won't be spending time watching this one.

Singular Point is dope as hell. Seems like a radical take, but in it's own way it takes the genre all the way back to the basics of mystery sci-fi.

Ultimate Member

Do Rodan and Angilas get treated well? I'm not looking for spoilers but just a general assessment.

Do Rodan and Angilas get treated well? I'm not looking for spoilers but just a general assessment.
    Rodan is on my cons, Anguirus on my pros.

Rodan is more of a "YMMV" take. For others, they loved it.

Anguirus seems to be getting universal praise.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-30-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Rodan is on my cons, Anguirus on my pros.

Rodan is more of a "YMMV" take. For others, they loved it.

Anguirus seems to be getting universal praise.
    Good to hear that about Angilas but I'd like Rodan to get a victory. When he first met Godzilla he could take him on. He's been steadily weakened since. Same with King Ghidorah up until KoM

Good to hear that about Angilas but I'd like Rodan to get a victory. When he first met Godzilla he could take him on. He's been steadily weakened since. Same with King Ghidorah up until KoM
    Well ... you might not like this one then ... but as I said, YMMV.

Ultimate Member

Well ... you might not like this one then ... but as I said, YMMV.
    Oh darn. Well, I'll find out eventually. The trailers showed some kind of big shadowy Rodan so it got me a little hyped at least for that. But some things don't change I guess

Is JJ an improvement over his previous appearances?