Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

This is an interesting topic for me, because I'm not North American. So, for me, straight white guys are just as interesting as any other ethnic or cultural group. That said, there's an awful lot of them out there...

I think diversity is not so much about the individual characters, but more about the world the characters inhabit. That's what makes Kamala Khan interesting - she's not just one "non-standard" character in a standard white comic, she brings her world with her.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

This is my hierarchy:

1. A character that I like enough to invest in and follow almost religiously.
    2. A creative team, with the edge going to great scripting over great art, if I have to choose between the two.
    3. Treatment of nontraditional characters that expands on their lore and takes them to greater heights.

Given the above, it's a no brainer that I would subscribe to Mighty Avengers and the Ultimates. I'm sure there are other comics that if given a chance might interest me, but my entertainment time is limited, given my heavy workload and premium on free time. One book a month is about all Marvel will get from me, unless my favorite character gets his own series in addition to the team book.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    I buy a book because it has a creator I enjoy (or who appears to be interesting, in case of new ones), writing something interesting. One thing I have learned is that it's better to follow creators than to follow characters (especially now that we have this huge diaspora to self owned work).

I couldn't care less about diversity when picking what I'm going to read - I don't need, nor really want, to read about characters who are like myself. I think it's very short-sighted to want to read only comics that are a mirror of oneself. Marvel's strong tendency of tokenism is, IMO, more an insult to women and minorities than an attitued of respect and inclusiveness.
    You know, I have learned the opposite, that, except for Skottie Young, is better to follow characters than writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    You know, I have learned the opposite, that, except for Skottie Young, is better to follow characters than writers.
    I think most people have a mixture of that. There are certain characters I'm likely to follow regardless of creative team - e.g. Captain Britain, Miles Morales, Hulk - and also a small pool of writers and artists who always have my attention. It's good to have a little diversity of both content and creative style.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    That's not what I was saying. I was responding to a comment someone made that people were buying bad books by straight white male creators because they were scared to let those books go. If someone likes a book, it doesn't matter if I like it or not, they should get it.

What I was saying is that if you feel a book is bad and you keep buying, that's no good...Also, Dan slotts spiderman is genius.
    Ah, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You mean W.I.T.C.H? I liked the cartoon series the comic was based on but haven't been able to find the comic itself.
    I loved that cartoon series, too.

Diversity in comics: What factors do you take into account when deciding what title to read?
    I have no "factors" about diversity in comics. I really don't care. I read books about characters I like by writers and artist I like.

Ultimate Member

I was responding to a comment someone made that people were buying bad books by straight white male creators because they were scared to let those books go. If someone likes a book, it doesn't matter if I like it or not, they should get it.
    I am talking about the faction of folks who keep buying badly done books and then complain about it. If you think the book is bad-common sense says stop buying it.

Yet we got folks who will keep buying that book because they don't want the character in limbo.

Or if it's a team book-they don't want certain characters being added-especially those of color. I'm sorry if Young Avengers was a bad book that you kept buying, then Marvel adding say Prodigy should not be the final straw to stop buying it.

Yet we have had folks drop books once certain persons of color are added. Especially if you never read a single story with there character.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 08-08-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Off-topic

Also, there are real life groups that are either mostly minority or all a certain minority. Are they useless? Because some of those groups are the only reason why I've survived this long.

And why can't superhero comics reflect that occasionally?
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

real life groups that are either mostly minority or all a certain minority
    Yes, that's what I mean too - it's not the individual CHARACTER, it's the WORLD they bring with them into comics that I want to share.

Well, diversity is a factor for me, but not the only factor. I have to like the premise, the writer, the art, and the characters. I am not the biggest fan of Miles Morales, Luke Cage, or Black Panther, even though I look like them.

My tastes have changed as I've gotten older.

For me its art and concept that makes me pick up a book, but if it also has someone who looks like me that's a plus. I normally like scifi based characters and not the street levels(who most minority characters seem to fall under). Thats why my favorite POC's from Marvel are BP, Bishop and Storm.

Good Art
    Well Written.

Thats it.

Something that sounds different and outside the box. I have my staple and then I look for stuff that is different from that. That is why I am reading Wytches and Saga, though I am tiring of Saga.

Diversity matters to me. Comics are behind the curve in term of employment and representation of minorities. So comics that work to fix that either get my attention, get me to spread the word, or if they are good enough, subscribe to (not just buy).
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Diversity, especially in team books--matters to me a lot. I've mostly lived in urban areas and like to see a world that looks like I live in when I walk down the street. There's a diner in my building run by Bosnians and Croats. Next door to them is a black-run soul food restaurant that has a diverse clientele. A little further down the street is a sports bar that I frequent--and their staff and clientele are diverse. My multiple circles of friends are from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds. My background? I'm a black man who lived in NYC and was from immigrant parents from the Caribbean.

Solo books are different. If I like the creators and character, I'm in. I love Luke Cage, Kamala Khan, Peter Parker, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Blue Marvel, Iron Fist, Hawkeye (Clint Barton--can't stand Kate Bishop, ugh), and Jessica Jones (I know, right?).

Writer, artist, and characters are important things as well--but diversity is right up there with those as well. I use the same criteria for what television shows that I watch (which is why I never watched Friends, Seinfeld, or Mad Men--but also why I watched Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, and Community).
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk