Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    My point being, there is no male version running around at the same time as Captain Marvel. She now owns that mantle. She-Hulk isn't the Hulk, Batgirl isn't the main Bat, Captain Marvel is the Captain.
    You could make that argument for Thor now too.

Historically, they've always only really had the one flagship character, Spider-Man. There are some who could've been the female equivalent -- X-Women, Invisible Women, Wasp, Spider-Woman when she had her own cartoon -- but I'd say the only real examples they have now are Black Widow or Captain Marvel and even then, it's the bare minimum. To me, for Marvel to have a true flagship female is if they had a female character who has their own comic series, film series, video games, and general merchandise like action figures and T-shirts that are as easy to come by as ones that have Captain America's shield. We're not there yet.

BANNED

Atm, it is Carol Danvers and Marvel is pushing hard to make her fit the mantle. Which is ofc helped that none of her competitors like Storm or Black Widow currently seem capable of carrying a book of their own. Possibly also helped that Jane Foster is only temporary... actually she appears to be terminal.
    And atm the only really rising competition is X-23 as Wolverine, who has the herculean challenge overcoming all the rage leveled at her for actually replacing Logan. Kamala Khan... despite her popularity atm, it's kinda hard to see her as a rival to Danvers... as long as Danvers is alive and active.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    You could make that argument for Thor now too.
    Thor Odinson is still around though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Most of Marvel's female super heroes lack something to really make them standout as a flagship character. They are either derived from male characters, usually team characters, or have no rogue's gallery/supporting cast of their own.
    They'd honestly need a time machine in order to properly develop and promote a female character that can stand out like Wonder Woman.
    You can say the same about DC. Plus only die hard WW fans really care about her Rogues gallery. Wonder Woman benefits hugely from a great name and being first.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    You can say the same about DC. Plus only die hard WW fans really care about her Rogues gallery. Wonder Woman benefits hugely from a great name and being first.
    Most rogues gallery outside of Batman's and Superman's don't get taken very seriously. Even then, Wonder Woman has recognizable villains like Cheetah and Giganta (with Circe and Ares to a lesser extent) whether or not they're used well is another thing.
    With DC, I think they fall into the trap of only relying on Wondy for their female representation. Still, they do have Black Canary who has stood on her own merit almost as long as Wonder Woman (albeit with less prominence). Even their derivative characters like Hawkgirl and Zatanna could be considered to overshadow their male counterparts.
    Marvel doesn't even have that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Most rogues gallery outside of Batman's and Superman's don't get taken very seriously. Even then, Wonder Woman has recognizable villains like Cheetah and Giganta (with Circe and Ares to a lesser extent) whether or not they're used well is another thing.
    With DC, I think they fall into the trap of only relying on Wondy for their female representation. Still, they do have Black Canary who has stood on her own merit almost as long as Wonder Woman (albeit with less prominence). Even their derivative characters like Hawkgirl and Zatanna could be considered to overshadow their male counterparts.
    Marvel doesn't even have that.
    Ehh.If you take out the Bat family(All of his spin off characters matter) and Wonder Woman, I think its about the same. Black Widow and Black Canary are about the same level(comic wise). Widow is probably in a better spot now.

Wonder Woman being arguably the top five most recognizable comic book icons, still hasnt been able to maintain a secondary series.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Ehh.If you take out the Bat family(All of his spin off characters matter) and Wonder Woman, I think its about the same. Black Widow and Black Canary are about the same level(comic wise). Widow is probably in a better spot now.

Wonder Woman being arguably the top five most recognizable comic book icons, still hasnt been able to maintain a secondary series.
    Black Widow is definitely in a better spot right now, but she doesn't have the strongest history. Her positives are that she has some of her own villains, but she was never the most prominent heroine until she was in a movie. Up until recently, I think her best time was probably in the bomberjacket Avengers. Historically, I'd give the edge to Canary as she has at least been a member of the Justice League/Justice Society or the star of the Birds of Prey for nearly her entire existence.

Also, I think Wonder Woman has at least 3-4 series right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Black Widow, Captain Marvel, or Ms. Marvel.

Storm isn't even in the running and hasn't been since the 90s.
    What exactly made Storm drop so far off the radar??

at this point, clearly Carol Danvers, on the comic book side of things, and now poised to be the "movie face" of the company.

At one point from the early 90s, leading into the release of the X-Men movies, it could have been Storm. Marvel wasn't interested. Oh well..

Storm's branding is minimal. Always has been. Aside from certain random toys, never really been pushed. There should have been a barbie doll by now. seriously.
    There should be way more T-shirts and mugs, and other merchandise with Storm-- not her in a group, her by herself!! Elektra gets more merchandise love than her. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-22-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Should be Jessica Drew

Or Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Storm's branding is minimal. Always has been. Aside from certain random toys, never really been pushed. There should have been a barbie doll by now. seriously.
    There should be way more T-shirts and mugs, and other merchandise with Storm-- not her in a group, her by herself!! Elektra gets more merchandise love than her. It's ridiculous.
    I had a Storm Barbie when I was a kid.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    What exactly made Storm drop so far off the radar??
    Probably movies nonsense. I miss the days when she was on par with Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Probably movies nonsense. I miss the days when she was on par with Wonder Woman.
    All of this, X men have had it rough I recall when storm was THE female hero at marvel

Now it's gotta be carol, who I think hasn't been handled well for a long time, which is a shame imo

MOLLY HAYES

just jokes