Page 99 of 114 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1705
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ The kids in The Brave were realistic, not the idealized kids of the old movies. If anything, it's takes the sillier aspects of the old ones and does them seriously. It's mostly the kid and the Dad dealing with the fallout from the Mom's death a year earlier. It's Super 8 before Super 8 (and better!).
    I guess so. I didn't absolutely hate it, but I didn't like it either because it still evoked too much of the silly 'friend of children' stuff

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Where should the series have gone next in your view? Because the thing about Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera was that it was just that: Kaneko's version. Whoever made the next version was going to have to do something different. And they did that by doubling down on the "friend to all children" thing and making it a family film.

Right now it doesn't matter much because . . . I keep walking away and doing other things when these movies are on rather than sitting and watching them. I don't think I dislike these movies so much as my attention span is just shot.
    I wouldn't want the series to rehash the Heisei movies. I just didn't want it to become oriented towards kids. I'm all for new takes and new directions, but not anything childish. The 'friend of children' thing was always too hokey for me.

Imagine if you would that you're off to visit family accompanied by some friends, largely minding your own business, but on the way there some stranger shows up and beats you down and knocks you out. Eventually you manage to make it to your family's house, but no one's home. Still shook up from the random attack and beating you took you go to the kitchen to grab a knife just to feel a little safer, only to have your assailant from earlier bust down the door and proceed to beat you down and stomp you so terribly your heart stops beating. Luckily one of the friends you brought along happens to be an EMT and manages to get your heart beating again. As you awaken another of your friends points out that your assailant has an assailant of their own, who is proceeding to try and kill the stranger who literally just killed you for a little bit. Your friend tells you that the person kicking the butt of your would-be murderer is your real enemy, and this making sense to you, you go out and kill your murderer's would-be murderer. Your assailant then gets up and glares at you until you drop the knife and show submission. This is enough to get your assailant to relent, and they decide not to murder you again, but on the condition you move into your family's basement (turns out your family had all died and no one is home) and never show your mug outside again so your former assailant doesn't have to see you. You gladly do so, as this is somehow a happy ending.

This is the plot to GvK.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Imagine if you would that you're off to visit family accompanied by some friends, largely minding your own business, but on the way there some stranger shows up and beats you down and knocks you out. Eventually you manage to make it to your family's house, but no one's home. Still shook up from the random attack and beating you took you go to the kitchen to grab a knife just to feel a little safer, only to have your assailant from earlier bust down the door and proceed to beat you down and stomp you so terribly your heart stops beating. Luckily one of the friends you brought along happens to be an EMT and manages to get your heart beating again. As you awaken another of your friends points out that your assailant has an assailant of their own, who is proceeding to try and kill the stranger who literally just killed you for a little bit. Your friend tells you that the person kicking the butt of your would-be murderer is your real enemy, and this making sense to you, you go out and kill your murderer's would-be murderer. Your assailant then gets up and glares at you until you drop the knife and show submission. This is enough to get your assailant to relent, and they decide not to murder you again, but on the condition you move into your family's basement (turns out your family had all died and no one is home) and never show your mug outside again so your former assailant doesn't have to see you. You gladly do so, as this is somehow a happy ending.

This is the plot to GvK.
    You're trying to apply this logic to just this movie when it's true of the entire Godzilla series. Why start complaining now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You're trying to apply this logic to just this movie when it's true of the entire Godzilla series. Why start complaining now?
    But...this plot literally isn't true of the entire Godzilla series. Yes, Godzilla has fought a lot of monsters over the 60-70 something years he's been around, but never has this "logic" ever been displayed in any other movie. Never has a kaiju tried so hard to kill another for literally no reason only to be saved by that other kaiju and them part. There's literally no other plot in the franchise like that. The closest was when Godzilla and Rodan teamed up thanks to Mothra to fight Ghidorah, and even that is very different and not at all like GvK. So you're asking why I'm complaining now, but your premise is wrong - I'm complaining now because literally this logic just doesn't apply anywhere else in the series and so is not true. Unless you can provide some examples where this logic is shared elsewhere in the series?

Ultimate Member

But...this plot literally isn't true of the entire Godzilla series. Yes, Godzilla has fought a lot of monsters over the 60-70 something years he's been around, but never has this "logic" ever been displayed in any other movie. Never has a kaiju tried so hard to kill another for literally no reason only to be saved by that other kaiju and them part. There's literally no other plot in the franchise like that. The closest was when Godzilla and Rodan teamed up thanks to Mothra to fight Ghidorah, and even that is very different and not at all like GvK. So you're asking why I'm complaining now, but your premise is wrong - I'm complaining now because literally this logic just doesn't apply anywhere else in the series and so is not true. Unless you can provide some examples where this logic is shared elsewhere in the series?
    You just gave an example. Godzilla vs Rodan in Ghidorah, when they fought each other then teamed up. And Godzilla suddenly being friendly to Mothra in that same movie. Similar thing happened in GvMG. Or anytime a former enemy becomes an ally. It just happened faster in GvK

You just gave an example. Godzilla vs Rodan in Ghidorah, when they fought each other then teamed up. And Godzilla suddenly being friendly to Mothra in that same movie. Similar thing happened in GvMG. Or anytime a former enemy becomes an ally. It just happened faster in GvK
    I gave the only example of anything even remotely close, and then went on to say that even that was extremely different and not apples to apples. To me it isn't similar (an do you really want me to type out all my reasons why? It all boils down to the same thing - they're not, imo, similar). So one example that to me isn't an example but just the only thing I could think of one could try and make that argument on. So yeah, now's the time to complain.

Also, it didn't happen faster in GvK because they're not allies. They didn't team up. Kong just saved his assailant's ass because the girl told him to kill the robot. That's not them ending as allies.

Ultimate Member

I gave the only example of anything even remotely close, and then went on to say that even that was extremely different and not apples to apples. To me it isn't similar (an do you really want me to type out all my reasons why? It all boils down to the same thing - they're not, imo, similar). So one example that to me isn't an example but just the only thing I could think of one could try and make that argument on. So yeah, now's the time to complain.

Also, it didn't happen faster in GvK because they're not allies. They didn't team up. Kong just saved his assailant's ass because the girl told him to kill the robot. That's not them ending as allies.
    Look, I don't think either of us will convince the other of anything.

Look, I don't think either of us will convince the other of anything.
    Nope, I don't think so. You clearly really enjoyed it and had a great time - and I've never had a worse time watching a movie with Godzilla in it. Or Kong in it. I seriously, really had a bad time. From now one when someone asks me who peed in my cornflakes, I can point to this movie as my answer.

Ultimate Member

Nope, I don't think so. You clearly really enjoyed it and had a great time - and I've never had a worse time watching a movie with Godzilla in it. Or Kong in it. I seriously, really had a bad time. From now one when someone asks me who peed in my cornflakes, I can point to this movie as my answer.
    Ok. Seems like an intense response there, but that's fine.

Ok. Seems like an intense response there, but that's fine.
    Eh, not really - not like movies you love or hate come up every day of your life. Unless you meant the cornflakes bit, which is meant to be taken a bit humorously.

Ultimate Member

Eh, not really - not like movies you love or hate come up every day of your life. Unless you meant the cornflakes bit, which is meant to be taken a bit humorously.
    Yeah, I meant your cornflakes jokes. There a quite a few movies I dislike so sometimes I'll make a joke like that. Like "this sucks, but it's still better than watching so and so"

Yeah, I meant your cornflakes jokes. There a quite a few movies I dislike so sometimes I'll make a joke like that. Like "this sucks, but it's still better than watching so and so"
    Yeah, meant that to lighten the mood. There's not been a lot of media I've liked lately, so I'm starting to grow aware of how most of my posts then are negative - since there's no movies I'm feeling positive over I've been trying to at least have some of my negative comments be more tongue in cheek, but for some reason it always seems to be taken so seriously (here and elsewhere).

Ultimate Member

Yeah, meant that to lighten the mood. There's not been a lot of media I've liked lately, so I'm starting to grow aware of how most of my posts then are negative - since there's no movies I'm feeling positive over I've been trying to at least have some of my negative comments be more tongue in cheek, but for some reason it always seems to be taken so seriously (here and elsewhere).
    That's fine. Maybe some of the upcoming movies will be more to your liking. 2022 seems like it'll be a big year. Meanwhile, I'll avoid taking things too seriously

I,for one, absolutely loved GAMERA THE BRAVE. I think there's something really special about the franchise when it went through its children's film phase. The Japanese understand that kids like their fairy tales to be a little dark and there are moments of genuine horror and menace in those movies. As much as I enjoyed the previous trilogy, I found GAMERA THE BRAVE a return to those glory days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BChristgau View Post
    I,for one, absolutely loved GAMERA THE BRAVE. I think there's something really special about the franchise when it went through its children's film phase. The Japanese understand that kids like their fairy tales to be a little dark and there are moments of genuine horror and menace in those movies. As much as I enjoyed the previous trilogy, I found GAMERA THE BRAVE a return to those glory days.
    That's fine, but I'd hardly call that his glory days. Those films were rather shoddy and juvenile, compared to the Heisei.