Page 98 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1705
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think they said they were - I mean, clearly they were interested after the run away success of Shin domestically, but that was 5 years ago with not a peep since outside animation...
    I guess animation took precedence

Part of Legendary's contract with Toho was that Toho couldn't produce a live action Godzilla film when a Legendary Godzilla film was in production. Shin Godzilla was made because delays between Godzilla '14 and the subsequent MonsterVerse entries allowed a window that Toho took advantage of. Animation has been a workaround for Toho to make new Godzilla stuff domestically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I guess animation took precedence
    It didn't take precedent, it took a loophole like Angilasman said.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Part of Legendary's contract with Toho was that Toho couldn't produce a live action Godzilla film when a Legendary Godzilla film was in production. Shin Godzilla was made because delays between Godzilla '14 and the subsequent MonsterVerse entries allowed a window that Toho took advantage of. Animation has been a workaround for Toho to make new Godzilla stuff domestically.
    I'm hoping when they renewed the contract they changed it so as to give Toho more leeway to make live action films.

Ultimate Member

It didn't take precedent, it took a loophole like Angilasman said.

I'm hoping when they renewed the contract they changed it so as to give Toho more leeway to make live action films.
    Maybe we'll finally get that Gigan origin movie. See how he looks before becoming a cyborg

Maybe we'll finally get that Gigan origin movie. See how he looks before becoming a cyborg
    I don't know, I kind of like the mystery of Gigan. Like, why would anyone take that crazy dino chicken kaiju and make him a buzz-saw wielding cyborg? Kind of fun to just speculate you know?

Ultimate Member

I don't know, I kind of like the mystery of Gigan. Like, why would anyone take that crazy dino chicken kaiju and make him a buzz-saw wielding cyborg? Kind of fun to just speculate you know?
    I'm being sarcastic. I guess that didn't come across haha. But I'd like to see more of him.

Astonishing Member

Not Godzilla but my siblings got me these for my birthday:
    IMG_0268.JPG

Ultimate Member

No Gamera the Brave?

Astonishing Member

No Gamera the Brave?
    It's in the Heisei box set. The entire Gamera movie series is in these two boxes.

Showa box has:
    Gamera the Giant Monster
    Gamera vs Barugon
    Gamera vs Gyaos
    Gamera vs Viras
    Gamera vs Guiron
    Gamera vs Jiger
    Gamera vs Zigra
    Gamera: Super Monster

Note: most discs have two or three movies per disc in this set.

Heisei set contains:
    Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe
    Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
    Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
    Gamera the Brave

Ultimate Member

I was just joking. You're probably better off without GtB

Nonetheless, that's pretty cool

Astonishing Member

I was just joking. You're probably better off without GtB

Nonetheless, that's pretty cool
    If I can take the early ones and I can take the apocalyptic ones, then I can take the one where Gamera is a big-eyed soft boy who does his best.

Gamera the Brave is dope. The kids are realistic and relatable and the child actors are terrific. Zedus is one of the most underrated kaiju out there; awesome suit and great suit performance (same actor as Zeiram, the Queen Legion, and GMK's Godzilla).

Anyway, speaking of Kadokawa/Daiei Studio films: Arrow Video's new Daimajin box set is awesome. Pick it up soon, because when the limited edition sells out it'll be replaced by a standard release that'll lack the book, poster and art cards and'll probably only be marginally cheaper.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    If I can take the early ones and I can take the apocalyptic ones, then I can take the one where Gamera is a big-eyed soft boy who does his best.
    That's the worst version of Gamera IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Gamera the Brave is dope. The kids are realistic and relatable and the child actors are terrific. Zedus is one of the most underrated kaiju out there; awesome suit and great suit performance (same actor as Zeiram, the Queen Legion, and GMK's Godzilla).

Anyway, speaking of Kadokawa/Daiei Studio films: Arrow Video's new Daimajin box set is awesome. Pick it up soon, because when the limited edition sells out it'll be replaced by a standard release that'll lack the book, poster and art cards and'll probably only be marginally cheaper.
    I though Gamera the Brave was a major step back from the Heisei movies. Zedus was cool but the rest seemed like an annoying parody of Showa Gamera

^ The kids in The Brave were realistic, not the idealized kids of the old movies. If anything, it's takes the sillier aspects of the old ones and does them seriously. It's mostly the kid and the Dad dealing with the fallout from the Mom's death a year earlier. It's Super 8 before Super 8 (and better!).
    Last edited by Angilasman; 08-15-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

That's the worst version of Gamera IMO

I though Gamera the Brave was a major step back from the Heisei movies. Zedus was cool but the rest seemed like an annoying parody of Showa Gamera
    Where should the series have gone next in your view? Because the thing about Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera was that it was just that: Kaneko's version. Whoever made the next version was going to have to do something different. And they did that by doubling down on the "friend to all children" thing and making it a family film.

Right now it doesn't matter much because . . . I keep walking away and doing other things when these movies are on rather than sitting and watching them. I don't think I dislike these movies so much as my attention span is just shot.