Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

I guess it depends on what question the OP was asking (note: my answer pertains to comics, not to the cinematic continuities). No matter what the actual question, my answer is that there probably isn't one.

If we're talking about prominence, I'd guess that Captain Danvers-Marvel has the current claim on that title in the comics, because she's the one they've been pushing the hardest. Fifteen years ago, I might have said that role belonged to She-Hulk, and Storm certainly deserves a mention. However, the fact that the prominence seems to shift from one character to another suggests that there's no one with Wonder Woman's consistent lead role.

If we're talking about a character that fills Wonder Woman "ecological niche" in the MU, there definitely isn't one. At least, not exactly.

Wonder Woman was created as a superhero for girls to identify with, and as a symbol of feminine strength and independence (whether successfully executed on a consistent basis or not). The vast majority of Marvel's original female characters (not counting name retreads) were created as either appendages or derivatives of male characters. None were created as a woman's hero.

A case could be made for Storm, but if you go back to the first 20 years of her history, her story was more about reconciliation of her humanity with the goddess she believed she'd become than either her race or gender. Another case could be made for Ms. Khan-Marvel, but her story is more about diversity in a broader sense than in feminism. Yet another case might be made for Captain Monica-Marvel; aside from the name, she was created and forcefully cross-promoted as a unique and standalone character, but her story was never really about feminism either. Some might point to Power Princess of the Squadron Supreme, however, aside from being an adaptation of Wonder Woman, her native civilization was about genetic and philosophical advancement (they were basically her earth's version of the Inhumans), and her backstory was more about advancing society as a whole than about the role of women in it. Oddly enough, the best case might be made for Thundra, even though she debuted as both an antagonist, and as something of a sendup of Wonder Woman.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone's created a character equal to Wonder Woman, neither as a feminist symbol, nor in terms of consistent popularity.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-01-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Black widow at the moment but give it time and Captain Marvel will take over.

BANNED

Captain Marvel is. She's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent? The answer is Wolverine (yes, Logan). Just like Wonder Woman is third place behind Batman and Superman, Wolverine is third behind Spider-Man and Iron Man.

Wonder Woman is the third most recognizable character from DC's lineup, regardless of her gender. There is no female equivalent in Marvel's lineup. You can reasonably expect virtually everyone you encounter to know, at least vaguely, who Wonder Woman is, whether they're 15 or 80 years old. The same can't be said about Storm, Invisible Woman, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, etc. Wonder Woman for DC is the most recognized, the most popular, most published, most historically significant female hero with years of pop culture and other media behind her. If we're talking most well-known? I'd have to say Black Widow. If we're talking most popular among fans? I don't think there's a clear victor. If we're talking most published in comics and other media? It's probably Storm.

But anyway, Marvel's Wonder Woman equivalent is Wolverine, IMO.
    Well, given that X-23 is now Wolverine............................

Jen Walters was the first name that popped into my head. And they made her the Baroness of that A-Force Secret Wars zone which suggests someone at Marvel might think of her as their top female hero as well.

But no, it's not clear cut like it is at DC. Somebody in Marvel corporate wants Carol Danvers to have that role, but to me that's like DC pushing Hal Jordan, there are reasons why that character's star waxes and wanes over the years but there's a perceived corporate need for her at the moment. People brought up Storm and/or Sue Storm in this thread who are both good suggestions but the movie situation complicates things.

I think it's changed over the years. At one point I would've said Storm, but know I say Captain Marvel.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

None, really. All of Marvel's best and most recognized women are stuck on teams, and they lack all ability to stand on their own as characters because they're too stuck in the team mentality. The other women are essentially minor and unimportant.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Not only does Marvel not have a flagship female, I think you can make a case that they no longer have a flagship character of either gender. At one time you could have said Spiderman, but I'd argue that he has taken a back seat in recent years, do to movie rights issues.

Ultimate Member

Jean Grey, Invisible Woman, Scarlet Witch and the Wasp are the 'first four' leading ladies of Marvel, IMO. But the MCU was restricted from using two of them (Jean and Sue), Wanda was cray-cray, evil, dead and / or had plot device powers, and Janet was dead in the comics at the start of the MCU and 'off-limits' because of the Edgar Wright movie in development limbo (which, it turns out, wasn't going to use her anyway...), leaving Marvel in the awkward position of being unable to use any of their classic leading ladies, and so their token female founding Avenger was Black Widow, a character who showed up as an Avenger over a *decade* later...

Storm easily outpaces many of them as a classic, and when Marvel and DC had a crossover, Storm was the 'iconic' leading lady they picked to go up against Wonder Woman. But, again, unavailable for the MCU.

Black Widow currently gets a lot of play, because of the MCU, but she was a historical footnote, barely as relevant today as Valkyrie or Moondragon, before appearing in Iron Man 2. Carol Danvers similarly had been mostly shuffled to the side, with her two most significant storylines being mind-jobbed into giving birth to her extra-dimensional rapist and then going off to live with him, and losing her powers to Rogue, who ended up much more successful a character. Woo.

Right now, I'd go with Storm. Even after the mad push to make Carol the 'Wonder Woman of Marvel' (complete with new Wonder Woman-y red, gold and blue color scheme), I think Storm's just flat-out a better character, with a more interesting and original powerset and unique 'brand' (as in, she's not a spin-off of a male character, either in powers or origin).

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Any chance there was for Susan Storm to be Marvel's lead female has gone down the drain with the cancellation of the Fantastic Four comic and the apparent demise of Sue herself. I would say the two leaders are Storm and Carol Danvers and the edge probably goes to Carol.

Marvel doesn't own a woman flagship as wonder woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Jean Grey, Invisible Woman, Scarlet Witch and the Wasp are the 'first four' leading ladies of Marvel, IMO. But the MCU was restricted from using two of them (Jean and Sue), Wanda was cray-cray, evil, dead and / or had plot device powers, and Janet was dead in the comics at the start of the MCU and 'off-limits' because of the Edgar Wright movie in development limbo (which, it turns out, wasn't going to use her anyway...), leaving Marvel in the awkward position of being unable to use any of their classic leading ladies, and so their token female founding Avenger was Black Widow, a character who showed up as an Avenger over a *decade* later...
    Well, lets not forget the former Ms Marvel. She has gained in popularity since House of M, becoming Tony Stark's "do girl" in Civil War, featured prominently in Bendis' Might Avengers as well as her own solo series that lasted 50 issues(not too bad for a female solo series). All of this took place long before the Avengers movie. I don't think Marvel wanted to introduced a lead female character, dressed like a stripper, called "Ms. Marvel. So, Marvel canceled her series and turned her into Captain Marvel two years later. There is also the challenge of introducing such a powerful character with such a convoluted origin story. Now as the timeline progresses closer towards Infinity War, Carol's inclusion in the MCU would seem all the more natural.

That's sad about Wasp. She was a founding Avenger, but instead we get Black Widow and Hawkeye. Despite Whedon's love for Natasha, he really wanted Wasp, and not Widow as an Avenger. I can't say I'm a big fan on Edgar Wright for sitting on Ant-Man for so long.

Storm easily outpaces many of them as a classic, and when Marvel and DC had a crossover, Storm was the 'iconic' leading lady they picked to go up against Wonder Woman. But, again, unavailable for the MCU.
    That may have been true back in the 80s and 90s, but the Avengers have clearly replaced the X-Men as Marvel's flagship team, so its not so clear cut as to who the flagship heroine is. I'd say its between Captain Marvel and Black Widow.

Right now, I'd go with Storm. Even after the mad push to make Carol the 'Wonder Woman of Marvel' (complete with new Wonder Woman-y red, gold and blue color scheme), I think Storm's just flat-out a better character, with a more interesting and original powerset and unique 'brand' (as in, she's not a spin-off of a male character, either in powers or origin).
    I could care less for storm tbh. She comes across as a total Mary Sue with a god complex. Characters like that just bore me to death. I prefer characters with actual faults.

In my heart, Storm, but one could argue Jean Grey, even in Death!!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

BANNED

I still think Squirrel Girl is rapidly increasing her popularity. So i wont ne surprised if she'll end up as Marvel's flagship female.

Right now there's plenty of arguments to say that it can be any one of the prominent heroines these past few years, or none.

For better or worse though, it likely will be Captain Marvel once her movie hits.